The Truth About Why Your Mixes Suck

Discussion in 'Education' started by davea, Oct 13, 2016.

1. davea

davea Platinum Record

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

the first two minutes were a waste of time, let's keep going
    ok it's nothing new, can skip the other 10 minutes

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. SteveDuda'sBoyfriend

SteveDuda'sBoyfriend Noisemaker

knowledge is power!

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Couldnt agree more.Guy knows what he is talking about.

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Wow!!!!

This guy say things that´s been known for decades!!! Im really impressed!!!

So basically:
    If you cant play and instrument, sing propper etc etc you´ll end up with a very poor result!

Hmm... And then back to the real news :shalom::dunno::suicide::lmao::drunks::hahaha::hillbilly::thumbsdown::trashing::trolls::wtf::deep_facepalm::knock:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I just came here for @Von_Steyr
    Been missing you bro.

8. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

It's about intuitive ears and the necessary gear.. both of which he failed to mention as he doesn't look to have much of either. The resources are available today to do just about anything. If the nuances are clocked well and the tone is shaped so everything is cozy on the ears it'll translate as ear candy no matter what the fuck it is. At that point critics are only left to say they like the song or not. The sounds of a bar room brawl recorded by phone can be made to sound comfortable to the ears regardless of isolated clarity or the rhythm everyone was gettin' their ass kicked to. The most frequent problem I hear when people aren't happy with their mixes is: 1. Disturbing color. 2. The rhythmic nuances(floating transients) overlap too much, or fall too short.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    • List
  9. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Interesting.I agree and i have a tip for him too.Dude stop repeating yourself.We get it.From the first 4 minutes you got to the point and i couldn't agree more with you, but you keep telling the same thing for 10 more minutes :deep_facepalm:

10. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

The man spent 15min of his life doing nothing by telling you "There's nothing you can do". That's good advice for mixing engineers who want to lose a lot of their clientele to someone else.

11. He's talking about the act, not the engineer, and he's right.

If you can't do this...

[​IMG]

You can't do this...

[​IMG]

12. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Whatever. Some of my all-time favourite albums are of artists who could barely play their instruments. Capture somebody pouring their guts out… done.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Agreed, in my faves the pouring their guts out was usually combined with heroin addiction as well. Sold their souls to the Devil.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

You know what just go with your heart and soul on music and don't worry about the technical side. AVOID AT ALL COSTS video's of people telling you what YOU'RE DOING WRONG . If they could do it themselves they wouldn't be making such videos. Pretty simple. A hot record that sounds like shit is still a hot record. A shitty record that sounds amazing is still a shitty record.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  15. belalugosi

belalugosi Producer

lol, well, I love hot records that sounds great :D

16. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

The topic is "The Truth About Why Your Mixes Suck".. not "The Truth About Why You Cant Play Guitar". The mix engineer is responsible for the "mix". If mixing wasn't most responsible for making a dry recording sound better to the listening ear there wouldn't be such a competitive market and demand for it. The mixing is what separates the sound of peoples favorite records from the sound of a lot of artists who are just as good or better, but they lack the connections and resources to have world class engineering performed at the pre and/or post stage. You won't hold a field recorder up to either one of those guitar players and be #1 worldwide. Someone who repeats 3 notes on the guitar or bass will hit #1 first because the mix made that shit sound good to peoples ears. A good mix isn't dependent upon a muthafucka being able to play an instrument at all. There's licks heard in songs that the players can't even play, and singers are heard doing things vocally they can't go near when they sing live. That's the power of engineering. The dude in the video and you I suppose are underestimating how intuitive engineers work with modern technology. The "Can't Polish A Terd" cliche doesn't apply the way it did 40 years ago.

17. When David Gilmour gets up on that stage, surrounded by computers, and mix engineers, subs and tops and all the technology money that people buying tickets can buy, he's just another busker. And when I visit Soundcloud, I hear a whole lot of polished turds from people who can't busk, copying other people's cliches.

18. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Keep on gettin' the last word if it makes no sense.. that means you have to reply to this too.:like:

19. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

He makes some good points, even if his lecture is twice too long by virtue of redundant overstatement. There are too many inexperienced and untalented people jumping into recording – erm, "producing" - with little musicality about them or with the idea that the technology can pick-up their slack. Even knowning how to work within or around one's limitations can get some listenable or amazing results, but not realizing, nor having to face, what one'e incapabilities are is pitiful. In this very forum, people often pose questions like, "What software can I use to write lyrics for me?" or, "Which DAW has built-in music theory?" It's become too easy; thus, people can be lazy. No VST can play 'til your fingers bleed, either.

20. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

Exactly! :rofl:

21. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

so they said about Robert Johnson , the de facto Father of Rock and Roll...

also dead at 27 poisoned by a jealous husband... all the elements.. sex, drugs, rock n' roll ( and early demise )

[​IMG]