This guy is destroying Slate, UAD, Waves...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Von_Steyr, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Definitely agree on the filter, not for everything but when it works it works like pure magic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

"this guy is destroying slate, uad, waves.. and AA" is like saying Fosterkid about to destroy DVLM on DJMag 2018. Will demo though, you never know. However, I haven't found better FET compressors from UAD.

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

4. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@Von_Steyr, thanks for sharing these. Will have to take them for a spin.
    I am interested in looking at this SPICE modelling method too. Neat stuff, design a circuit, model it, see how it sounds.

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Do that bro. Forgot to tag you.

6. digitaldragon

You know I'm always interested in another 1176!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

i think it fits right in there with IK Black 76 and thats one of the better ones in my opinion...i like the new Overloud comp76 too it sounds like my hardware version ;) gain stage them as always \m/i wanted to EDIT this and Say it sounds close to my hardware witch is 20 + years old and has been used to almost complete Death lol >>> JK it does need some work but what i mean is the compression is close in the way it responds to drums... but as any hardware they are all Different beasts in their own>>> thats the beauty of hardware change one component and the sound changes with it ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  8. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

how come every review is 5 stars?
    shurely shome mishtake...
    anyway, i am still very poor at mixing despite many hours of toil, but i have to say, for me, the compressor is amazing, what it does to my stuff with minimum tweaking.. so many thanks for the links : )

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I would say those ratings are very real, at least to my ears.

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I've been toying around with the LCF filter for a while thinking what's all the fuss about in all honesty. I mean I know it's free but when I put it up against waves EMO D5 which is $29 it seemed like it was lacking in every area. It's just hit me though. I have been looking to emulate a specific drum pattern. and low and behold, one setting it's exactly the effect i was looking for with the same quality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Last time I tested some of theese plugins on initial release and I thought they were garbage.

12. Right I just ran FILTEQ 64 on my standard 96/24 testbed. It does work but I have a number of concerns. Firstly it is impossible to set the parametric boost/cut controls to 0 you are either +2dB or -2dB but not 0, which means you're always filtering on all bands. Secondly there is some very strange crimping happening on the top end, which degrades the closer you get to Nyquist. Thirdly the harmonic distortion is easily amongst the most heavy handed 'analog' attemps I've ever seen in a Filter, easily worse than the NI Manley clone.

Not for me.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yea i get the concerns. I was mostly impressed with the comp and the filter, though filteq is pretty good, minus some of the things you have mentioned, but still worth to have around.

14. Fairy Nuf. It's just that engineering is something done with measurement, meter before you listen is my method. I'd go look at SKNote. Bad manuals but devine plugs even cheaper than these by and large.

Yo Von_Steyr! Ever onward Bro.

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

All i`ve been hearing lately is about sknote, i think it was @superliquidsunshine that started the trend around here :)
    Do test the other plugs as well, you will see why the guys at GS are also praising this guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2017
  16. digitaldragon

+1 for SKNote plugs! That Gates STA is magical on vocals!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

A demo using LCF Filter on drums

18. I have Verbtone, Distro, STA-Level and have used Strip to test (the GUI confused me so I "returned" it). All powerful great and all inexpensive.

19. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

I'm really impressed with these, thanks for sharing!!

20. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Disto all the way \m/ im a compressor addict haha but my Hardware Distressors get used way more than my 1176 theirs just something about them>>> i can get almost any kind of compression sound from them... they sound great period >>>if i had to let go of every compressor i own and only keep one i would pick my best Distressor cause they just sound good on everything rather it be Vox ,Guitars ,Drums, Bass so on and so on ... i remember the first one i purchased 15 years ago blew me away so much i purchased 3 more lol >>> first one was new and other 3 was used but i use them on every recording session ... i really just have never put anything thru them and didnt like the sound :) my 1176 is not in the best of shape so its hard for me to compare others Algos to it but My Distressors are very well maintained and SKnote gets closest to any of the others i have tried so far >>> im sure theirs others out there but yeah Disto is very nice in the box solution im a happy customer to have purchased this one :) STA-Limit is another Gem if anyone wants another to check out \m/

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List