The saddest fact about music

Discussion in 'Education' started by The King, Feb 28, 2024.

1. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

@The King
    Please, solve this captcha before continuing the conversation
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

Timothy Graham, an expert on bot networks at the Queensland University of Technology, ran the messages through a series of bot and AI detectors.

Dr Graham found 100 per cent of the text was AI-generated.

"Overall, it appears to be a crypto bot network using AI to generate its content," he said.

"I suspect that at this stage it's just trying to recruit followers and write content that will age the fake accounts long enough to sell them or use them for another purpose."

That is, the bots probably weren't being directed to tweet about the reef in order to sway public opinion.

Dr Graham suspects these particular bots probably have no human oversight, but are carrying out automated routines intended to out-fox the bot-detection algorithms.

Searching for meaning in their babble was often pointless, he said.

"[Professor Hughes] is trying to interpret it and is quite right to try and make sense of it, but it just chews up attention, and the more engagement they get, the more they are rewarded.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...blem-as-ai-spam-floods-the-internet/103498070

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. The King

The King Guest

Unfortunately, below average AI has a deep cognitive weakness in actually understanding notes and using them too because their creators have simplistically ignored this issue.

4. The King

The King Guest

Lack of knowledge of working with notes leads to stupidity in music. This is another sad fact. Stupidity in all realms of music production.

5. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

Alright F(tr)O(ll)STER... (...)

[​IMG]

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Short time no see Foster. Still nuts?

7. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

oh mighty king, could you kindly provide us with an example of the 0.01% musicians who understand notes?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Funny, notes are made of what exactly?

A frequencies, right? So you've got a lot of them in one note, considering the timbre (unless you're using pure sine waves in a strict temperament), basically without recognizing all of the frequencies (fundamental, over/undertones, resonances, inharmonics, sibilants) you're already lost, even with one note. Not to mention the timing of the notes.

Sure you can abstract it away to notation, but since we don't hear it that way means we can't process it that way. Of course you can use set theory (for pitch classes) and strict functional harmony to try to make and notate "pure" music, but see where that gets you without people ever actually hearing it.

There's no way to take this shit seriously, no one can.

9. Magic Max

Magic Max Platinum Record

10. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Next time don't huff so much paint before you try to figure out jazz man..

11. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

y'all talking to a chat bot...
    don't feed the ai troll..

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The happiest fact about music is...that if we musicians began to really understand notes, truly groked those dots, hashes and lines, made them our own, then we'd all pass the Virgin Roman God of Music, the badass Minerva's test to finally be able to qualify to wear those amazing Fyodor Dostoevsky socks that we all as a community treasure deeply in our hearts as symbols of proficiency and orderliness. As far as I know, only Frank Zappa was able to procure a pair which he wore every day on his feet and was eventually buried in that hallowed patch of ground at Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Memorial Park & Mortuary, wearing them (the day the music died), those beloved black silk screened pedale coverings which he earned with the blood, sweat and tears of grinding it out each and every day while plopping down those bespoke notes with vigor and fortitude.

Great first thread by the way, The King, and I for one hope to see more of them coming soon.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Kapellmeister

So, talking to bots now are we?

14. ga01

ga01 Noisemaker

Music is to notes, like thievering to bank notes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

i actually believe that notation system is obsolete and inefficient,
    and i wish they would finally come up with a method of capturing melodies from brainwaves. I will be starting a topic on this subject soon.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

i actually believe i have ADHD everytime i come to this website

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. The King

The King Guest

Dear sir I think you got me wrong. I don't mean the form of the representation of tones on the page. It can be anything.

I mean the tones themselves. The real and physical sound that any musical instrument (real or electric) produces.

Music producers put 30 to 40 notes together and then they don't know what to do and the only thing they can think of is to repeat these few notes in different loops which have been mixed with other things.

This wrong method has been done for 50 years and many people have been trapped in these loops and cannot get out of them.

The only way is to know the tones and their relationships properly and the composers don't have to clumsily repeat the few materials they have created.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. The King

The King Guest

Do not deceive yourself with these things. These weak arguments are nothing more than an excuse to learn music rightly. Your argument and rationale alone is enough for a person to follow the wrong path of music for the rest of his life, as many people did before and now we are witnessing the result.

19. boabo

boabo Newbie

ever heard about the beatles....

20. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

The saddest fact about music is the existence of unfinished masterpieces. Throughout history, composers have had works tragically cut short by illness, death, or unforeseen circumstances. These unfinished pieces stand forever frozen in a state of "what could have been." The same goes for lost works of great composers.
    For instance, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Requiem was left incomplete at the time of his death, leaving a profound sense of absence, misfortune, and regret.
    Unfinished masterpieces not only evoke thoughts of unfulfilled potential; they also leave the listener contemplating the path the unfinished music might have taken, the additional emotions and ideas it might have evoked, and the artistic worth it might have made in its entirety.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List