Thorns (Electronica)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by zero-frag, Apr 3, 2018.

1. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Hey peeps,

I hadn't produced any music in a while and had a burst of inspiration yesterday, created a track from start to finish in one day. It still sounds really good to me the day after, which is always a good sign :).

I'd love to hear some feedbacks if you'd be so kind

Here is the track in question:

Thanks !

EDIT: V2 I implemented some of your suggestions:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Inspirational, yes, good idea, too, but, I don't know if you're hearing this, or if it's on purpose, especially from 2:08 on it's way too much distorted and too compressed.
    LUFS -7,9 is way too loud (for this kind of music), peaks from -1,5 to 0dB is way too less (for any kind of music) and there's a huge amount of frequencies below 30Hz.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. foster911

foster911 Guest

No offence but after that closed thread, now everyone is a Mastering Engineer. I think I reached my $1 billion goal. I should admit that you were one of them from the beginning before those threads.:bleh::mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Thanks for the input, my mixing skills are pretty basic so it's nice to hear some advice from more experienced members.
    From what you're saying I gather should:

- Decrease the volume of the bass a bit
    - Unsmash a bit the limiter (for this type of music, I do like a bit of smashing through the limiter, especially for the main part)
    - Highpass everything except bass and kick to clean everything below 30 Hz)

Please let me know if I understood you correctly :)

As far as the distortion from 2:08 it's intentional, I was going for a very heavily distored sound (maybe a bit too distored, that's possible :P)

6. vector99

vector99 Kapellmeister

too distorted you killed it , people just press stop

7. No Avenger

A bit, ok, but you sqeezed it not only to death, it's pumping a lot, too.

Almost, cut off (or at least shelf) all low frequencies that the sounds don't need on all instruments, even 30Hz @ bass & bd.

Listen to your song at high volume, it's hardly bearable.

8. No Avenger

@foster911 It's important to get an impression just by listening first and if you have some serious complaints, and I had them, to confirm them by measuring the datas and values and explain them.

9. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

I can't remember the last time I've posted in this forum, but your track inspired me to share my thoughts.

One of the many problems with asking for feedback from complete strangers over the internet is that there isn't any context. You have a definite goal in what you are trying to express, but no one else knows it. And artists shouldn't have to include a definition of what their art represents. Everyone should take from it what they will. So instead of asking for the opinions of complete strangers, I would recommend that you forget about the track for as long as possible and just start another one, and when you finished with that one....guess what? Start a new one again. And then when you come back to this track in maybe a week or two...you can hear it again with fresh ears.

As far as the people who criticized the 2:08 part, I can see where they're coming from. I think it could be resolved by doing a better job of building up the energy. Your synth is really bold and upfront, yet the piano continues to play the same somber pattern. These two different emotions contradict each other. Maybe you could do something like switch to a major key if this is going to be the climax of your track.

Overall I really enjoyed this track, and like I already mentioned, it inspired me to post a comment after a very long time of inactivity here. I'm eager to hear more of your work. One last thing, don't focus too much on mixing. Put more energy into exploring your ideas. Go listen to some Burial. His mixing is atrocious. But you will never hear anyone complain because his ideas are so inspiring.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. foster911

foster911 Guest

About my previous comment, not kidded, I truly admired your good analysis. You listen and run professional thorough checks on the posted music and it's worthy of appreciation.:bow::mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I rather like the pumping some early electronica featured some pretty serious pumping it makes for a good disorientating effect on very large speakers. It can be very nasty and uncomfortable to listeners on headphones or very small speakers with low impedance might not even notice it as an effect but just a strange very spiky volume changes. Now a days it's mostly only used in cinema with those those big multichannel systems and the information is kept on the LFE channel.

As far as bass goes I think there is a lack of definition and you might have some large peaks between 40-60Hz but you are under utilizing 120Hz to 270 Hz then a somewhat flat low mid-range and it probably falls off again above 900 which I think is an intended effect of all the low pass filter play.

The limiter smash though is a bit too much, a bit of crunch is a nice artistic touch when it does last that long or perhaps try a a different way of offering up part of that distortion than just the limiter it does get quite nasty as the volume goes up.

I do rather like it as a whole. Well done.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  12. My 2 cents...if you are going for the pump using a compressor, it would be more musical if it better grooved with the tempo, as this time around it seemed a little frenetic and off kilter. Play with the attack and release until you can't sit still in the chair you are mixing in, that way you'll definately know that you are solid and in the pocket.
    [​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Thank you so much everyone for the feedback !!!

I worked on it and tried to implement some of what you guys suggested and other things:

- Clean up the very low end (and other various EQ cleanups)
    - Leave more room in the mix so the kick really comes through and the pumping of the limiter is much more rythmic
    - Decreased the amount of limiter smashing

It may still be considered too distorted for some of you but I think everyone will agree it is a vast improvement compared to the previous version :D

I edited the post above and posted my revised version based on the feedback received. Thanks again boys (and girls) <3

14. No Avenger

Yep, that's better now.

I'm still missing a really punching bd coming in at 2:08, but maybe that's a matter of taste.

15. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

You have made gains for sure.

I agree with @No Avenger that there is still room for that bass drum to punch in a bit better especially in moments of tension release.

If you are adventurous and have a few weeks, I would have some time in a bit to do a mix of it for you if you like. It's not something I offer lightly nor often but turn around will be slow as it will not be a priority but communications will always be open.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  16. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Nice track... Heard the modified mix... The music is quite lovely... so good job on that! :like:

Mix wise... I heard it on cheap consumer earplugs... Still had to ride the volume at some places... You're lucky that @mozee has offered to mix this... I think you should jump on that offer... :)

Keep up the good work!

17. m9cao

m9cao Producer

i heard the piano was distorted(or maybe resonating)