This guy is destroying Slate, UAD, Waves...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Von_Steyr, Sep 30, 2017.

1. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Maybe another good usage of Charlie would be for gain staging? Anyone using it for this? Gotta play around with this one a bit.

2. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

As there is no preset in these plugins and many people like me may not know the hardware, would someone make a tutrial or usage advice of these plugins? I mean which plugin works for which instruments and application.

Eqs:
    BRITISHCOUPLE - Emulation of famous 1073 and it’s brother
    BXQ - Emulation of famous high class model of famous baxandall eq
    COMBOX - Combo of two legend gears
    EAQ - Emulation of famous 825 for your EARs
    FILTEQ - Secret weapon! Inspired by Filtek MK3!
    FIVER - Five Band Eq
    GERMANBROS - Emulation of famous vintage German units
    HLQ - Emulation of famous inductor based console EQ
    LCF - Vintage Solid State LC High/Lowpass Filter
    PUREQ - World-class, three-band, dual-mono tube/hybrid equalizer
    SSQ - Immortal 4000 Series circuitry
    TREQ - Emulation of famous clean console eq

Comps:
    BRUTUS - Optical limiter
    BRITPRESSOR - Classic Compressor/Limiter
    BUSTER - Faithful plug-in emulation of Famous Stereo Bus Compression
    HOLYCOMP - Vari-Mu Compressor
    OSS - Authentic variable-mu tube design
    TUBELM - Smooth limiting presented with the euphonic character and warmth of tubes
    FETISH - Classic Fet Compressor/Limiter

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Thanks for the Charly explanation @Jaymz and @beatmagnus

Here is a compressor cheat sheet someone here uploaded. I should credited the author.......

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017

Attached Files:

4. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

charlie adds character to the audio source like a light reverb effect opens it up >>>also adds a lil top end so it would depend on the source material... ive used 2 instances one to lower the gain and the other to boost for the effect it gives \m/

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

*Emulation is for the weak.
    [​IMG]
    The strong must change with the times!
    [​IMG]
    :shalom:

6. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Yes I have seen this before and it is very useful but doesn't include lots of the AO plugins.

7. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Edit your post? IF you knew about that list.

8. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Been playing with these EQ's non stop and found that its not really usefull to think in terms of "use this eq on this drum, or guitar". Kind of tedious but I've been going through each until I find one that makes the desired sound cut throught he mix. In fact a lot of times they make things sound shitty until you land one that suddently makes the sound pop out.

I don't use compression very much, and when I do I use very little so I can't comment on the compressors. I've played with the FETish a little and dig it

9. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

So... has anyone gotten these to work on High Sierra as of yet?

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I have been working all day on a project and finally had more time to test AO Eqs.
    You know that moment, you are doing EQ acrobatics with the stock eq to get that sound you are aiming for and nothing you do is good enough.
    Then i tried some AO Eqs.
    These EQs are a game changer imo. Same sonic properties as Acustica Audio yet lighter on the cpu than AA.
    Bax is a very subtle EQ ( as the original hardware unit), great for mainbus or mastering, you can not fuck up with it, since its so subtle.
    I even tried it on a snare and worked great.
    NVQ-pure magic, so little knobs yet i could get the desired bass sound with this in a minute compared to the stock EQ where i just couldnt get "that" sound i was aiming for.
    TEQ- just amazing, polishes your tracks nicely.

I have also been utilizing LCF without any setting for problematic flat tracks, really helps with weight and realism.

EQs are worth every cent people, pure quality and low on the cpu.
    All EQs i have tested also add weight and dimension to your instruments.

As @beatmagnus said, every track need a different flavor, play with them and see which one works for you, not all will suit everything.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

So the NVQ adds sub harmonic content, you can add !weight! and polish the highs in the smoothest way, really invaluable EQ,
    I have always been avoiding boosting certain frequencies with most algo and stock plugins, but here you will find yourself boosting 200hz+ region without muddying it all up.
    Supposedly this is an emulation of neve 1073? I dont know how this guy pulls if off, but this sounds like money to me.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  12. Fernando Roma

Fernando Roma Ultrasonic

The NVQ is really good! Tried against Gold from AA and its very close!

