THE REFERENCE TRACK THREAD

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by SteveFaoki'sGhostProducer, Jan 26, 2019.

1. SteveFaoki'sGhostProducer

SteveFaoki'sGhostProducer Member

Looking to beef up my reference track folder with the BEST mixed and mastered dance tunes, house/dubstep/trance/trap/future shit(bass) just trying to catalog a good reference list lets make this big

3. Placeholder

Placeholder Ultrasonic

umm...pick what you like?

My reference folders are picked with music that I personally enjoy and I find well mixed. Sometimes it's not mixed very well, but there's something inspiring about it, so I download it. There's different reasons why something would go into my folder, but it's there because I personally enjoy it, regardless of what's trending or someone else's tastes.

Just get what you enjoy. Its what inspires YOU after all and nobody can decide that for you.

4. El digital

El digital Ultrasonic

Maybe you could share what your top 3 reference tracks are? That would be useful.

Personally, I don't know much about EDM but Pink Stars by Yahel is one of the best sounding (and very loud) track I ever heard.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

there are some star mastering engineers lists out there but I found them pretty useless, I expected more from them but it was just my own insecurity. I realised for those producers it worked more as a sort of "get in the mood" soundtrack, to get into the vibe more than a sort of "guide" to how to mix a certain track.

but, the idea is not bad at all, ive been gathering some tracks but didnt come so far so ill be following tips on interesting "classic" sound for certain genres, maybe there will be something interesting to pick up

6. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Search for Luca Pretolesi ( Studio DMI ).
    There are several videos where he explains his way of working.

7. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

Well I agree mostly with Placeholder on the choice of the reference but there are for sure some tracks that are objectively mixed very well and that could be used for good.
    For example:
    Dubstep: some old Knife Party tracks like Bonfire, Internet Friends, etc are very very well mixed and mastered. They made dubstep and electro and yet could keep their tracks so clean.
    For Future Bass Illunium for sure, pick a random track they're all mixed very well.
    Future House & Bounce: Brooks tracks, any of the latest (Byte, Like I Do, Lynx).