The law of remixing

Discussion in 'Education' started by djradu, Jun 19, 2013.

1. djradu

djradu Newbie

Hello , what are the laws and regulations on remixing songs for non commercial purpose,who to ask permission do i have to pay some money ? Thank you ! :)

3. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

the law is different in every country,

you should try to contact the Artist or the Record Label,
    I dont know if you have to pay :dunno: , but i know that sometimes to get the permission to remix a track you only have to send a request letter to the artist or record label and then they will let you know if is ok or not.

was the song that you remixed dowloaded illegally or did you bought it? :rofl:

it´s not legal,
    but if you are not going to sell your music, you shouldn't have any problem.

Only if your remix becomes so famous that people instead of buying\download the original\authorised song\remixes, they decide to download your unauthorized remix,
    then you might have a problem with the record label, and they will try to destroy :snuffy: your remix.

4. djradu

djradu Newbie

Thank you very much , you people here are very kind ! :mates:

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

It's all part of the AudioSex experience. :mates:

6. djradu

djradu Newbie

Is the same thing with mashup/transisions ? And one more question Offtopic what do you friends do with the songs,remixes,etc. you create with w---z software,you can't sell them,maybe put them on soundcloud and zippyshare but what if we get caught ? In Romania few people go for this stuff in a whole neighborhood of mine im the only whom dj's and produces music with w---z software,and whom dj's and produces in general ! !

7. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

the law is different in every country,

You are from Romania ,greetings :wink: ,
    i remember this,

AIMR - Asociația Industriei Muzicale din România.

"We are Music Industry Association of Romania, and we represent the local labels for both romanian and international content. The website btarena.org (The Pirate Bay clone) is hosted in Romania and we already started the legal action against it." :rofl:

you can search and see what kind of legal actions where taken to Romanian Artists by the AIMR :wink:

for me, mashups are remixes.
    mashups are made up entirely of "Stolen" material, and remixes are made of "Stolen" material plus some original material, but technically they are the same in tearms of legality.
    so my previous post applies to mashups as well.

the law is very complex and probably i can not explain to you in one post, but if you want (it helped me understand in the past)
    visit the page below if you want to know more about the subject,
    specially the Copyright and Conclusion sections

Bastards and Booties: Production, Copyright, and the Mashup Community
    Code:
    http://www.sibetrans.com/trans/a13/bastards-and-booties-production-copyright-and-the-mashup-community.
    and if you want to get deep learn about
    Fair use

about w..z stuff

i doubt anyone (home artists, and some underground artists) has been or will be caught using pirated stuff, but of course it can happen.

if you are not selling your music, or you make music has a hobby, or to share with your friends,or you are learning and practice with the w..z software you shouldn´t worry to much, and you probably know that some big artist do use w..z software and sell their songs..

at the end it all comes down to personal beliefs/morals/ethics, and each person must stand by his own.

if in the future you make money with your songs or get paid for making remixes you should buy the software you use.

yes you can put them in Soundcloud or share with zyppyshare, if you get caugh, you will be asked to remove the songs or probably they (record labels) will tell the hosts (eg. Soundcloud) where you have the files, to remove the content.
    Soundcloud probably just removes the files and will not tell you anything..

use
    Code:
    http://bootiemashup.com/blog/ 
    i think is less strict than soundcloud
    or
    Code:
    http://official.fm/
    Have Fun
    Make Music :grooves:

8. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

Interesting Stuff

RiP!: A Remix Manifesto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWZLFkmqAE

Warezed SoundForge Files In Windows Media Player
    Code:
    http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/04/11/13/0036243/warezed-soundforge-files-in-windows-media-player
    Microsoft ripped off Deepzone
    Code:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/discussions/89-173539

9. djradu

djradu Newbie

Thank you all for the good advices an knowledge you gave me,now another question , each month i reallease 2 mixes witch i upload to mixcloud and put them on my website,on my website on each track i place a link from where the visitors can buy the track,is this breaking the law,is mixcloud and my website leggal ? My website is HERE is it legal cause i place links to every track so people can buy ? No one can download the mixes ! Thank you !

10. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

your D.M.C.A And Legal Terms section is nice

placing the links to every track so people can buy doesn´t make the website legal, but probably artist and labels will be happy with that(advertising space) and being more gentle with you.

even if you don't provide a downloadable mp3 you have to understand that new laws (depends on the country) cover streaming music too.

i dont know if Mixcloud is legal, they say: all playback of copyrighted songs contained within the tracklists on the site are reported so that the correct licensing royalties can be attributed to the artists.
    :rofl:
    Code:
    http://support.mixcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/157244-is-mixcloud-licensed-to-play-copyrighted-music-
    so if they do that, probably your mixes will last longer in their site comparing to soundcloud.

Don´t worry to much, only mainstream labels will ask for removing the mixes.

and the worst it can happen to you will be to remove the mixes..
    keep a back up and post it else where.

more options

Code:
    podomatic.com, house-mixes.com , mix.dj, official.fm, djforums.com, 

please read this below if you want to get more knowledge

Code:
    http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/02/is-it-legal-to-upload-dj-sets-to-the-internet/
    Code:
    http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/03/why-you-shouldnt-post-your-mixes-on-soundcloud/

11. djradu

djradu Newbie

Thank you verry much for your kindness and time to answer all of my questions,i apreciate ! :thumbsup:

12. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

Not a Problem :wink:

:grooves:

13. djradu

djradu Newbie

So i can't go to jail or get a fine for keeping that site i mean ? Thank you ! P.S.-This is a great and superb community ! :mates: :grooves: :wink:

14. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

i dont know, i never heard of some underground or home dj being arrested or get a fine for that.

well, before you get arrested or get a fine , the ones that do share and allow download of copyright songs will be first :wink:

if you sell songs\mixes that are not yours probably you will get a fine or be arrested in the long run.

dont worry :grooves:

maybe other members can give you some advice :bow:

15. djradu

djradu Newbie

When i sent an email to mixcloud and asked them if its legal to embed the html code into my website,i mean to put the mixes on my website,they said it should not be a problem and said something about royalty free...thank you for your time :mates: P.S. - I don't offer any free downloads,not to the mixes and not for the individual traks,and i put links to form were to buy eatch song ! :(

16. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

As long as you dont make money off of someones elses intellectual property (or whatever!) youre pretty safe.
    Thats my basic way of looking at it.

p.s. Nice to see someone polite, who appreciates the info people give em :thumbsup:

17. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

That's what we're all about here. *yes*

DJ RADU drop us a line, let us know how you're doing. :mates:

18. urOk

urOk Member

A copyright owner has the exclusive right to decide if and how other people use their work. If you are remixing someone else’s track, or using samples, you need to have permission from the copyright owner. So thats mean you can keep remix for your self, you can't publish anywhere without permission.

But you can send your remix to the artist and ask for permission to publish. If is good remix I don't think there will be an issue :)

If you are DJ and you just mix tracks, you don't need permission. But if you do mashup you need to ask.

You can't sell remixed tracks! Is against the law everywhere :) You need permission for it and this will cost you a lot of money i suppose