The perfect mastering chain for techno ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by trz303, Feb 27, 2024.

1. trz303

trz303 Producer

Thanks for all inputs, very usefull !

Any tought on webservices for mastering such as Landr, eMastered, MajorDecibel or Bandlab ??
    (other than "avoid it" ;-)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  2. Sapriisty

Sapriisty Kapellmeister

For me, these are tools for people who don't know much about music or who just need to create quick consumables, far from being artistic but more producing to achieve things quickly, I wouldn't recommend this kind of tools and service.

I find that they always tend to exaggerate the compression, the loudness, and the spatialization in general to the detriment of the musicality of a work or a piece, I have heard perfect mix go through this kind of service to become deafening and dissonant masters, and drinkable mixes to become sound upgrades we cannot call it mastering from my point of view, after that it only concerns me but I have really hard when an algorithm touches an activity that the ears and sensitivity or patience of a human will bring you with regard to the speed of service and or execution

3. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Multiband compressor is mandatory for electronic music, given his nature (more than 3dB slope, around 4.5) due to BASS content.

If you don't know were to start, try good free plugins like OTT freeware first, followed by LoudMax.
    Simple and free.
    Limiter №6 by Vladislav Goncharov after OTT is nice too.
    It contains separate sections, unlike LoudMax witch is a "simple" brickwall limiter.

https://xferrecords.com/freeware
    https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/07/24/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-limiter-vstau-plugins/

And post the result here :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Haze

Haze Producer

I would say that the issues aren't a result of Scarlett interaces. The key word here is "amateur". It wouldn't matter in the slightest if the interfaces were Apogee, Lynx, whatever, the recordings wouldn't be noticeably better.

I think you're placing too much significance on the interface rather than the user. Nearly all budget pres these days are of a sufficiently high enough standard to produce good sounding recordings. The Scarlett is no exception, excellent in some areas (frequency response), average in others (Pres/DAC) and weaker in others (THD/headphone output). The weaknesses are however so small that they almost fall out of the audible range and are more relevant to analysis software than human hearing. The shortcomings pail into total insignificance when adding acoustics (headphones included), monitoring, mic/instrument quality, recording/mix decisions and of course, performance into the equation.

Would I CHOOSE to use a Scarlett interface to make a pro record?

Unlikely.

COULD I make a pro record with a Scarlett?

Damn right I could.

5. genophyte

genophyte Producer

i got $250.00 , what rme can i get:rofl:

6. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

today's music is so shit they don't deserve good sound. just put a boss metal zone cranked on the master and callitaday

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

The best part is they call it pristine quality.