The Most Popular MIDI Controller in 2015! (AskAudio)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dadarkman, Jan 19, 2016.

1. dadarkman

dadarkman Producer

This is one of those rare survey where we get to have a glimpse on some unknown data of what most producers, musicians, DJs and remixers are using in terms of hardware controllers; Somewhat, this poll also reveal a bit of numbers on what DAW certain users are using depending on the hardware they have.
    As usual, like most surveys, this AskAudio survey (which took place last September) is not covering 100% of the music production territory of music gear in usage. However, judging from the fact that it was based from responses from almost 25,000 musicians and producers, it does hold some weight and consideration in terms of proving which company has an upper hand in sales and overall use of their gears.
    So, the results were published in December 24th of 2015.

The following content was copied from AskAudio.com
    Before we dive into the results, first let’s check out some interesting “facts” from the survey…

• 25% of Focusrite audio interface owners use Ableton Live, while just 15% use Logic Pro X.
    • Nearly 40% of Apogee owners use Logic Pro X as their primary DAW.
    • Over one quarter of Universal Audio interface owners use Pro Tools as their primary DAW,
    • 33% of Steinberg audio interface users prefer using Cubase.
    • Only 10% of Focusrite interface owners consider themselves primarily as singer/songwriters, while 27% consider themselves producers.
    • 14.5% of M-Audio interface owners use FL Studio, and marginally more use Ableton Live at 16.5%.
    [​IMG]
    Yup, M-AUDIO was the most popular brand in 2015

[Click on image to see bigger version]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. spiggy

spiggy Ultrasonic

I've had 2 M-Audio sound cards, 2 keyboard midi controllers, and a couple other little pieces from them other the years. If someone is going to spend a lot of money they want to do it on the sound, the synths, the pallets they're playing. When it comes to a midi controller, most folks just want something cheap and reliable. I think M-Audio has done a good job of filling that gap. Music equipment doesn't have to cost tons of money, especially when (in the case of midi controllers) they don't make any sound. Cheap, decent features, pretty reliable.

4. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

idk After testing a few keyboards out I couldn't go the M-Audio route.
    To me they feel cheap .. couldn't do it. There Is a difference when playing.

Looking at this survey I guess the price drives the market

I spent a few dollars more and got The Akai MPK249 with the awesome pads. NO REGRETS

5. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

not surprising because of how cheap m-audio stuff is.
    my first keyboard was an oxygen.

but their stuff is also cheaply made and breaks a lot.
    (i've had 2 m-audio products in my lifetime both broke)

6. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Thomann.de

[​IMG]

7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Everything M-Audio I have had has been complete garbage.

8. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

its a company that do not care about updates and I have or had more than 10 m-audio units.
    Monitors and keyboards are reasonable, but interfaces are a pain in the ass.
    I was a a support guy from them and most problems do not have solution. Updates and fixes are mostly done buy users...
    The support is a joke...

9. dadarkman

dadarkman Producer

Posting a Thomann.de January Sale in the thread is irrelevant. And, possibly you didn't understand the whole point of the survey? Yes, Push 2 is their most sold unit in January but I could go to each online store and find a different top seller. At Sweetwater this January it is currently the Akai Professional MPK Mini Mk II. At UniqueSquared it is the Akai Professional APC40 mkII. Amazon, Zzsounds, BestBuy and so on... each will have a top seller for the month. That is totally different from a survey asking nearly 25,000 people whom shopped from different stores and different countries/continents what have been the gear that they used the most; NOT what gear they bought the most in a month.
    The survey is ONLY taking into account the brand, not a specific controller from the brand. When people responded that they use Novation, the specific gear or midi model from Novation was not taken into account; simply the brand name only.

Keyword here is USAGE! I, like many others who took the survey had to check more than one choices since most of us use more than one controller. However, we had to specify which was the most used. Also, the controller chosen as the most use doesn't necessarily mean that it was bought in 2015, it only had to be USED the most. My M-Audio Axiom 61 was bought in 2012 and it is still the most used till today (That is the case for many other people who answered the survey, their gear was not specifically bought in 2015). So, the survey relevance was NOT monthly sale. Rather, it was a survey regarding year-long/long-term USAGE.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016