This vocal sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by thisis theend, Jul 20, 2014.

1. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Hey guys. I've just started watchin True Detective and in ep 2 a song comes along with a supercool sound on the vocals.
    It's kinda disted but the sound isn't trashed so the character of the voice, the words and the phrasing are still very clear. It also has a really rich, fat and warm tone.

Now I know these guys must've used hardware, but I thought I'd ask if some of you who might have recorded a lot of vocals have any ideas about gettin somewhere similar if all processing is done in the box.
    I'm on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 so can't use any stuff not compatible with that.

Also if you think nothing close can be done without hardware, you can say so and save me from some wild goose chasing. :)

Here's the sound clip with that song playin (you'll probly need phones to hear it any good): LINK

3. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

Your sound @
    Code:
    http://picosong.com/PvTb/
    You can easily create similar sounding effects using Plug-Ins such as ALTIVERB 6 or 7,
    or even AudioEase Speakerphone.

Altiverb 7
    Code:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/product/altiverb-by-audio-ease/details
    Speakerphone
    Code:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/product/speakerphone-by-audio-ease/details
    As I can hear there's a very short room reverb on the voice.

Good luck!

4. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

EQ high pass and a Little of harmonic distortion Plugin i'm on 10.6.8 to and there are a bunch of plugins that will do this try a Waves c1 gate also put it on side chain and sweep the Low end out :wink:

it is a little more in-depth then that but you get the idea

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Green bullet mic and a guitar amp, as he is obviously singing into the harmonica mic. ;)

[​IMG]

Like kook said, try AudioEase Speakerphone (or any overdrive and smaller speaker impulse in a convolution reverb)...or get a real mic. The proximity you get from a real mic can do wonders, especially through a tube amp.

6. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Alright, singin in the harmonica mic, that could be just the thing together with some processing.
    Guess a green bullet just made it to the top of my next-to-buy list :)