The problems of installing shit offline

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Someone, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Do you guys hate the installation process of software these days, too? I mean its quiet complicated, it takes time because you have to register an account, register the product, sometimes load files into the programm to make it work, etc etc etc...

And then there are software comanys which make it unpossible to install offline, even adio software developers... Okay it allready sucks for gamers if they have to have acces to the internet all the time just to play a game. Luckly Im not a gamer, that would really piss me off.
    But why the hell are there online installers only for audio stuff??? I would NEVER let my audio PC on the internet, just to risky. Say what you want, but going on the web means you need a good browser (IE is shit) and a antivirus program. You collect data, even if you dont download you have temporary data which waste space on your hard drive. And the possibilty of catching a virus is like 100% higher.
    But it seems like thats not possible with some products... or you choose to make a offline activation. It worked fine with me till now, and it was allwyas made sure its possible. But its getting more complex already... Some day it wont be possible anymore :sad:

What do you guys think of this "trend"?

3. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

i agree man, soon every app will have to connect to developer's "cloud" for daily re-registration

anyone remember the XBOXONE's initial stance of online checks once a day to see if you have pirated a game? if you were a normal consumer and not a pirate, if you didnt check in once a day, you couldnt play the games you actually bought.

luckily, horrible media and consumer feedback made Micro$oft reverse its position and scrap the 24-hour check system.... but i can see this thing becoming more prevalent in ALL software in the future, as cloud services begin to be more widely adopted.

Im on PC, and on the topic of offline music rigs vs. online music rigs, i have to say, having a networked rig with all the windows network services running means more system resources for the networking stuff and less for your DAW processing.. unless you have a kick ass super fast new system, no internet on your music rig is the way to go..

of course, if you make a partitioned hard drive dual boot system you can do both..

4. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

There's a simple solution (and I'm sure this goes for every product where you considering a purchase/use):

If you don't like a special 'feature' of the product you consider buying, then just don't buy it. :break:

(Potential) loss of customers is the only efficient way to make a company think about their methods(even Microsoft has backed off finally). :rofl:

But if you buy it (and you knew before): don't moan about it. :wink:

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

There is another problem tho, the Shit we install offline will be the same Shit we install online so i have come to the conclusion that the word Shit is the operative word :wow:

6. lukie

lukie Newbie

Is it because a top Microsoft boss has left to start in marijauna :break:

link

7. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

lol you should post that link in news section!!!!

8. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

Not really a problem for me. Antivirus is not mandatory unless you don't know what you're doing. The point of online gaming is to play with gamers from the convenience of your home without having to drag your computer to a lan party. I'm just calling it how I see it, you're crying for no reason. Hate hate hate :rofl:

9. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Good for you that you seem to be fine with all that online-stuff, even if you missed the point (Im not sure if you got it, Im no gamer and the main topic is online registration for audio software and the problems that come with an offline PC you put up because Music is fucking important to you and you dont want to take any risks)
    But as far as I understand it you dont understand my reason, so you actually dont know what Im "crying" about...

10. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

I don't see what it had to do with music but hey, YOU brought that up not me. I can game with friends from the convenience of my own home with people who live hundreds of miles away. Its actually pretty awesome, I don't know what would piss you off about that, honestly :dunno: . Luckily you aren't a gamer, enough people whine and complain in the gaming communities. :break:

I could see this being an issue IF you had cracked warez and were trying to purchase "some" legit stuff. That could cause one to be paranoid, I guess. My issue were the dongles but I've managed to find a way around them. I respect that you didn't deny the fact you are crying though. :mates: Installing/Uninstalling software is cake, new or old. :dancing:

11. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Dude, I really get the feeling that you actually dont know what Im talking about...

12. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

Hilarious!

13. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

I think the only way to stop that trend is to seriously boycott companies who use these schemes. But since most consumers just let these things pass, it just gets worse and worse.