The Science of Well-Being (happiness)

Discussion in 'Education' started by ICWC, Dec 17, 2018.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

"Don't worry, be happy..." it's about ignoring all the problems, being passive, not trying to overcome them. Rather depressing song, if you ask me. :wink: Problems that make you unhappy won't just magically go away if you ignore them long enough. Kinda like that bully in the secondary school that used to harass you when you were just a "lowly nipper", a "tosser", and a "plonker", remember? You just gotta kick his bloody arse to make him go away!:rofl:

Being pro-active and trying to actively overcome the problems in your life is actually the only way to make yourself more happy, because you gain happiness by doing something and consequently becoming successful at it. Oftentimes even just *doing something* will make you happier! :wink:

Success makes you more self-confident. Being more self-confident will get you more social life. More social life will get you friends and love... etc. To become successful in any of those things I mentioned, you have to be persistent, tenacious, practice, rinse and repeat, never give up. It has everything to do with what I said in my earlier post... :wink:

So move your arse and be happy! :wink:

It doesn't work any other way. <-- note to self, cause I'm a procrastinator and a lazy-arse. :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

"You gots to chill." - EPMD

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'm a friggin' Greenland. And that's my problem. :rofl: But I'm a thinker, and a logical, philosophical kinda person. With weak personality. :sad: Very prone to vices. If I was richer, I would be a heroin addict and die of an overdose in my early 30s.

However, the power of words can influence some people stronger, and my hope is that what I said will do exactly that. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. vladimir guerrero

vladimir guerrero Kapellmeister

SineWave is on point, like usual.

Do, do, do, and then enjoy rest, friends, entertainment... life becomes so much easier (in some ways) and we become more effective when we have momentum. Get one thing done with satisfaction, build on it and never stop except to enjoy that well-deserved rest and laziness. Those are very important too imo.

I would suggest living simply, and don’t work more than 40 hours a week if you can manage. We are *all* going to experience crazy shifts in living conditions as the world gets desperate. Sorry for all my doomsaying but I’m just trying to comprehend the world’s suicidal madness.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

People should be more humble, in their desires especially. That would make them happier. I see loads of narcissism everywhere, and I'm not impervious to it, too. Nobody is. But some people recognise they're sick, whilst others just continue to live their lives as usual. It depends on how aware, or rather self-aware you are.

Let me remind you that the US is the biggest user of antidepressants in the world. Why is that? The place is supposedly the happiest place on Earth? I think that's easy to answer... If you can't see it, you have to go to a lonely place, take a bag of weed with you, and sit there for a couple of days alone, just smoking and pondering stuff. Possibly with your best friend. I've done things like that... Yeah, I know I'm not normal. :rofl:

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Living for almost 50 years with an ADD fucked up mind, borderline bi-polar, overemotional, over-temperamental, high IQ and social skills of a teen on top makes "wonders" for your life... :sad:

I wonder how come I'm not a hobo yet. Well, there's still hope. I think I'd be happier that way, actually. I'm not afraid of it. Nor am I afraid of dying. World is bat shit crazy.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. vladimir guerrero

I love seeing Wittgenstein here, but I much prefer his later works like The Investigations and On Certainty. The Tractatus got just about everything wrong and Wittgenstein said so himself!

But don’t get mewrong. The Tractatus is a brilliant and mysterious work of art— it’s so austere, recursive, almost autistic.... which is written like absolutely nothing I’ve ever seen. but look where it lead everyone: the waywardly reductive Logical Positivism— a program that put philosophy in a straight jacket and muzzle for decades.

So don’t worry everyone: you’re not speaking nonsense when you talk about feelings and emotions.

“I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.” — LW

“A picture held us captive. And we could not get outside it, for it lay in our language and language seemed to repeat it to us inexorably.”— LW

“So in the end, when one is doing philosophy, one gets to the point where one would like just to emit an inarticulate sound.” — LW

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. vladimir guerrero

You pretty much just described me, lol. No wonder I like your opinions so much.

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Shake hands, dude, and an obligatory hug. :) There are droves of people like that, though. It's so sad. I think when there are droves of good and intelligent people who are being unhappy, then the society must be so fucked. I just wonder if it's fucked beyond repair. That's my latest "fad". :rofl:

Trump-oline and all the SJW-ism made me think that the world is now officially a complete piece of diarrhoea, an arena of narcissism in which the worst and most stupid arseholes survive, or have better lives at least. Nobody can persuade me otherwise. I'm actually married to an SJW and witness her "sheepishness" and stupidity in thought processing, especially critical thought, every fucking day, it pisses me off when someone can't see a tree for the forest. :sad: Or even worse, when someone can't see the forest for the tree... that's an even trickier one.

10. vladimir guerrero

Ha! My long-term partner is a queer SJW-type and I love it. We're both careful not to veer into identity politics though. I'm usually convinced by her arguments that necessitate the protection of marginalized people. I think there are probably countless forms of SJW-ism, some quite obnoxious, I agree.

11. farao

farao Rock Star

Well, we are evolved imperfect biological animals, why would you suppose we would or should be even close to happy as a normal state of emotion?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  12. black.afrika.zulu.x

Be.

13. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Happiness is the success of taking care of your physical ,psychological and emotional aspects along with accomplishing specific goals related to self advancement.

14. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Nice rant , except one problem

In every moment of your life,
    You can either decide to be a victim of your circumstances whatever they may be

OR

You can decide to overcome every obstacle , and rise to be the best version of yourself , living in a particular way as to advance every aspect of yourself as a way of life no matter your circumstances umstance

15. black.afrika.zulu.x

You're engaging in suo motu deontological peregrinations. :unsure:

16. E.T.F

E.T.F Producer