The Most Stable Windows 10 Iteration for Audio

Discussion in 'Software' started by mercurysoto, Jun 1, 2018.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    First off, thank you for reading this. Regrettably, I’m a noobie in Windows OS. I just got a second-hand laptop to complement my Mac setup. I constantly read that Windows 10 updates fuck up plug-in and DAW performance and I wonder if there’s any way to upgrade to Win 10 from 7 making sure things will run the smoothest possible way.

Any input is appreciated,

Peace

EDIT:

It’s a Lenovo G40-70 laptop with 4th gen Core i3 processor, maxed out with 8 Gb of RAM.

3. Cackwizard

Cackwizard Ultrasonic

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

you could easily not have any problems with the updates.
    the more complex setup like in a stationary with a mixed bag of vsts, drivers to god knows what, then the more expected problems.

5. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

hiya. if you don't mind the OS spying on you than go ahead and update. i trust my win8.1 box for years now. but yeah it shouldnt give u any troubles. questions is, are you running anything "unofficial" ? cause those can temporarily f*ck up the system, but there r always solutions like win-fix tools for corrupted system files. let us know if u run into any troubles alright ?

6. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Guest

For just using the laptop for music - Windows 10 ltsb pre authorised version, turn off defender, turn off firewall, tweak settings for audio, block internet.
    100% stable and completely effective. :yes:

7. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Thank you all for your input. This laptop comes with 8.1 pre-installed and I downgraded it to 7 because that's the system I last used and knew. Should I just go for 8.1 and stay there?

8. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Windows 10. If you're a noobie to Windows OS, then just start learning Windows 10. A pre-installed OS (that comes with the laptop, etc..) is full of bloatware and settings that slow the PC down. Install a fresh image of windows and tweak your settings after it's installed.

My vote : Win 10 - that way, you will be up with the times and have better support in forums when you have questions.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Yeah unfortanetly Windows is nowadays copying OSX that means every update is gonna fuck up plugins that was not the case before they wanted to mimic OSX as they also nowadays is spying on every bloody thing you do when you work exactly like OSX.
    OSX has been spying on everything you do for ages atleast all the way back to OSX 10.7 maybe even older than that.
    And thats why i gonna stay on Win7 as long as i possible can

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Install this after Win10 (every version that members suggested) so it will exactly look like Win7, then you can easily accustom yourself to Win10 with its new features:

http://startisback.com/ It's so stable.

If you were interested, tell me to pm you the patched version.:wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. DJK

DJK Rock Star

if you clean install win 10 then its fine, i upgraded from 7 to 10 and ran into issues after april 1803 update, booted up with blank screens, so i clean installed win 10 and installed just what i need to make music plugins ect, system runs faster than 7 in every way

13. DieM

DieM Rock Star

I downloaded this version of Win10 a while back - "Windows 10 X64 Enterprise 2016 LTSB en-US July 2017 {Gen2}" - from a torrent sight. I can't actually remember which torrent sight. It is a stripped back version with lots of things turned off like Telemetry, update etc.
    I also recommend downloading "http://startisback.com/" as foster911 recommended If you prefer the Windows 7 look.
    I've had no problems with this version and it's really fast. If you can't find it then let me know an easy way that I can upload it to you as I'm not well versed in this area.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  14. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Thank you all for your support. I traded this computer for an old Epi SG guitar. Unfortunately, it’s been left to dust and die in humid conditions. The good thing is that with proper ($$$) maintenance it can get back on its feet again. The trackpad is dead, so mouse it is. It seems the concenssus is go up to Win 10. It’ll try a fresh install and see how it goes. The good thing about Windows installs is that it’s fairly easy way to do.

Thank you a lot, my friend. It’s a big offer from you. :mates:
    Thank you a lot. I’ll look up for your version of Windows 10. I suspect this is the kind of install I had in mind when I thought of an upgrade: A Windows without the shit under the hood.

Much appreciated, you all.

As always, peace.

15. DieM

DieM Rock Star

Yeah exactly. It is definitely lighter.