This Time Of The Year Gives Me G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dway, Jan 9, 2012.

1. dway

dway Newbie

Gear Acquisitional Syndrome aka G.A.S.!

It usually comes around income tax time. This year I have it bad. Hopefully, the boys here at Audiosex will help me get some relief. I've grown fond of my Hs50's but I'm lookin to go all out on some new monitors to compliment the Yama's. My control room is small so I can't get anything over 8 inches up in there
    ( Yeah, that's what she said last night ):) I'n woofer size. Mackie HR series too bassy, Krk series not true, and @ 5grand for the Expose's E8 is laughably ridiculous. 2020 bas v3's seems poised to make some major noise this year, but I've basically narrowed it down to two contenders, the Adams a7x's or the Focal cms 65's hmmmm decisions, decisions. Help me out guys anybody using these babies. Also, I wan't to add the Adam sub7's to monitor the really low sub frequency's ( Frequency response (±3dB): 31–150Hz ) for the Adam's and Focal's or should I use the 2020 bas's which go pretty low @Frequency Response: 35Hz - 20kHz ±2dB. to give me a stereo representation of the bass.

3. thiagorisso

thiagorisso Newbie

I have yamaha´s hs50 and preety satisfied... why are you moving on?? I´ve been through the same syndrome since last week I got myself a virus snow, and gotta say it really worths.

4. dway

dway Newbie

I'm not moving on I just wan't to compliment the 5" yamaha's with a 6.5" to 7.1" for a second opinion and a little more bass response but with a true representation like the yamaha's and for late night sessions so as not to disturb the neighbors a seperate sub woofer so I can dial in the amount of bass I wan't at any given time, which is mono or go with the 2020 bas v3 which are stereo and like having a sub for each monitor.

5. obscure

obscure Newbie

So basically you asking for our monitor recommendations?

I'm using DSM3's :wink: On par or better than the a7x's - certainly not the same monitor. Certainly kicks the butt off of your hs50s.

True, detailed, and you can use the filter on the in-built DSP to cut off the subs on these if you want to add your own subwoofer.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/625961-any-recent-opinions-regarding-m-audio-dsm-monitors.html

I'm using the digital inputs with this, but there are analog too of course.

Just another monitor you can look into dway, good luck I hope you make a perfect decision :break:

6. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

I SWEAR MY LIFE on the Genelec 8250A's!! 2 words. THEY TRANSLATE!!! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR & GET THE 8250A's!!!! I hate name dropping, but the list of engineers who use them is legendary. I read an interview last month where Deadmau5 said he was shocked when he switched to the Gens. He now mixes and masters on them. perfect for a small/mid sized studio and able to travel and translate in any room...

Electric Lady Studios
    Sweetwater Studios

7. dway

dway Newbie

Thanx didn't know that m-audio got down like that on the monitor tip :wink: But, there discontinued at my best two dealers, the specks for the price can't be beat but the rear port thing is a definite deal breaker for me already had enuff with the hs50's *no*

8. dway

dway Newbie

Again, I may have gas but I don't have 5grand to blow on monitors no matter how exsqusite they are. I've read about what they can do and if I did have the money I wouldn't hesitate to get them they're amazing.