There. Its not chillwave

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by iseeghosties, Jul 1, 2022.

1. iseeghosties

iseeghosties Kapellmeister

my 200th song xxxxD

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

like it a lot. nice theme, and finally low end lol

im curious, if you listen critically, and put something similar on yt or spotify,
    what would you say about your own track. sound-wise? .most obvious things, if any of course

edit: dont tell me you are monitoring on laptop speakers..

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  4. iseeghosties

haha dont worry im not! I learned my lesson doing that at first. Umm I would say im a multi genre musician. I can go from Chillwave to Futurebass to Trance in a heart beat. Idk exactly I would say about my sound though like it would be hard to explain.

5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

ok, but i meant sound as the mix. not the genre

when comparing it with other songs. you hear the harshness that begins at 0:45.

But in any case, that is peanuts, you are getting a lot better i must say, in every aspect

6. iseeghosties

haha why thank you! umm so in that sense I would say probably harsh because most of my mixes do end up being that way in the end unless I totally strip frequencies.

7. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

i would say dont worry to much, you will develop an ear for that. some people have a natural way for it, for others it takes time to listen with a clinical ear. but this mix is a loooot fuller than before, just a bit harsh but as said, i wouldnt care much, it will come

8. iseeghosties

I think maybe future bass is harsh in general haha also I did use a reference track also one for mastering it as well.

9. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

great that you used a reference, it did get better. and no, im not talking about a desired "sound"

im sure our dear cat could say something accurate, i dont have good listening environment at this moment just some cheap earpods right now, but i can hear some harsh freq, what would you say @No Avenger

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. iseeghosties

IT could be the like 5 layers of serum that I used haha xD or the overdrive thats a possibility

11. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Nice track, @iseeghosties . I've commented it before, but will say it again: I think you have potential for making good music. You improve with each attempt, so keep it up. I saw your other thread where someone ripped you a new one. haha Sometimes we make stuff that is good to our own ears, but just doesn't resonate with a lot of other people. That's the way it goes.

My own honest advice is just keep making music in that wheelhouse of music you enjoy making, but also challenge yourself by experimenting with different sounds, genres, techniques, etc... for lack of a better way of explaining it. "There. It's not Chillwave" tells me you're trying to change your way to please a certain group of people, but my advice is ensure you make stuff you want to make and don't worry too much about appealing to everyone.

Anyways, this is definitely your best effort so far! As I always warn people, I'm the worst mixing critic imaginable, so I don't bother with any advice there. Musically, I like it though.

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is way better than the last one. I listened to the last one for about 30 seconds because I got bored. This one I did not, but I will listen to it more attentively later on and have time to type a bit more.

13. iseeghosties

Why thank you! I think I remember you posting on one of my tracks awhile back I always appreciate the kind words. I just named it that just as a joke lol xD. I honestly love making any genre of electronic music except the super poppy stuff. I will keep trying though.

14. iseeghosties

haha thanks! Ya honestly the more chiller stuff can be boring so I totally get it.

15. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Nice, way better than previous ones, keep it up.

I see what you did there

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. iseeghosties

Honestly I dont mind like harsh criticism but it was lets just say a little over the edge haha.

17. M McB

M McB Producer

Nice song man. My main suggestion music wise would introduce some space into the mix, such as silences. This could be just before etc as I don't feel like the drop really drops how it could (there also seems to be no kick or impact percussion on the first chorus synth stab). And also everything is long/elongated notes, some shorter notes and sounds could add some real punch and impact and let other parts breathe as well. Mix wise, it sounds balanced. Low end was pretty good, felt maybe a bit of presence missing in the upper-mids / highs. I think just a good mastering engineer would take the mix to the top level. Great work!

18. Magic Max

Magic Max Platinum Record

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the track just start over again at 1:15? Perhaps change some voicings or add a new element to shift focus slightly. But, yeah, as noted already it's a nice track.

19. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

I prefer cleaner mixes.
    You can still go lo-fi and have a clean sounding mix.
    To me, this sounds like I'm listening to a track on FM radio where everything is over-compressed and the lo-fi parts are coming out too loud.
    I can't quite put my finger on whether there are too many mids, or not enough high frequencies.

20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Oh, when I'm summoned, I must of course answer. [​IMG]

I think taming the high freqs in the claps (and to a tiny amount in the vocal samples) would improve this otherwise quite nice mix. When you turn it up they're starting to hurt the ears.

Additionally, I wonder why no one mentioned the complete loss of some sounds when you mono the song. I would fix that too.

21. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

yeah, so those were the offenders, i felt something like it, and i must check that in mono later, how odd.
    thanks for the input @No Avenger, always on point