The love it or hate it OEKSOUND Soothe thread.

Discussion in 'Software' started by The Pirate, Mar 21, 2020.

?

Are you a Soothe lover or hater

1. I am a Soothe lover

45.3%
  2. I am a Soothe hater

4.2%
  3. Neither a lover nor a hater

50.5%
  1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Neutral. Neither hate it, nor love it. Because I don't have it :D
    BTW... Why all talk about Soothe, and not Spiff?

2. tun

tun Rock Star

exactly. and if you are cutting at 100Hz for example, but there is no frequency to cut, but there is a frequency at 120Hz, you are going to have a bad time summing back even if the amplitude of the 120Hz tone is unchanged.
    i think that was what @peterA was trying to say. using an EQ in this situation gives you the artefacts without any of the benefits. also sometimes cuts when you do not want it to.
    hours of automation and dynamic EQs can do this job, but it seems soothe saves a lot of time in this area.

i cant vouch for it though personally, but the hype is there. not that that says much :rofl:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. tun

tun Rock Star

why talk about spiff and not soothe? :P

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. erminardi

erminardi Kapellmeister

For all those are saying that MSpectralDynamics and smartEQ 2 can do it, I would love to see some videoclip showing how to set the plugins in order to replicare more or less Sothe.
    Neutral here, at the moment.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Believe me, they never tried Soothe.

6. tun

tun Rock Star

from what i read on the home page it does seem to be essentially a spectral dynamic EQ. i have not tried it so am not saying it is not particularly nice sounding, but that is exactly what MSpectralDynamics is.
    i have a lot of experience with MSpectralDynamics, but have not used smartEQ2 or soothe so i personally will not speculate. but i do wonder how many people who say it cant be done have paid 200 euros for soothe.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Soothe is an overhyped overrated supermastering grade tool. So, Spiff is an underhyped underrated undermastering grade tool?

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

SmartEQ2 is static EQ. A very different thing.

9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Much less than the ones that said that it CAN be done and have neither pay $200 nor $149 for Soothe, or at least try it free for 20 days in order to have an opinion based on personal experience. Just like people that talk about vintage synths without having played one. It is what it is.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

As someone use to write.. This has been said a million times in many post here.. Just Learn to use the search function and you will find all the answers you want..

11. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

I have not had the chance to try it but people I know who have say nothing but great things about it. Its a fave plug for at least one highly respected Grammy award winning mix engineer and I trust his opinion..

12. tori

tori Platinum Record

I think it's a very interesting plugin, I just don't have that much use for it yet, still need to learn mixing without these magical tools, but I will try it when I'm a little better I guess, and if I like it and there's a 50% discount I'll buy it.

I just don't really like hypes like "you need this immediately, otherwise your beats sound like shit" and begging for a group to crack something.

And maybe it's good that it isn't cracked yet, Oeksound seems to be one of the most innovative Developers, if they have enough money they can maybe make even more very interesting plugins in less time. Right now they only have 2 and they seem like a rather young company.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I downloaded the Soothe demo and couldn't get it to authorize- I don't remember what the issue was at this point. So I think Soothe is overrated by default. :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  14. tun

tun Rock Star

but still 3/4 the price

15. tun

tun Rock Star

yea honestly i can only imagine that to be true. i do not have experience with soothe but i do have experience with people, and my experience is not positive when it comes to that kind of thing :rofl:

16. tun

tun Rock Star

i trust those people the least. they are usually the same people that claim cables have to be plugged a certain way, or loads of other crazy pseudoscience audiophile bullshit.
    i trust people on forums like this much more.
    people are saying the same here though, but dont put all your faith in those guys, they just knew the right people at the right time, there are people here who are far better audio engineers than people on 6 figure incomes for what they do.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Wait a moment... what, WUUUUUUTTT???!!!!!

I FUCKING HATE IT!!! MAMAAAA BUY IT FOR ME!!! :crazy::suicide:

18. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Because soothe uses FFT, AND if you have PDC on, it should cause NO phase shift.

19. tun

tun Rock Star

absolutely agree 100%. i was referring to another conversation in that context.

20. Herr Tony

Herr Tony Producer

you seem to have a big misconception between what EQ phase shifting and phase shifting between N tracks is. PDC is made for the latter while passive Eqs (linear eqs) are made for the former. In general ways, PDC will align 2 or more tracks, so the results of the calculations of each track (and the plugins used in that track), will sum up at the same time. Meaning no phase deviation between, say 3 kick drum takes, which could affect the sound destructively.

But if in one of those tracks, you boost some frequencies with a non linear eq, the internal phase of the frequencies comprising the spectrum of that sound will be "shifted", and will unequivocally change that individual track sound.

Then, the DAW adds PDC number of samples, and you still have audio with phasing issues cause PDC, was not created to tackle those problems.

and btw, the original coder of Soothe, Olli Erik Keskinen, have stated Soothe not to be a linear phase eq.
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro...c-resonance-suppressor-plugin-released-2.html