The WHY Behind Compression - US James Wiltshire goes beyond the numbers - 23/01/23

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by BEAT16, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Without touching your basic point, let me say this: the number of gold-/platinum records and Grammy awards has no value for anything. They look pretty in the lobby and attract business. That's it.

2. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

It should be called: Compression revisited.:yes:

3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Well, Sinus Well, my friend Rick Iantosca who won a Grammy for producing Jimmy Cliff's Cliff Hanger told me a week before he died that "winning that Grammy was like winning the lottery". Because of the cred of that win doors flew open that he said might never have done so without it and was able to go on and work with some of the biggest names in the industry, producing, composing and having a great life until his heart gave out at 59. Generally speaking concerning the true artistry of a song and the politics involved, yes, I agree with you 110%, but that is just one half of the equation.:mates:

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

That's what I was referring to with "attract business". Of course it opens doors. That's the nature of the business. And if you're not an asshole and you're a little bit lucky, one grammy quickly leads to another. However, the holding of a grammy award or the number of awards is not a sign of quality of own performance, unless the award refers directly to one's own performance in the respective category, e.g. "best engineered". But this is rarely the case, because most of the time you get a grammy just because the song is good and you are mentioned in the credits. How big your own part in the actual process and success of the song is is irrelevant.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List