There are plenty of reasons but these ones are mine why I can not finish any song.

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Jan 9, 2017.

1. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I had this problem of not completing musical ideas in the past. It sort of just went away. I'd like to think it was a mind shift in me. I became more focused on the message of the song and how to share that in a "sum of all the parts" way rather than having each individual piece in a state of perfection. One of those less is more ways of thinking, I suppose. Just became less worried about finishing something which made it easier to finish something.
    But also some may find a more structured approach works better. I think you have to find your own zen with this.

2. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

My key to success is to keep my standards low

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. foster911

foster911 Guest

Message? What does that mean? :unsure:

Maybe the problem in pure Electronics is that there's not such thing as message. The only message would be "I finally finished a song". In one of my previous works, I tried to put my voice on the track with the lyrics "STFU" and people laughed at me. Maybe I would better to put "It's bitterly cold outside so close the door please, baby". Could you consider it as a message? If not, so what's the message?:mad:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. digitaldragon

In this regard, message means the vision or direction you're trying to take the listener in. I find it much easier to travel to a destination when you know what that destination is. True, it is much much easier when there are vocals involved, as they can relay a message in a more straightforward manner. So one can ask "am I trying to make some cool sounds that fit together and are interesting" or "am I trying to tell a story or paint a picture with this music". I've always felt that the best songs were always relatable to their intended audience. I think even purely electronic music should make you feel something. NOTE: Just my humble opinion. If I had all of this figured out, I'd be raking in my royalties by now. :grooves:

5. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

The only reason one doesn't finish music is because they are afraid of exposing themselves to others. Music is emotion and when one composes they lay bare their emotions and who they are, most of the time. Holding back who you are is easy and cowardly, there is no risk. To give yourself to the world takes great courage that's why most musicians are alcoholics :)

6. digitaldragon

Well, not the only reason, but certainly one of them!

7. There are no reasons because there can be no reasons, what reasons do you need to be sure?

8. Jorge Cano

Jorge Cano Noisemaker

I find another big reason for people not finishing a song is because they start to mix as they go, the discipline to keep the composing process separate from the mixing process takes some time to develop. You end up making countless changes and never move on with the actual songwritting process. At least that used to be my problem when I began learning to produce after being a musician for a while.

I read a good tip for this is to use separate DAW's e.g Ableton for composing and Logic for mixing.

Sounds obvious but it happens, it sure did happen to me. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List