There's A Problem With Using Samples

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by aleksalt, Jun 11, 2023.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

There are, but they are generally not punitive; if the copywrite holder loses their lawsuit. It is normally just for the costs involved in defending against the lawsuit. It is rather one-sided.

"Can a court award costs and attorney fees to a successful litigant in a copyright infringement case?

The Copyright Act of 1976 provides for fee shifting to successful copyright litigants. Section 505 provides that “the court may … award a reasonable attorney's fee to the prevailing party as part of the costs.”

2. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Meh all the copyright stuff is all getting a scamy at the moment and since most free streaming platforms like Youtube and whatever else would rather screw the second claimant than deal with a headache they will either demonetize or supress and let the 2nd guy get lawyers if they really care.

Problem is - lawyers don't work for free.....

and it's an old old tune first recorded in the 1920s and so old that nobody knows who wrote it. A Turco-Helenistic folk song about an Egyptian Girl that has been in countless Greek, Turkish, Arabic and Jewish songs and is in the public domain as much as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or any Beethoven symphony.

3. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Hey there, today is monday (working day),
    so,

moderators, are you here?

I see a lot of the off topic posts...and nobody cares...

the theme is "There's A Problem With Using Samples"
    i.e. using audio stuff (one shots, loops) in music productions...
    but I see the debates about AI, copyright in MIDI, about folk songs
    and so on.
    Please, be on the road, not in the bushes around...

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Usually we spend the infinite amount of money we get from this site on our private island (no internet) or on space flight training in Huston, Tx (internet blocked for security reasons). So our working days look like sun bathing, swimming, snorkelling, diving, sky diving or zero gravity flights. :yes:

Ok, seriously, since you're pretty new here [cough], btw, congrats to your upcoming 10th anniversary, you need to know that we just can't read through every post and/or watch every linked pic or vid and therefore our genius bossman himself invented the Report™ button (below the text field) so you (or anyone else) can report a post which he/she thinks violates the rules. Ain't that great? :winker:

Gotta go now, my diving instructor is trying out her new bikini.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  5. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

Send some pics or it never happened ! :chilling:

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

:deep_facepalm:

They are all answering the root of the problem, every single one of them. Also, the day you start paying to use this site and putting money in the moderators pockets - you might have a leg to stand on, no reason to be douchy to them or anyone else for being nice to you and being of service. Nobody here or anywhere else on this planet owes you anything unless they've agreed to do something for you for an equitable exchange.

Other people's bad for giving you an answer you don't like.

Peace out and good luck.

7. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

amazing

I am gonna sample and loop this, thanks

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Thanks, sir, but:
    1. I'm not a tattletale to complain to the moderator
    2. I wrote my previous post so that the respected community just respect the rules of the forum, that's all.:)

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

vs
    So are you complaining or are you not? If yes, the Report button helps to keep this forum clean (aka within the rules).

10. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Ok, let's come down to the Earth, often royalty free isn't what we think, just one excerpt from Licensing & FAQ (https://loopscope.io/pages/licensing-faq)
    If you get placed by... Major labels/distributors (Warner, Universal, Sony, etc). and any of the smaller or indie labels associated under these labels, sister/sub labels. Film, TV and Video Games, under distribution or production companies such as Netflix, HBO, Warner, Disney etc. and/ or gaming companies such as EA Games, Epic Games, Rockstar etc. If your streams exceed 1,000,000 streams on Spotify, Apple Music or YouTube.

notice the red text:
    as I understood, nothing is really royalty free, that sold on this site,
    am I right?
    The same and alike notices I see on many sites that sell loops...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  11. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

loopscope.io specifically states: Our samples are all free to use with the exception of major placements or streams that exceed 1,000,000' already on the product page. So maybe this example isn't the best.
    But basically you're right, there seem to be several customers of supposedly 'royalty free' samples who got in trouble lately. Looks suspiciously like a pattern.

12. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

You didn't pay attention to etc. (three times), but this is it!

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Oh, I did, but maybe I did not make my point clear. loopscope already points out on the product that there are circumstances under which these samples are not royalty free. On this page it's a bit vague therefore they explained it in detail on the Terms and Conditions page (what you posted).
    But what's going on ATM, is that people after several years are showing up and claiming royalties for products where nothing like this has been mentioned.

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Finally something interesting and productive in this thread. Took you guys long enough! For chrissake...
    :rofl::rofl:
    Not really. BUT WHERE ARE THE PICS?!!! :lmao::lmao: