The onslaught of worthless plugins

Discussion in 'Software' started by saccamano, Aug 15, 2023.

1. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

So here we have this...
    Capture.JPG
    A worthless plugin comp fittingly called "lolcomp". This is actually a thing being marketed by this company https://mixingnightaudio.com/lolcomp/ as a "legitimate pro plugin"... it would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetic...

Is this what we have to look forward to? Why should these low hanging fruits be of interest to the witches? Surely they have much more useful and functional fish to fry? This week we have bundles from wavearts, PSP, Pulsar, a few from Audified, Slate, pretty much all of which when employed in a blindfold test could hardly be distinguished from one another. It almost seems as though these dev's have created a few crowd pleasing algorithms and simply passed them around so every other dev on the block can attempt to jump on the gravy train - for as long as it lasts. Personally for the past few years I have stopped even caring about this new junk flooding the market. Maybe, if a message is sent by more peeps simply ignoring this new junk and sticking with a very trimmed and optimized set of quality select plugins things might actually change for the better. These kinds of pocketbook and overall bottom line affecting messages are usually more attention grabbing than any other kind for most dev's. Who knows, this might be what encourages dev's to actually innovate instead of regurgitating the same old tired algo's update after update, and release after release.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Xiuno

Xiuno Noisemaker

I was subbed on Youtube to the guy who made this, imagine being in your right mind and creating that UI. Cannot Imagine working with an artist and pulling that horrendous thing out. Haa haa haa!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I think there are two seperate and unrelated issues here.

Why do developers produce these seemingly worthless plug-ins?
    Why do crackers release them?

I'm guessing the answer to both questions is the same. Devs create them because they're quick and easy to produce.
    Crackers release them because they don't take any effort to crack.

I don't think any team is devoting months and months of work trying to break the copy protection on these pieces of junk. If you can do it in five minutes, why wouldn't you release it? I don't download the the umpteenth soundalike EQ or compressor myself, but if people want to do that and compare them, good luck to them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

I can see doing that UI as a joke- super high "hey wouldn't it be funny if LOL GET IT lmaooooooo" but THE real joke was the price tag and then thinking any serious person would be into that. what an embarrassing misstep. could be the best compressor in the world.... jokes on them!

maybe it's a producers type scam, they want it do bad?

6. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

i get why you are angry there are so many good plugins R2R could bring us yet they release these horrible plugins but it's their choice to release what they want hopefully they bring the goods soon i trust them so much i have no words to express the gratitude i have for their work im sure they will bring something amazing soon ;) just keep waiting

7. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

I don't know two craps about programming, but having trolled VCV Rack forums for a while, I know there are many DSP codes publicly available, so even with a couple of years of experience a programmer can throw together a basic compressor, delay, reverb etc.

In fact I strongly believe 90% of the plugin market works exactly that way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. SyphonX

SyphonX Kapellmeister

My advice: if you don't like it don't buy and/or use it. Second, don't take all things too seriously. Life is serious enough already. :yes:

9. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

Close, the answer to both questions is *almost* the same, and it is:

Because users are stupid and will Pay-for/Download them

10. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Ah, error on my end, ignore

11. Alchemy

Alchemy Kapellmeister

At least it was cheap. LOL

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Installing LOLCOMP now thx to this thread.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Yep yep. roger that.

Also, just for the record;

No witches were harmed in the making/posting of this thread.

14. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

not worthless to me. I know GUI matters, but that stops at "want to use/buy" "don't want to use/buy" and got nothing to do with one plugin capability to do what it's advertised just because one think himself as one serious professional producer. A good serious professional producer IMO will atleast test and fairly judge them first or simply ignore it if it doesn't feel right and move on. Strange being that pro and still want to "look" pro in front of client, sounds more like being insecure for no reason there.

It's just weird to bash others creation especially when it's properly engineered, good sounding just because their choice of aesthetic and sense of humor didn't align with your taste. Crackers too ? oh come on. that's just overdoing it. $199 is expensive we will forever think it's a bad plugin without the crackers letting it available for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Not this one though.

Well, it was requested.

Also, not to doubt MOCHA, but he/she/apache helicopter doesn't seem to be the kind to go after overprotected stuff like UAD and such, so what else is there to crack but these crappy, cancer inducing cringefest plugins?

As for the plugin itslef, it's ment to emulate specific processing chains, so it's usefulness will depend a lot on how that fits in your workflow. I'll still make fun of the GUI because daaaaaaaaaamn.

16. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Well, c'mon now... You're in this game along with the rest of us, you know the score - how many major dev's who have seen some success with product releases in the past, say, 10+ years who are still around putting out new releases/updates have significantly CHANGED or RE-ENGINEERED the product to the advantage of the end user?? Remember, UI changes do NOT count.

====READ THIS & UNDERSTAND ===============
    NO disrespect is going out to ANY witches here!!!
    ==========================================
    Just wondering about what the thinking process was behind some of the release choices of late.

17. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

I have no issue using one trick pony plugins, if the trick is good... The God Particle lives on my stereo buss... or silly looking plugins, like Endless Smile... but this... just rubs me the wrong way.

At least Dada Life guys priced their few tricks silly pony reasonably and I'm still debating about that divine cashing cow multi band compressor preset, probably would wait for some sale to get it 50% off, dunno, it's on everything I did last 8 months.

Dada Life can get away with silly, because of low price and whole their silly appearance, actual animations on plugins make me laugh, Jaycen preset can barely pull it off, but it's at least serious attempt with bunch of nonsense marketing.

This thing doesn't look funny to me and price is just ridiculous, they did both Dada and Jaycen thing and than turn it to 11, like silly looking few tricks pony and famous mixing engineer in one, but silly isn't funny and famous mixing engineer is someone I never even heard of. To me it just look like someone is taking a huge dump on me and I'm not laughing at myself.

It's like that Dotec stuff from few years ago, plain plugin, high price, unknown celebrity endorsement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Yup. That's what most people don't want to hear though. Virtually everyone uses the same copy pasted code to build off of, notable exceptions: bx, iZotope, u-he, Voxengo.

EDIT: And Native Instruments & Cytomic.

19. D____R

D____R Kapellmeister

Feel like I haven't checked out anything R2R have released for months. It's all very, very samey or old. By this point, though, I'm only really interested in weird/unusual and unique effects or instruments and those are quite few and far between, to be fair. If the next big must-have compressor comes along, I'll try it, of course, but something tells me that will not be "lolcomp". Waste of everyone's time.

20. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

Is MOCHA a witch?? Not sure but this wasn't an R2R release, as far as I know, it was MOCHA who gave people the opportunity to try this piece of software... for free! I've not tried it myself but rather than get hung up about the GUI I would be more concerned as to if it actually does the job and sounds good. Apparently, someone from Brainworx did the DSP for LOLCOMP!! It's a strange world sometimes.:unsure:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

There are quite a bit more exceptions imo :) But yeah they're still exceptions.