Thoughts about SpaceX Starlink Internet Service ?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Stevie Dude, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

upload_2024-4-14_18-28-24.png

Anyone has any experience on SpaceX Starlink Internet Service ?

The hardware is around $500 (before tax and shipping) I think it's kinda pricey and the monthly commitment is fairly high (around 20-30% more than the something of equivalent speed) compared to local internet service here, and you don't get public IP unless you subs to the Priority plan (Residential plan being the cheapest) which is even more expensive. So it's kinda a big no for now logically but still keeping my option open plus I'm just curious about few things.

- stability, it's a wireless connection and clearly mentioned needed "clear sky view" for it to operate at its full potential. So that means weather will play a big factor for its connection right ?
    - what is its advantage, satellite based internet connection compared to the usual broadband/fibre cable/wired internet service which IMO is pretty hard to beat especially when I've been living with under 5ms ping for a really long time.
    - security, should we trust the self-proclaimed leader of the free speech Elon Musk ? he is shady and all but damn he's not half as evil as our local authorities here.
    - there's a residential and mobile plan but both is using the same hardware, is it possible to travel with the damn antenna when you go fishing/camping in the jungle or something ? I believe in the plan the difference mentioned only the mobile plan supports connection while you are moving on RVs or something but still it's the same hardware used for it.
    - do you have any plan to switch to it in the future ?
    - or this service is not for us mere mortals but more suitable for the rich mfs with boats and stuff that has money to burn ? even when it was advertised as being the solution for rural areas or remote location that internet services doesn't exist.
    - idk, anything cool or bad about it ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  3. arhythmtech

arhythmtech Member

have starlink at my cabin. had many snowy days and nights this winter, never lost signal. it is better for more remote type of places. also have family friends who used it on their sail boat while crossing the pacific. they had internet the entire time. it will only get better with more of their satellites being launched.

4. awkward

awkward Noisemaker

I think "clear sky view" only means that the router's view of the sky needs to be unobstructed, i.e. it shouldn't be placed indoors, directly underneath trees, etc.

5. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I've read review of people traveling through Europe with starlink, the only problem was Alpes and especially mountain valleys with trees, other than that they got their daily jobs done with video conferences and other social media acts with really decent speeds