There's No Great Music Anymore

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Sep 8, 2018.

1. My child, when you grow up and look back upon your life, you might notice that there are incredibly few absolutes after you get passed the freezing and boiling points of water at sea level and the vast other scientific and mathematical formulas that form the basis and core of our knowledge base in this current reality set. There almost always have been the great, the good and the less than so in the world of art and music, and popular taste surely does not set the bar over or under what can truely be judged worthy of accolades, and conversely what can be tagged aweful and should be relegated to the bin of refuse. It is sad that you don't have any elders in your life that are open minded and creative, that you might sit in their broad and welcoming shadow, enabling you to relax your eyes from time to time from that increbiley wonderful, though blinding, innocent sun of youth which can wreck havoc on opportunities to glean wisdom from time served on this weighstation we call Earth. Really, 'tis a pity. As you say, "the old music reminds me of my youth, which I will not get back", but of course that does not preclude all the coolness created in the now or the future.

I will be 60 in a year...never thought I'd get this far but glad that I did. I listened to two fantastic albums today that I haven't ever heard as they were both recently released. Both are by solo artists recording with ensembles. Kristine Leschper writes for her band "Mothers" and Paul McCartney has produced another album called "Egypt Station". Kristine is 24 and Sir Paul is 76. Both are excellent in their own way, each with merit. These are just two examples of the tens of new songs that I like every week, some from new and young whippersnappers and others from artists that are long in the tooth.

Words of wisdom...don't pigeonhole any person or group unless you wish to grow old and wither before your own ears and eyes...

Now, get the hell off of my lawn!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. G String

G String Rock Star

There's No Great Music Anymore

Yeah, nothing even half-decent since 1784.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

@superliquidsunshine 'Mothers' reminds me of 'Sonic Youth' and this Paul McCartney sounds fmiliar too..:)
    Thanks for sharing! :wink:

5. m9cao

m9cao Producer

only top talented listener can found great music
    just the truth
    so sad

6. Your welcome...and Sonic Youth is one of my all-time favorite bands, sometimes I can't get enough of them. I think that "Pink" is the strongest song of the Mothers (not to be confused of course with Frank Zappa and The Mothers, heavens no) album, the most interesting sonically as well as lyrically.

7. m9cao

m9cao Producer

another truth:
    music which most of the people listening in the world are shit, include most masterpieces of classical, well known pop shit, and accepted by pro music composer, music theorists, pro audio engineers

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Examples?

9. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

10. According to my last hush-hush research:
    Only 1% of music-makers have been formally (classically) educated.

Take a guess at the result.:invision:

11. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

But much of the music I enjoy was made long before I was born! Your point is moot.

12. black.afrika.zulu.x

Yes....anybody with a laptop can become a star now!

13. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

yet all the music posted in this topic feels old, and isn't really that great....

14. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

there's lots of great music, you just gotta stop listening to anything post-70s

15. black.afrika.zulu.x

It all went wrong in the 80s. All those quantized, drum machines.

16. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

I started listening to music when I was 14 years old in 1982. And I was never prejudiced to listen to styles, bands and singers which had become popular long before. As I'm not prejudiced to listen and critically appraise whatever new artists, styles, etc, become popular year after year. Of course, as the saying goes "so many men, so many opinions". I may not like much some of them, but I listen to them trying to be critically objective, and I simply try to enjoy the song as it is. Years of listening shape your ear's predilection for great songwriting, specific instrumentation, great melodies, harmonic modulation and different kind of arrangements. I think that's normal. You may enjoy many different styles: I enjoy listening to classic rock'n'roll, progressive rock, heavy metal & hard rock, some punk, folk music, alt-country, some techno-pop bands from the 80's and good electronic music (from Kraftwerk to Orbital, including Jean-Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream and many other bands along the way). Of course, I disregard some styles when I consider they are too constrained to specific sounds, patterns, or when the lyrics and melodies seem to me plainly stupid. Anyway: lIsten to what you enjoy listening to and do not give a sh*t about other people's opinions. Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody's got one, and most of the times most people believe theirs do not stink.

17. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I worked in music publishing many years ago and became familiar with the term "standard"
    A standard is a song that is accepted as something that will endure. It will be covered by many artists for many years. It is considered a very strict rule. Even bands like the Beatles have few songs considered standards. Yesterday and Something spring to mind to the exclusion of hundreds of other equally good songs. Elton John's career has produced very few standards. Your Song is a standard while a large number of equally popular songs by him fail to meet the criteria.
    Which brings us to recent times and the idea that there is no great music anymore. I disagree. I listen to nothing but new or recent music and I was born in 1958. But are standards being written anymore? I'd have to say no, because chart success in pop music is the sole focus and it is designed for immediate consumption and swift disposal.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  18. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

Speaking about Wingsuit Basejumping, two of my favourite videos...

Music by: Hybrid

I like the way they mix her voice.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

Parody topic, or not, I find some of the opinions here sadly depressing.
    As music makers, surely we've reached a point where we realise there is no such thing as good or bad music, just music.
    What is being argued is what's personally liked and not liked, which is fine as far as it goes, but it has nothing to do with bad v good.

Despite hearing excellent songs from each genre, I generally don't like, rap, K-pop, dnb, c&w or thrash metal, but that's just me.
    It doesn't mean for one minute the art form as a whole is bollocksed.

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018