The synth covers vol. 1 - a good way to practice mixing is to cover songs with MIDI

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by CosmicStorm, Dec 23, 2019.

1. CosmicStorm

CosmicStorm Member

Hi everyone! This is my fourth album and it was made mainly to practice mixing and to find the proccess to make drums with MIDI that best suits me. As a bonus I tried to use only synthesizers as instrumentation, to learn how to tweak them, starting from presets. It's very interesting the different textures that need to be used to replace some of the original parts, specially vocals.

The making of this album took place within a 3 month period from october 2019 to december 2019. The songs were selected because I like them, I thought they'd do well with synthesizers as the only instrumentation, and beacuse they suited a flow for the whole album.

I used Reaper as the DAW; AIR Music Technology, TAL, FabFilter and Nektar synths; EZdrummer 2 as the drums (I like the whole 8bit aesthetic, but sampled real drums do way better for me); and a lot of the stock plugins and more FabFilter for mixing and mastering.

The album can be downloaded and streamed with full quality on Bandcamp.
    And also streamed on YouTube.

Track listing:

1. Eye in the Sky - The Alan Parsons Project 06:38
    2. Ænema - TOOL 06:32
    3. Assassin - Muse 03:32
    4. Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold 05:46
    5. BronYrAur - Led Zeppelin 02:04
    6. River of Deceit - Mad Season 05:05
    7. Aerials - System of a Down 04:06
    8. The Funeral Portrait - Opeth 08:26
    9. The Words - Soen 06:19
    10. The Pot - TOOL 06:28
    11. Earth Day - Devin Townsend 09:37
    12. Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce 02:08

3. SLProjectNinetyOne

SLProjectNinetyOne Newbie

Hi mate,
    I really dug your album, I had a listen on YT - I can see and feel a lot of scope there for experimentation (the Avenged Sevenfold track was cool). How do you find Reaper as a DAW? A musical partner of mine was right into it, I use predominately Ableton but have used Reason with ReWire in the past.

4. CosmicStorm

CosmicStorm Member

Thank you for your opinion, SLProjectNinetyOne :D
    I use Reaper because of their "pay when you can" policy, their massive customization options and because I'm used to the controls as I come from using Cool Edit Pro 2. I haven't tried any other DAWs, although I've seen people using Ableton, ProTools, Logic Pro... can't se a reason to switch (from my work-process, of course). Maybe the stock plugins would be an interesting reason, or the workflow on Ableton, wich is more tailored for certain genres... but I do dig Reaper's developers values, the community and their policies, it's a good thing to support :thumbsup: