The Science of Well-Being (happiness)

Discussion in 'Education' started by ICWC, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ICWC

ICWC Guest

About this Course
    “The Science of Well-Being” taught by Professor Laurie Santos overviews what psychological science says about happiness. The purpose of the course is to not only learn what psychological research says about what makes us happy but also to put those strategies into practice. The first part of the course reveals misconceptions we have about happiness and the annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do. The next part of the course focuses on activities that have been proven to increase happiness along with strategies to build better habits. The last part of the course gives learners time, tips, and social support to work on the final assignment which asks learners to apply one wellness activity aka "Rewirement" into their lives for four weeks.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being

@black.afrika.zulu.x
    Another nose-bleeding one but check out may it help to tackle the possible corruption power of music?:wink:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. vladimir guerrero

vladimir guerrero Kapellmeister

Happiness (especially the industry of so-called ‘Wellness’) is a cult. This isn’t a time for happiness. Doing Pilates, eating free-range broccoli, feeling peachy keen and collecting happy thoughts, wrapped up in a warm, fuzzy blanket of self-satisfaction and utter disconnection from the horror of billions suffering now and the likely extinction of our species... I’ll pass on this happiness and instead work toward a desperate revolution. Yuppie solipsists and the cowardly intellectual class aren’t going to help here. Suspect their prescriptions as if they were all bought-off doctors.

I have no problems with good habits, good humor, a modicum of optimism, and the ability to find respite long enough to recharge one’s batteries. But goddamn, this obsession with happiness is going to get us all killed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. ICWC

ICWC Guest

Are you generally an unhappy person in your life? If yes, so unhappy about what? What does make you feel fed up?

If no, why are you talking desperately?

:wink::mates:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  5. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Cult-ure is often born out of those "activities that have been proven to increase happiness" from your ad @ICWC. :bleh:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

I have an adolescent friend that was into this sort of thing; used to read every self-help book, and was enamoured of all the gurus you're supposed to worship: The Dalai Lama, Bruce Lee, Schwarznegger, Tony Robbins, Kehoe, etc. He ate salads, and went to the gym, read personal finance self-help books, and thought very deep thoughts.

He's now a hobo.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. farao

farao Rock Star

Pursuit of happiness... Ya... Good luck...:hahaha:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  8. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I feel like I'm being scammed albeit in an ivy league way, foster. Also, will Brett Kavanaugh show up to any of these happiness-fulfilment / rug seminars, because that would ruin the mood? Possibly the smell >____>

Yeah, but he does at least have catchy (annoying) theme muzak to show for it:

(If you don't feel a bit moar cheerful after that, I'm not sure any seminar will help? =)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  9. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Foster makes me happy because he's taking my advice and trying....very trying sometimes :hahaha:

Happiness is very difficult to define. That taught "overview" mentioned by the OP is so narrow and presupposes that the student has a problem with happiness, that I will ignore it. So, are we living happy lives or enjoying happy moments in a miserable and unfulfilled life? Can a country be thought of as happy when there are so many illnesses of the mind and body being suffered, if not, then there is no happy country on this Earth. Can anyone be happy when those around him are suffering? Absolutely not, because to think that you can be, would be an example of the brain not working properly. Happiness is a concept, a state of mind, and that is something that is ultimately under our own control. When we are weak, we relinquish that control and those with bad intentions take advantage and re-program us. The self-help people, and those working hard to 'out' many truths that have been hidden from us, and many others, are part of an emerging new alternative to religion. They are spiritual but also scientific. They don't bind you in to an ancient "belief system" with rules and scare you with the wrath of any god if you break rules, they say "do your own research", and if you resonate with their truth then go with it. They encourage us to help ourelves, help us to realise that we have the power, not any priest. We can understand our part in the holographic movie called God/The Creation without any religion. Their intentions are good. Even physical things that make us happy, sex, eating, playing all make us happy because they cause the release of chemicals in the brain that change our state of mind. Our state if mind is changed caused by a change of frequency in brain resonance. It is not possible to be happy without thinking that you are. The self-help people are using this beautiful truth to help people to be happy. If you "think happy" you "will be happy".

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. black.afrika.zulu.x

"Whereof one cannot speak; thereof one must be silent." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

!!!

11. farao

farao Rock Star

Happiness is what you feel when things are going well, not a goal worthy of seeking in of itself. To lure unhappy people into taking this course promising a way to happiness and taking their money is rather nasty i m o.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  12. black.afrika.zulu.x

STOP TALKING ABOUT HAPPINESS!

LIKE LOVE, IT CAN ONLY BE EXPERIENCED--NOT SPOKEN OF.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Newbie

All the science I need on this topic...

14. black.afrika.zulu.x

This is happiness!

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • List
  15. vladimir guerrero

Hehe, I thought I would get called out on this.

I'm not a particularly happy person, but that doesn't mean I don't love to see people enjoying happiness themselves. It's hugely inspiring for me. All I want is for people to have lives full of flourishing. But like farao said, I don't believe happiness, per se, should be our goal, and especially not in our contemporary world. It's a result of things going well-- of having a life full of meaning, with activities that open up the world further and further for oneself and others.

I also acknowledge that people often do their best work when they're happy. It can give us energy, spirit, focus... But turning oneself into a contentedness-sink isn't the way forward.

And if someone is biologically mentally ill, that's its own problem. I take medicine to stay out of suicidal ditches, and it helps to a degree, but the majority of mental sickness is a result of a world careening off the rails. It's mostly environmental, not biological. And yes-- eat healthy food, exercise, take care of yourselves the best you can. All important stuff!

But don't be that pig in a cage on antibiotics.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  16. vladimir guerrero

This is seriously bumming me out, lol.

17. vladimir guerrero

And I guess I should be clear: my real target here is the Wellness industry. As if we needed to become even more self-obsessed and disconnected from others! How can an atom be happy?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  18. robotboy

robotboy Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

• Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. vladimir guerrero

You're definitely looking at one biological process that contributes to happiness. And that movie is spectacular. I thought it had to be really good computer graphics, but I looked it up and you're looking at an image from an electron microscope. Stunning!

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  21. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

This is my "happiness bible", sort of:

This is my favourite part:

In a nutshell, happiness is defined by how content with your life you are, which comes from how self-confident you are, how loved and loving you are, how you deal with hardship, and how many good friends you have - how accepted socially you are. It is rather simple, really, on paper... :wink:

I didn't mention wealth, because I don't believe in wealth alone being able to make you happy. If you manage to find satisfaction and master everything I mentioned to your satisfaction, you will be absolutely and exeptionally happy. And wealthy. In whatever context. :wink: [Unless you suffer from mental illness like depression, anxiety, bi-polar etc.]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List