The next AA venture will be....Cobalt

Discussion in 'Software' started by Talmi, May 12, 2017.

1. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Man oh man we live interesting, nay..., fascinating days.
    Next Acustica plug will be a dynamic EQ. Yes you have read that right !
    Not only does CoreX allows for better performances but apparently it also allows for this new beast, dynamic equing is now reachable with the latest Core upgrade. Apparently it can even be used as a....de-esser !
    The name will be Cobalt, and the way I understand it it should come out around end of May.
    I wonder what Slate will respond to that one...It's gonna start to be tough to compete, even if he does the shout out himself....:)
    Here is a preview video.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Wow, truly impressive. Thanks, @Talmi for the post!
    I really wish AA would do a classic compressor bundle. 1176, LA-2A, LA-3A, DBX-160, etc. Load one plugin, and have four (or more!) option buttons to get to your weapon of choice. I would jump on that in an instant!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

AA is the way of the Future and for me the now \m/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Right on brother! and im still waitin on a Tube Tech bundle from them too \m/ >>> like you said 1176, LA-2A, LA-3A, DBX-160>>> and any of or all of these an show softube how they really sound in a plugin hahahahha \m/ and altho i do like softube plugins they sound nothing like the Real Deal \m/ Workshop Powerplay Studio.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

This gives me a hard one ! \m/ lol

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Wtf is going on here, why am i so late to the party.
    Looks mighty good, thanks for the great post @Talmi :wink:

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Cubase channel strip is based on AA technology, lol....imagine if Steinberg collaborated with them for version 10 :cool:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. timer

timer Producer

I have to admit I don't get the hype this time.

What's so special about a dynamic EQ? It's just one type of multiband compression.
    AA themselves did their "Titanium" multiband before.
    Don't get me wrong: I like AA for their unique color, having bought some of their Nebula and Acqua stuff.
    I even like the enthusiasm of their company and users every time they provide something new.
    But I don't like the idea of AA turning into a cult one day. They have deserved better.

To me dynamic EQ is a tool to solve problems with, a perfect application for a algorithmic approach.
    I don't want my deesser to sound like analog hardware, I want it to work, preferably with a neutral algo filter better than any hardware can provide. It's just a tool to me.
    Emulating analog dynamic EQ feels a bit like emulating an analog stompbox for reverb.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Never to late my friend haha its friday time for a Beer or 12 lol :cheers: it would be somthin for the books to have this option ina DAW channel strip >>> Cubase would be fine by me \m/ Hell yeah

11. timer

timer Producer

OT: We all know that NI bought some of Softubes expertise. Rumors were, that the Cubase generic EQ and dyn section were also developed by Softube. Can anyone confirm?
    While I do like the idea of having AA technique integrated into Cubase, I doubt that Yamaha will take advantage of that trend.

12. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

The dynamic eq is just a part of the unit. There is also a compressor, and of course reg eqs. Pink 7236 is also multiband, I love both Pink and Titanium, but they are not dynamic eqs.I hear you though, I don't share your reservation a priori, since I've not been disapointed by AA so far.
    I think it's a bit being unambitious to think that because now AA is excellent at recreating hardware it can only do that. Ultimately it can do that and it shall do more. To me that's also what the devellopement of the tech is about now. If Cobalt brings us closer to that, I'll be glad and it looks this way. Dynamic eqs are tools, correcting tools, like eqs and compressors can be, I don't really see why it should be only in the algo realm ? There are many hardware de-essers, they work great.
    I don't get the cult reference, truelly. I'm on the side of inovation, I didn't use AA 4 months ago, and to me it is a small revolution.
    I think this one, and the reverb to come, will be game changer.

13. haha

haha Ultrasonic

Somethingțs wrong with the demo. I mean, such a complicated processor to make a stereo mix sound mono? :no:

14. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Sorry brother but Dynamic EQ and multiband are completely different techniques>>>Multiband compression uses crossover filters to split the signal into multiple bands which are individually compressed and introduces phase problems...Dynamic EQ's use a compressor to modulate the gain of an EQ filter and you get alot less phase problems with this and im Def a big fan of any kind of hardware EQ over the best Algo ever... \m/ i own enough to make this call My GML 8200 hardware is crystal clean and with less phase problems then any ITB EQ you will ever use... ;)

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@WillTheWeirdo and @Jaymz really pushed me into checking AA out when i was doing a review on Slate plugins.
    Was a bit embarrassing but also an eye opener. :bow:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  16. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

17. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Dynamic Eq is a great way to process individual tracks not just surgery to a full mix >>> especially live recordings of drums, guitars, bass, synths or anything other than sampled instruments... and even good for them aswell>>> i almost always use one on the low end of a full drums mix >>> Heavy low end guitars chunkin away and palm mutes ;) >>> its way easier than dealing with Multiband comps phase problems and even if they use Linear filters you get delays>>> or the time consuming automation of a standard Eq ;) Im sure this new Model from Acustica Audio will be a treat to use in any mix \m/

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Aha, I remember that thread ! It was also the moment when Acustica caught my attention. :rofl:. And also the posts that came after on AS regarding Nebula. The pink CM available on the sister site did the rest. Which is also why I talk about AA often (not the only tools I regard with respect, any thing I find usefull and relevant I try to share), I learned here about details of the techs, its downsides but also what makes it stand out, I'm very gratefull for that because for me also was kind of an eye opener, I don't want to force anyone, we all have our needs and requirements for tools, but if I can get anyone to the place I was when I discovered those, I'll be happy.

19. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

20. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Brother wen i came from hardware and consoles into the screen of a Mac befor i switched to PC i still was using hardware to process as much as possible...>>> ill make this short lol a friend told me about a new company making Plugs that sounded like hardware and like most i thought it was a joke untill i really gave it a go and dove into nebula>>> Then i Too seen the light that it was and is very much the closest thing to hardware in plugin form... yes i still use some Algo but now that im 90% ITB these days AA was a life saver for me man ... If i would have never used hardware maybe i wouldn't feel any different than the ones who just dont believe in what Acustica Audio has to offer.. But i came from using only hardware to process to Algo and its not the same period >>> Acustica Audio is giving us tools i used to think wasn't possible ITB >>> \m/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I was about to reply to this but @Jaymz beat me to it.
    And this one too
    http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_dyneq_v2