13. LUTS

LUTS Newbie

I tried the Fetish vs. the Softube FET compressor and CLA-76 (waves). After setting things up similarly (sinewave, 5 db GR with makeup gain set and a spec analyser.)

I noticed that the Fetish couldn't handle very loud input with distorting, which the other 2 could. It does have lots of harmonics adding in like the other 2 I compared. They were the loudest as well with the FET and CLA-76 being respectively less audible. It had the harshest sounding harmonics of the three that that seem to add a peak to a sinewave that isn't originally there. (Could be nice for add peaks to drums and some synths maybe).

The other two have less high () harshness when putting through a sinewave with the CLA's added harmonics being the least audible. Both the Softube and FETISH start distorting when pushed really hard, but the CLA seems not affect the signal in that same way (it stays clean.) With the fastest release and attack times set and a breakbeat loop I could hear the CLA barely working but the other were. The ALL settings on CLA and Softube sounds alike but with the CLA sounding cleaner, but is this setting is missing in the Fetish.

Since I don't know how the original vintage unit sounds like I think I am not able to judge on which sounds the closest. But I like the Softube one over the Fetish and CLA ones for drums.

14. thejohndoe

thejohndoe Ultrasonic

All this tells me and what i already strongly suspected is that there is no low level modelling going on in any of the Waves plugins.they are all snake oil e.g their so called vinyl compression in Abbey Rd's vinyl which basically just mixes in 1 chebyshev harmonic.as to your comments about the distortion..the 1176 is supposed to distort,it's far from a clean unit,so the fact that the CLA76 is clean,just basically says that they probably never did any actual modelling of any 1176 and most likely did a pick and mix of their now extremely dated DSP chops,like they have been doing for half a decade now :D.i've only had/heard remakes and clones but they all distort to quite a noticeable degree,so i'd assume the original unit does too.i like AO plugins,i have bought most of the EQ's,but i find FETish to be an odd one.i really don't care if it's supposed to model an 1176 or not (though i did read it's modelled after an 1176 that the developer himself built,so would explain the quirks)it's a very odd sort of broken compressor plugin.on the whole though,apart from maybe Acustica stuff it is the closest to sounding analog (if that is what you are after)short of forking out serious coin for one of the gateways to UAD which is still vastly superior for analog modelling than Native DSP

15. thejohndoe

thejohndoe Ultrasonic

I'm slightly confused by this statement.if you are claiming that this EQ adds actual sub harmonics then it doesn't,at least not that i have found anyway.i'm just assuming you meant that it is good at EQ'ing low end?because i can say for certain that it's not adding any harmonics below the fundamental

16. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Thanks for that report. I was fighting to get the exact low end shape I wanted on an AX80 sync bass . . . slapped NVQ on there with a slight boost on the 60hz shelf and engaged the 50hz HPF . . . butter baby. Then I gave it a slight boost at 3.2K and a slight rolloff on the high shelf and it managed to bring the bass forward without getting in the way of any of the other mix elements. How freakin' joyous. And I'm just tickling the +/- controls. :wink: Gonna send Tunca bey some money for this one on payday!

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Most certainly is. You just need to try on a track that makes it perhaps more obvious.

18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

EQing like a champ. Same here, bass, synth bass, just too good to be true.
    The real thing is expensive as fuck and if this comes close to 95% of the hardware unit its insane.
    For someone who doesnt know which EQ he should buy, the british couple is a great start imo.

19. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I guess it's Turkish New Year? Anyway, it means big SALES!

. . . I use those Neve EQ's (NVQ+NVTQ=British Couple) constantly.

20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Probably his best Eqs.
    If you still havent check out the PSP E27, hands down the best algo EQ right now, i think @RMorgan would agree.
    A bit cpu heavy but sounds as good as any AA EQ. Butter like musical curves, a real problem solver, no digital harshness, unreal.