The mighty Slap Bass sound...

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by blaiavia, Sep 21, 2014.

1. blaiavia

blaiavia Newbie

So one of the biggest issues when it comes to emulating real-life instruments with a computer is the mighty slap bass. There are tons of superb bass libraries, but I still haven't managed to achieve a good, funky slap bass sound.

IMPORTANT: Before starting, I'd like to make things clear:

· I'm a newbie here, so I'm not sure this is the right forum for this thread. If it isn't, please excuse me.

· I don't have a real-life bass, and i'm not planning on buying one. Even though, I have an electrical guitar, if that helps (I don't think it will, though).

· I'm not a native English speaker, so please excuse me for any further mistake.

So here it begins,

Just to put you in perspective (because we maybe have different ideas of how a slap bass sounds like) here are three tunes that have that slap bass sound I've been trying to achieve. They're not exactly the same sound, but sound kinda alike:

Visual Dreams (Robotaki Remix)
    You can hear two or three bass hits (background sound so listen carefully) at 0:35 - 0:36. I'm starting to think that this concrete sound can be achieved with just a regular synth.

Cigarette Song (Snakehips Remix)
    The slap bass sound starts at 2:03 and goes on for like 15 seconds. It's an octave above the usual slap bass sound but it's still funky as hell.

StewRat - Empty
    The bass sound starts at 0:00 and lasts until 0:27, and starts over later. You can clearly hear that one. And as a comment says, holy shit that bass is loud! And sounds great.

Yeah, I love Majestic Casual...

So my request here is if any of you guys could recommend me tips on how to make this specific kind of bass, for example:

· How to EQ a slap bass

· How to compress a slap bass

· Effects / plugins that make a slap bass sound nice

· Best slap bass libraries you've ever come across

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Cheers :grooves: ,

blaiavia

3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

You might want to look at Spectrasonics Trilian.

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Cherry Electric Bass, Scarbee Red Bass. And Trilian of course.
    There might be other good ones for sure, but these are the ones I do remember for their quality and playability.
    They already sound like processed, fx not really required, except Eq maybe to make it fit your track.