This grainy effect.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by shake_puig, Jan 15, 2020.

1. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

Hello, I watched a trailer in which the overall sound caught my attention, it sounds bad but in a way I can't figure it out how was done. I'm interested on the voice, it sounds super grainy and degraded. The most clear example is around 0:54.

How is this kind of artifacts created ?

Thanks

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Do you mean the effect called "vocal fry" that singers like Khalid, Britney Spears, Leonard Cohen, etc use? Try talking way down low to make it fry. Then the effect becomes quite interesting when you highpass it (cut the low-end) and even EQ boost the "fry". :)

Speaking of singers: The most interesting thing is that the actor talking, Mandy Patinkin, is actually an amazing singer!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. tun

tun Rock Star

I didnt know this was a thing. Ive been reading more into it and its a very interesting topic

5. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

No, I mean the sound of everything, I put the example of the voice because is where I think the effect is more clear. It's kind of hard trying to describe how it sounds but I think the effect is very noticeable on the low and low-mid frequencies. It's like an artificial degraded granular sound, not natural at all, the voice fry makes it much more noticeable. I don't know if it could be some artifact from exporting the audio or some kind of effect that may have caused it.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I'm not really sure what you mean then. Maybe some parallel compression with saturation and filtering (on the parallel bus), who knows.
    Let me know if you figure it out.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020