The Mighty CS-80

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Gyro Gearloose, Aug 9, 2020.

1. SpyFx ✪

SpyFx ✪ Guest

^ i got the Yamaha Rmx1 back then because i sold to a good friend my Roland mc-303 :bow:
    I've replaced the mc-303 also with the Roland jx-305 (pretty much same sounds like the mc-303 but more suited to a keyboard player).
    The Rmx1 was a great groovebox & so inspiring back then,i had so much fun :bow:
    i'm still waiting for an Ableton push keyboard controller with a long horizontal touchstrip/ribbon controller above the keys /below the screen
    88 Fatar quality weighted keys :bow: (think of a combination/hybrid between komplete kontrol s88 & ableton push) & * more faders than knobs
    cheers ! :bow:

2. Question to all lovers of the classic analogue polyphonic synths:
    If you could choose one synth would you take the CS-80, Roland Jupiter 8, Oberheim OB-X, Prophet 5, Memorymoog or maybe something quirky and rare, the Korg PS-3300?

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Damn, that's a hard question...
    Seeing as it was an 'or' question, the first 4, please!
    If it wasn't for this!:

4. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Say that again! A good friend had an RM1x and a Yamaha A4000, i remember he used to resample stuff into the A4000 to use its multiple outputs and use the RM1x mainly as a sequencer. That A4000 ended up in my studio as a gift from my friend some years later :).
    The Jupiter 8. Nothing beats those pads to my ears, not even the CS-80 Vangelis' drones. It has this specific timbre quality that is fat but not super fat like a PolyMoog or a Prophet, which made it very easy to sit in a crowdy mix and perhaps that was a reason for its success, imho always.
    Cheers :)

5. Smoove Grooves

Mate, it has to be the CS!
    Regardless of what we have heard it used on, and how it was used, any synth of this calibre with polyphonic after-touch and a ribbon-controller is the ultimate expressive tool.
    Then, in order, it would be the Prophet. My favoured synth for solos. Fat.
    Then, the OB. I love the sound, and because Prince.
    I was once stalked by a woman who wanted my controller after having had it for a while, but I decided she couldn't have it because she was messed up. She was a member of MENSA, 140 or 142. She came to my place of work with heavies! She tried to get into my house at 3am! She wouldn't stop sending threatening texts, so I had to get a new number.
    Went on for months.
    Also, unrelated, fvck what port it's got. Always check compatability with the operating system first!

6. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Smoove Grooves

Interesting. The C15 has NO MIDI! :woot:
    Same model. There is only one.
    I like how we can peel off the labels for the buttons and change them.