This guy is destroying Slate, UAD, Waves...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Von_Steyr, Sep 30, 2017.

1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

If you hate the MT-2 you're no friend of mine :dont:

2. recycle

recycle Guest

the younger ones among us who have only used SSDs don't know this, but when computers worked with floppy disks, we had a much warmer sound: that vintage "floppy" sound ... what good memories

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I almost miss my Korg DSM-1... almost. There was plenty of warmth to be had from shouting when the drive decided not to write disks properly, or the time when I used a disk as a coaster for my coffee by accident.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well, for me it looked more like the sound of a pig being slaughtered distorted by a glitch in the Matrix...
    But hey, perhaps it's just me

5. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Its ok I have an army of HM-2s and old RATs that eat the MT-2 alive to keep me company.

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

If I ever write a rock opera it would be called "Bad Monkey and a Rat in the Metal Zone".

7. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

His plugins do sound good, and I appreciate that he models pieces of gear that are less often emulated. However, they are still fraught with strange bugs, bad interface, and their sound changes with each version (basically every version is "from scratch"). So not anything worth buying, and be wary when using them, lest you get a +120db pop in your monitors.

There's certainly no scam here, especially now that they are donationware. I just feel bad for people that actually paid 200$ for one of these when they came out...

He uses SPICE modeling. Basically puts the entire electronic circuit of a piece of gear into a sciencey program that simulates what every component does, and then somehow converts it into a plugin that does it in real time. Too bad his own programming sucks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

some of the Uis are alright... some are poo

9. livemouse

livemouse Producer

I have difficulties understanding why people use hardware eq emulations rather than their stock eq's especially since they sound the same. I also remember Genwave.

10. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

In general?
    Sometimes you want THAT particular sound. You want specific curves or the sound of the whole circuit or a passive EQ (well, plugins have never been good at emulating analog passive circuits).

Sometimes there are plugins that emulate a particular device very well. And it can take a long time to get close to the desired sound with stockplugins, if you get close to it at all.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  11. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

For real? Just load plugin doctor and observe the differences in curves, filters, harmonics, saturation, aliasing....
    Just take a good linear phase eq and put it on a master bus and play with it and compare it with stock eq. You have to have some experience in hearing what is going on.

12. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

They don't sound the same.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. ensoniq

ensoniq Noisemaker

Yes these emulations destroy the competition. Only downside is they’re pretty cpu heavy

• List
  14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You're so right.
    SPICE is a great software used by several plugin developers and thousands of engineers. But the gap between a professional all-around circuit simulator (not limited to audio at all) until a working plugin is HUGE.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. robotboy

robotboy Producer

Do you mean to say that you can't just type in a list of components and have it spit out a perfectly working plugin?
    :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  16. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I was hoping i could just type in the sales figure I'd like for my first hit and skip all that technical stuff.

17. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

While I can't SPICE and am not an EE, it would be lovely to have an environment where you just put components on a virtual breadboard and have an realtime insta-simulation.

But you're right, there's a fair bit of separation between a working audio plugin and a circuit specification/simulation.

18. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

It is way more complex than you're describing. You need a degree in Electrical Engineering with a lot of experience and knowledge to be able to do this. I don't understand the reason for your laughter. It looks obnoxious to me. I wish I had the same knowledge, but it is beyond my expertise.

19. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

It seems obvious to me that he was joking.
    He was using sarcasm, but it was obvious to me.
    The laughter (ROFL emoticon) is likely to make it clear for anyone who doesn't easily understand the sarcasm, or for whom English is a second language.
    The joke is that he is pretending to be so stupid as to think just inputting the components would spit out a finished VST.
    I took it even further into absurdity, pretending I thought i could just put in how much money i want from my hit song that it would then create for me.

Maybe you have no understanding of sarcastic humor?
    If you understand your error, you might consider changing your "dislike" on his post.
    You might consider it even if you DON'T understand, because ...trust me.. you are wrong.

20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well my, yes, sure thing... you only need a PSpice plugin to export it to VST2,VST3, AU, AAX, FIFA and NBA formats... OF COURSE YOU CAN'T! :rofl::rofl:
    @DoubleTake 's right. He was joking.

I once used Spice in a college lab class. Total nightmare. Not to mention at the time it was slow AF. Thank god my class partner studied really hard :rofl:. I even treated her to a glass of water when we passed the final test.