The presets browser of serum...

Discussion in 'Software' started by jharax8, Mar 26, 2019.

1. jharax8

jharax8 Noisemaker

Hi,

I have a issue with Xfer Serum which is starting to be really boring.

I have a lot of presets of serum ( around 20K ) and everytime when I add new presets ( even few ) to my presets folder the VST load all the presets from the beginning so it's pretty long and it's crash most of the time ( I need to delete the database file manually and let serum rescan all the presets )

Anybody know how fix this problem ? The browser of NI massive is better :/

Thanks

3. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

Man I feel you, I have the same problem. I saw someone wrote in the Serum forum this and Steeve said at the moment there's no fix, however there could be one in the future.
    What i don't understand is why each time a new preset is found instead of just adding it to the database it rebuilds all of it... makes no sense

Atm i don't know what to do to avoid this, i tried to make the database file read-only and it speeds up the scan significantly, but it doesn't let you add new presets.

I agree the Serum browser needs to be improved, but i don't know if it will happen any time soon...

4. teach me plz

teach me plz Banned

Im also dealing with issues, everytime serum starts i have to authorize again, honestly this is fucktrash, if anyone has a solution id be super grateful. Its my go-to synthesizer

5. jharax8

jharax8 Noisemaker

I really dont understand, Xfer Serum is use by so many producers... why they don't create a presets browser like ni massive or the u-he plugins instead of this shit....

6. Valorouswon

Valorouswon Noisemaker

when you add 3rd party presets you have to make sure to move some presets into the "noises" folder, and sometimes theres other folders. There's nothing wrong with Serum, I had the same issue when I started, now it runs perfect. I bet your 3rd party presets is the reason.

7. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

I agree, plenty of 3rd party presets here, no issues at all.

8. snattlerake

snattlerake Newbie

I'm guessing most producers actually using Serum to make music don't have a need to keep tens of thousands of presets for it‽

Also, you don't need to say "they", you can just say "he", apart from some SDK's and libraries, Steve Duda is the sole developer behind Serum. He's also usually pretty responsive on the official forums, so if you're actually looking for a fix for this, that would be the place to post.

9. teach me plz

teach me plz Banned

Can please someone help me i cant properly authorize serum, after i autheorized everytime i start it up it asks again for authorization

10. jharax8

jharax8 Noisemaker

I use only serum everyday for all my projects and I love have a huge collection of sounds ( design by me or buy from a pack ) so yeah it's can look like ridiculous but the number is justified by my daily use of serum for years. For Steve Duda, nevermind, I didnt know it's was the only developper.

11. jharax8

jharax8 Noisemaker

Here the structure of my serum presets with a zoom on the noises / presets folder : http://www.noelshack.com/2019-13-4-1553769769-structure.png

I don't understand the " move some presets into the noises folder ", should I move some folders inside the presets folder to the noises folder ? But the noises folder is only for the noises of serum no ?

12. teach me plz

teach me plz Banned

Can please someone help me i cant properly authorize serum, after i autheorized everytime i start it up it asks again for authorization

13. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

maybe it is time to clean up presets before adding new ?

You already listend to all 20000 ? :dunno:

The latest version now have a delete preset function :)

14. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

To all those saying he has too much presets: the thing is that Serum does create a file to store all the presets data, but each time it detects a new preset it ENTIRELY REBUILDS the file, preset by preset, instead of just adding it to the database like logic would suggest.

Imagine working with serum everyday, making presets every hour: the scan never stops and your disk is constantly slowed down by the process. Not to mention that each time you have to wait the end of the scan to have all the presets listed in the browser.

15. Neck

Neck Member

Try this serial number:
    SNFF-DOFG-FKPS-MBDI-WJRH

Good Luck!!

16. jharax8

jharax8 Noisemaker

:thanks:

I would also add that the VST crash when the number of presets is too important which makes the use of serum very frustrating

17. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Agreed. Years later this is still a big issue.

It takes forever, even with a fast solid state drive. It should only rebuild from scratch under limited circumstances, if presets have just been added it should be easy to append them to the existing database based on the file modified/created date.

I have over twice as many Omnisphere presets, and neither it or any other synth I'm aware of have this problem.

Loading presets can also quite be slow. It's also unclear whether renaming a folder from PRESETBRO_PRESENTS_SUPER_ATMOSPHERIC_LOFI_PRESETS_FOR_XFER_SERUM to something sensible can cause issues finding the tables and noises. A packaged bank file similer to .omnisphere that places everything in the proper folders automatically would be better IMO.

18. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

the moment it crashes, open the database file with notepad, scroll to the last thing written on it, it will tell you, you have incompatible fxp file that can either be Sylenth preset or standard VST3 preset that share the same fxp extension. The last line on the database file will tell the exact file that caused the crash. Remove it from Serum preset folder. Serum is known to crash while scanning if those file presents.

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

when mine rescans after adding new presets, it is still very fast. it takes only a few seconds. i have never had a problem renaming presets. you are more likely to have problems if you change the name of the folder containing the new wavetables and noises.

I would like some option where selecting a preset in the browser and then loading it returned directly to the synth interface; instead of having to x out the browser. maybe someone likes it that way but i hate it. And loading presets from the r/l arrows on the interface is also a bit slow, maybe 2 seconds. it could be faster but it has to lookup the tables and noises so it is understandable. but it is slow.

20. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I have 70k preset all sorted and renamed and it took 1 hour to scan everytime I added new preset. I just let Serum open on other DAW without audio settings, just let the GUI open on that DAW and let it scan and create the dabatase while using other DAW to work. In example, if I work in S1, I just open Serum GUI on Reaper without any audio interface tied to it, and work normally on S1. After it finishes scanning, the preset loading only need 1 sec and keyword searching through the whole 70k only need 1-2 seconds. Everything is good, it will only be problematic if I work with serum without finishing the scanning 1st. While it is scanning in other DAW, Serum works fine in the project im working on, as long as it stay minimized and I don't open the GUI. Already get used to that for almost 2 years now.

21. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I find loading presets with the arrow, or Reaper's preset menu can be frustratingly slow which is partly why I don't use Serum much even though it's a great synth.

This is a good idea. I always have an instance of Bluecat's Patchwork loaded in EqualizerAPO (for systemwide VSX), so I could just add an instance of Serum, and turn it on to rebuild presets in the background as needed. I just need to remember to do it when I add new presets, rather than when I'm trying to use Serum in a project.