The Programmed Hat Feel Trick

Discussion in 'Education' started by P O P, Jul 21, 2015.

1. P O P

P O P Kapellmeister

I hope it helps some of you making your HH more natural!! :mates:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Random automation emulates only an schizophrenic real drummer...
    Real good drummer have intention to make a good groove.
    Automate each note or, better play, with keys, pads or midi drums are much better.
    Almost any drum module or vst change the EQ naturally with velocity.
    Image Toontrack or FXpandion doing hat with random automation :rofl:
    JOKE only useful for robot drummers... :excl:
    But I do not believe that robots like you can understand right?
    If anyone do not like the comment please read P.O.P posts *yes*
    Real music is not about tricks!

4. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@POP thnx for the link. Its allways good to learn different techniques to get some ideas and to develop. :mates:

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Ovalf.. what works for you.. may not work for others...

what you don't appreciate.. others will.

What is 'Real music' to you.. is crap to some.

..and honestly.. music can, most certainly be all about tricks, tips and tits.. especially thesedays.

Chill mate. :thumbsup:

6. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

while the creator of the video refers to these techniques as "tricks", the fact is that these are tried and true production techniques that are used by real recording engineers and producers to make real music every day.

7. Pete

Pete Member

I know what you're saying, but it completely depends on what you want, sure if you're trying to make your kit sound like an actual session drummer then your way is probably the best, but if you just want to add some subtle interest to a hi-hat pattern (especially in electronic music) the random thing works perfectly.

The more "tricks" you have, the more versatile you'll be - if you're working to a tight deadline there isn't always time to make your hi hats sound 100% authentic. :)

If you are using a random plug in (Like Ableton Live's "Velocity") I recommended subtly automating the range of the low and high random, to give the randomness dynamic direction. :)

8. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

WOW thanks for not insulting me like you did before, but you must chill before insulting other right? Its good to see people that insult others supporting each other. Theres a time where here good people support each other.

Random its only good for the timbre, but the title says Programming ha FEEL.
    All analog generates random artifacts, but FEEL its INTENSIONALLY, not random.
    If you wanna emulate an instrument you must emulate the player.
    In the beginning of the drum sample modules people always said that they sound "Japanese", not a real drummer.
    Wrong! It was well programmed as a bad player do. Thats why real drummers do not believe that when I play or write digital drums it sounds so good.
    I do automation about everything, but NEVER with velocity.

So the title is wrong because FEEL ts about intention and random is about analog emulation.

If someone wanna emulate a real HH buy a cheap drum controller, it worth *yes*

Now you can continue measuring dicks and make one more great contribuition with great fundamentation + kissing asses :mates: :wink:

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Yawn... Im not hungry.. ^ Troll ^

*no*

10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Ovalf, you spend your time searching for troubles.
    So expect them to happen :wink:
    You wonder why some ppl "insult" you ?
    Learn social interaction :rofl:

11. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I respesct you but you do not know the hole story and wanna comment.
    Thats OK for people insulting in AudioSex.
    By One Reason when I disagree he calmm "shoerted mind"
    POP do an extended shit, he troll the posts without thanks, thats good right?
    Also I was called
    DUMB
    Layer.
    So the rules of this abandon site worth anything?
    Do you think that Catalyst agree with that?
    No respected is needed?
    I never offended anyone for free, this site is for expressing opinions without jerks trolling and disrespect.
    I learn social interaction way more than you and only one thing needed is RESPECT.
    I worked 1-3 nights per week in 8 years as monitor for with groups with addicted adn family/friends and never have a fight, why? Because have respect.
    With this atitute you are only reinforce jerk attitudes and contribute to end the life of this site.
    For months I only remember one monitor interference
    If you read all the posts you could see that the trouble is not just with me.
    NO ONE GET THE RIGHT TO BE A JERK IF SOMEONE HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION.
    So when the jerks attack you (and they will), you wants the silence and convenience?
    So basically if someone disrespect you think that the person searchs for it?
    The guilty are the children, not the molesters righ?
    I spend time with that because this site is important for me and I do not believe that jerks are right. They are only take away good people, and thats really sad, But thats ok for you right?

12. P O P

P O P Kapellmeister

what's the aim of this seriously :dunno:...

13. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

Or it emulate the physical entropy phenomenon : air consistency, cymbal reaction, movement of the fat in the arm, air resistance toward the cymbal, its elasticity, the fact that the drummer won't hit exactly the same point on the cymbal... this things are actually totally random, no matter how the drummer get his groove right. This method has a point.

I don't know what the whole story goin' on with P O P , but here in this thread, you sound just like your terrible profile pic.
    I don't think P O P molested you as a child.
    I don't think the fact you volunteered for AA and addicts stuffs give you the right to take a shit on him for (here) no reason.
    If you have a problem w/ someone, PM a mod and work this out off public eyes. (i dont volunteer for AAs but i did moderate a pretty large IRC chan for a while)

14. P O P

P O P Kapellmeister

i don't know it too:dunno:

15. Atick

Atick Member

I struggle with hi hat programming (as well as most of the other stuff) so thanks for the vid, some of his other stuff on you tube is interesting as well :)

16. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Really? you do know the whole story and like to opinate?
    Search google: figure of speach
    An example to prove a point is not valid for you. I said that something gave me the right of doing something? Ask for respect is much for you too.
    Its funny when someone is disrespected is ok for all, and when I reclaim of a bad attitude is not.
    Seams that everyone without understanding a point could opinate, and thats ok for you?
    Can you see thats no moderation as I wrote?
    Please know the facts before judge, if you do not understand a point ask or search in the google.
    Its bad to know that historicity is dead, no one is interested with the past, live only the momente and will repeat the errors from the past.
    Instead putting words in my mouth, please read with attention, good glasses and good monitors ok?
    Opinate without reading well or search for all the history its called frivolous. flippant and and trifling.
    Real communication should do with conscience right?:mates:

17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

ehhhmm Ovalf.. why don't you tell us the "hole" story... ?? probably more interesting than a TROLL story ...

more to the point.. aside from using real drums, I think it's going to take a next generation
    of programming, be it daw features special made for drums, or striking new features to existing
    drum software AD, Superior, FXpansion etc. to make sampled drums sound realistic ..
    or a completely new product maybe someone is toiling away on right now...

either way...seems we're quite far from the "singularity" for drums

in the meantime should not be a big investment to just record some real drum elements,
    such as a real hi hat

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  18. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I think I'll just go practice.......drums. My vintage Zildjian 14" hi-hats get a Shure KSM137, EQ, panned hard to side, blended with the mid-side stereo overheads. lol I don't much like the sound of compression on drums, if I can avoid it. I use parallel compression, sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015