The most expensive Sample Libraries

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by nyreiter, Jun 15, 2012.

1. ebaby8119

ebaby8119 Newbie

i don't think any "sample cd" will make you into a star it is based on you knowledge of how to manipulate these sounds imo yes you can buy great kontakt libraries all you want but what good are they if you have no idea where to truly start. i have seen others and myself take crappy sounds and make them great sounds with tweaking and effects i think its all on the user..... *yes*

2. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

That moment you realise Analog Gear Outbord is just a TS cable going from output to input of a middle sound interface.
    Sometime it's enough to give it the grit.

3. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

I'm pretty sure... he is trolling.

I really doubt a top of the line studio/producer would waste their money on samples... Studios spend over 10k on speakers. $200 for a top of the line studio.. its nothing.

Now.. if you have a studio with multiple synths/piano/hardware/analog/software/mics/speakers/mixer.. why would anyone buy samples :dunno: :dunno:

Pretty sure.. he is trolling anyways. *yes*

4. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Trolling apart, I would not be so sure. Samples are still used even in the most expensive studios.

5. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

It's just faster. Big studios are on tight schedules most of the time.

6. Hot Penguin

Hot Penguin Newbie

I could literally make kicks that sound more fat than your local hooker from McDonalds with an empty beer bottle and a decent mic. What I'm trying to say, safe your money buy beer and try processing some samples, you'll be amazed with the results you get.

7. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

I still have some 3 1/4" floppy disks with samples and sounds...You can buy them for lets say 100 Euro each! Isnt that a deal?

8. Synthetech

Synthetech Newbie

I have an 3 month old forum thread I will sell for 175€.

Its chock full of top notch trolling, bitching whining and more ego than you can shake your pecker at. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Sofia 19

Sofia 19 Member

i think the most expensive library is a full blown orchestra to finally realize your musical piece,

no berlin strings or miroslav philarmonik or 8dio woodwinds will be able to ever convey what you had in mind

then again sometimes i get angry with guitar pickers who drop on "What is the best guitar VST available" posts just to post their "hire a real guitarist" sarcasm and irony. hmm i dont suppose that hired guitarist would be willing to play the piece i ask of him at any time i want and need and without a paycheck now would he ?

10. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I usually grab big orchestral libraries (crucial for film scoring), or a decent (acoustic) drum kit, bass or guitar library -- something I wouldn't be able to do on my own or is formatted in a way that allows me to accomplish certain things it's not easy to do (doubled rhythm guitars, for example). I have a couple of loop libraries, just in case I have to do music in that style, but the loops and arps thing is kind of depressing. For starters, there's too many "one-finger musicians" out there that have already used each and every one of those loop libraries to death. Secondly, it takes a lot away from you composing your own songs. You're basically building a song around somebody else's work, which I realize is actually what a lot of people are doing anymore. I'd rather play my own tracks, even if I have to play an electric guitar rhythm track from a keyboard. Otherwise, what's the point?

11. genophyte

genophyte Producer

vocal planet back when i had no clue wtf i was doing with cdxtract , i turned it into a massive sf2 soundfont bank.

i still do this with most akai and giga because there are so many sf2 players out there that can do extremely intricate things and are light on cpu

12. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Can't Kontakt run Akai and GIGA format without converting anything? I know SampleTank 2 (and possibly 3) could do it, and MOTU's MachFive was able to do it, too. I only ever had one Akai sample CD (the ol' Quantum Leap Guitars & Basses collection) and wound up converting it for convenience, but SampleTank 2 read it like a champ.

13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

The issue with Kontakt is that it cannot open any CD images, you have to mount the image as a raw drive first.
    This is quite easy on Windows using various freeware utils, but on Mac I have yet to find a utility that allows for mounting a CD image with a file system that is not recognized by MacOS. Even the commandline "mount" utility fails if it cannot find any of the supported fs.

14. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Welcome back 2012 :thumbsup:

15. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

You could use bootcamp with proper windows software and kontakt to convert them to .nki

16. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Easy, just get the final version of SampleTank 2 (SampleTank 3 may also be able to do it, and you can get the no-frills version on IK's site for free), which is what I have on my Mac. Macs can't mount Akai discs on their desktops, but if you put in the CD and open ST2 (or 3), it will be able to see it just fine. MachFive and UVI on the Mac can also do it. I know MachFive can open GIGA content, but again, it's a deal where you put in the disc, it doesn't show up on your desktop, but MachFive can see it and open it.

17. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

That's same way SampleTank (and probably MachFve and UVI) operates! I thought (full) Kontakt could read multiple non-NI formats -- never tried it, but I always assumed it could.

18. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Thanks for the tipp, ST2 is no option because it's a one-way street. It might be able to play AKAI libs but once converted, you cannot convert ST2 to anything else, not even Kontakt.
    IK Multimedia always did everything to stop any developer from building an ST2-to-other-format converter, which made me never even consider using it.

19. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

ST3 might be different, I dunno. UVI and MachFive (did that one ever even get k'd?) may work better ... but as detailed above, you might just be able to use Kontakt.

20. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest