The Real Reason Why Music Is Getting Worse (Beato)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Zenarcist, Jun 26, 2024 at 3:32 PM.

1. eli91

eli91 Ultrasonic

Judging by the very few things I heard of his, it's the kind of records that would produce anyone who holds his boring, shallow ideas about what music should be. I remember when he started the "what makes this song great" series: I tried to give him a chance and watched a few episodes, but I just stopped caring pretty soon. In the end he didn't have any meaningful insight about pretty much anything, just some technical babbling here and there and a lot of Homer-Simpson-esque "this is true rock n' roll, kids" attitude.

There's not much you can say when your taste is limited to the average boomer-pop-rock songs that everybody has grown tired of because we've heard them a million times (and that are kind of bland by themselves). We all know that Sting - Shape of My Heart is well recorded and that it has some weird harmonies in there, but it still sounds like background music for a family trip in the 90s. Just let it go, move on and discover some new things, like everyone else.

Getting stuck on a loop about some "real music" that died 3 decades ago doesn't deepen your knowledge, just narrows it.

To me, the only kind of debate that may have any kind of interest nowadays is about the multiple ways the music industry (including streaming platforms, distribution services, etc) determines the hegemonic aesthetics in the digital era. Who is creating music, whose music is going mainstream, which are the gatekeeps to non-mainstream music. Anything else is just ahistorical cherry-picking trying to confirm your own bias, not an opinion on the real state of music.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

I had an edition that had the censored parts restored in italics, as it was heavy-handed by the Soviet authorities. And the stuff that was censored was just weird. Maybe it had some connotations in Russian that I didn't get. But still the subtle but brutal satire of the authorities got through.

It's a masterpiece of a book, one of my all-time favourites!

As for Vonnegut... another utter master of wordsmanship. I'd highly recommend against listening to "Breakfast of Champions" as an audiobook at evenings and falling asleep to it... weird dreams can ensue.

3. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

As the perfect antidote I recommend Pat Finnerty's "what makes this song stink" series.

Along with Rational Funk w/ Dave King, it's the funniest music related youtube content ever created.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Haze

Haze Producer

Despite your persistence with this concept you still didn't answer my question "What are notes?".

If you are unable to define what notes are in the first place how are you able to know that people are unable to work with them?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Putinaros22

Putinaros22 Member

Still remember the Progressive House scene of the 90s ( Global Underground , Bedrock , Northern Exposure etc ) which was the epitome of electronic music a real Journey of senses . Then i listen the Progressive House of 2020s which is the epitome of amateurish bullshit for little children at least with chord progressions made by people who knows nothing about music . You cant even dance with drops and pauses every 30 seconds .

6. Bassifondi

Bassifondi Ultrasonic

I didn't see him as hating.

7. infinatesorrow

infinatesorrow Noisemaker

music is getting worse because the anunnaki do not have the pineal gland and the pineal gland allows manipulation of sound - however with an active pineal music becomes extremely complicated and can be used to harmonically tune the earth as well as activate the power grid even in it's current state of disrepair - harmonic tuning provides an environment that is in tune with our dna but despite using gene splicing to hasten our evolution - our frequency as far as dna coding and theres are 2 different things - in the US the taste in music has been dumbed down so much there is no chance whatsoever of waking the pineal glad - today's music is just dumb - it is a means of diminishing human capacity and making sure we remain indoctrinated for anyone that truly understands the power of frequency can indeed produce music that can carry the power of compulsion - you can hypnotize with it, plant hypnotic suggestion and even so far as complete mind control

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

well lets just say commercialization happened to prog house mid 2010s, thats never good for a genre. Prog House mid 90s was still kinda underground. (via Tomorrowland, Ultra in Miami, etc)

the same can be find by checking out dubstep releases before dubstep entered the mainstream, prior before 2010, if not even earlier.

similar was the case for garage, at some point a style if not even genre - enters the mainstream, it become popular, it will get integrated in parts into popmusic and this leads to less experimentation inside the genre, but getting more formulative -- boring, consumable for the mainstream, sometimes tsyles return to the old form in form of post-styles, regain back their experimental character sometimes.

right i think techno is very popular, in the form of melodic techno, it kinda sounds like prog trance from 2007/2008 or even earlier, but its just so bad done, dumbed down in some way.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

1) thats the passiveness i am talking, eat everything from the playlist, the industry shoves them in the mouth ... glad there are independent labels out there, which try to release good stuff and they rely on passionate people.
    I am not sure how dangerous streaming service are for our music? But they definitely enforced a certain track length of tracks, which is sad no longer long mixes, just freaking short edits on spotify for example, which just get to the point to quickly and you can also feel how the mass consumer wants the drop immediately happening, its very sad ... how they got trained in that way ...

2) It is difficult to describe, usually i describe music by the use of elements (303s, phat bassline, which goes well) or simply that hthe melody is very good written, it just works perfect with the other elements. We as musicians just hear so much details, even if its only a hat-sound making something special. Often when i talk with friends about music, i am overly specific on how i love something in a song and why i love it.
    Its difficult to get into deep music discussions, since yes for most of the people i did interact so far, music is just something as a background noise, not something they actual imagine and putting their full attention to.

3) cant really say anything about that, i dont really watch him ...
    Of course everybody can say something about music, it just has to be evaluated if its worth listen to it.

10. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

it is so amazing when you find someone with the same passion as yours and a similar taste. those are the best talks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Putinaros22

Putinaros22 Member

Armin van Buuren - Blue Fear - YouTube

Northern Exposure vol II - West

Still remember dancing it in the clubs of London end of 90s when i was studying ( clubing lol ) ...................................

12. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

just look into general sales and click numbers , it showing clearly what is up
    and these numb3rs are elobarted from the dumb masses .

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 6:51 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. echoii

echoii Member

Beato-Tomato is a grandiose bullshitter and a vile scammer lying through his teeth. He doesn't actually care about music or the "problems with music today", oh he's so concerned, poor boy, he just creates BS clickbaits to get views and capitalize at the end of the month when googlie sends him the streaming dollar. His viewers and subs are useful idiots to him.

14. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Respect to Rick Beato :like:

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

real reason is youtube recommending opinions of people like Rick Beato who are constantly complaining and technical-wanking about music creating subconsciously toxic mindsets of aspiring musicians
    :chilling:

16. ClarSum

ClarSum Member

Fair winds and following seas, may you always stay afloat the good ship Notes and may she be your steadfast vessel on life's vast ocean.. Godspeed young Danie.:drunks:

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Has anyone mentioned the notes being in the wrong order yet?

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Just change your username again, and you'll be back tomorrow :wink:

19. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Not a note outta order as far as I can see.

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual