The most authentic sounding original 80's song I've heard made with only software

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by real, Feb 8, 2023.

1. real

real Kapellmeister

Seriously. I don't think I've seen anybody get a computer to sound this authentically 80's without hardware help.

Most old school music emulations sound like emulations. They tick the boxes, but they fall short somehow. But this is different imo.

I'm sure Wave Alchemy paid him well for this demonstration of their RMX16 emulation. And sure, I want that reverb now, if only just to copy his techniques and make some authentic 80's music myself.

Does anybody have any other examples of authentic old school sounding original music made with just a computer, no analog hardware?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

It sounds good minus that modern punch that you won't find in the music of the 80s.

4. MaximalMinimal

MaximalMinimal Ultrasonic

Was an instabuy but I still prefer Nomad Factory 80s.

5. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I listen to 80s music everyday. It sounds like what it is to me, if 80s music was made today. A modern take on 80s.

Here's some different variations of the idea: The Midnight, Gunship, Kristine, Le Cassette, NINA, Jessie Frye, Mitch Murder, Night Vision, Dana Jean Phoenix, Glitbiter, Now for something totally different Dead When I found Her. (really cool dude btw, I learned a lot from him)

I can't speak to what they used (except DWIFH, it's mostly all ITB) but it doesn't really matter. It's been possible ITB for a long time now, it's just getting easier with today's tools. It just depends on how authentic you want it to sound. That sound in the video is not authentic, but I like the sound anyways.

6. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

It sounds what nowadays we would like an '80s music to sound: less flat, more vibe with true stereo reverb.
    Back in that time I didn't find those sounds flat. Perhaps because radio broadcast and tape have given enough harmonic distortion and noise, so there used to be an add-on function by your brain to "paint" more imaginary detail to the sound.
    But later, I remember the disappointment when was finally able to listen to my favorite songs on CD. And nowadays we use Spotify with its shitty low bitrate, worse than CD. Dare you Spotify! Having been promising Hifi version for years. But this is off-topic...

• List
  7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Oh, I have one, yeah. But I don't have a copy, I'll have to find it. I did the drums with true gated reverb, not AMS, but there's digital reverb on everything else. And every. Single. Cliché. Fairlight sound we could cram in it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    • List
  8. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Yeah, here it is... a little different genre-wise. It was written by the girl singing; left fully to my own devices I would have done a few things differently but I certainly think it's authentically 80s!

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. real

real Kapellmeister

You were right...Every single cliché. You even did a "Thriller" deep monster voice in the beginning. Nice!

What is that synth saxaphone sound? Honestly I'd like to know how you made the whole thing, which vst's and such. I'm guessing Arturia had much to do with it, or U-he.

10. real

real Kapellmeister

Just so you know the audio file isn't embedded. I had to download it in order to listen.

11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Hey thanks! I don't remember it all... the sax was SWAM, Fairlight was Arturia... the DX7 bass might have been Arturia. I think the analog bass was Repro-1. Acoustic gated drums were Superior, electronic drums were...??? Guitar was real, except I think the muted tic toc guitar was Shreddage. That's all I remember...

12. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Oh, sorry. Guess that's from being a Google Drive link. Maybe I can re up it on some temp streaming site...

13. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

^The embedded file works here.

14. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

Check your adblocker or similar function of your browser.