"The Killer Must Die" sound

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by sevente, Aug 27, 2023.

?

Was this distortion intentional?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sevente

sevente Kapellmeister

OK, this has been buggin' the shit out of me and could use the opinion of people that know what they're on about - this track by The Derringer Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
    When it gets to the bridge (at 2.19) , and I'm listening on my headphones, to me it sounds awful. There is distortion, and to me it doesn't sound like a good kind of distortion — I don't think it's on the master fader, maybe everything except the vocals, but I could be wrong.
    When I listen to it in my car I can't hear the distortion, it sounds OK.
    I've listened to different versions (i.e. different formats from different sources) and it seems to be in all of them.
    I think it's kind of there in the chorus (i.e. 1.45) and other parts — I can see the waveform getting a lot more squashed in those sections, but it's definitely most pronounced and audible in the bridge at around 2.19.
    To me it sounds like is definitely a some sort of clipping going on. I ask because I don't know whether it was intentional (I assume not) or whether they were trying to make it louder — if it was the latter, is there a way they could have done it better i.e. without the audible distortion?

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Sounds like an aesthetic choice to me? Arrr hurr I'm descending into madness.

4. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

I would say it´s the subbass from the kick+bass,
    and depending on the audio system, it then distorts.

5. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I'm guessing that you are not talking about the guitars completely changing tone at 2:19? Kinda sounds like they added a Boss HM-2 or maybe a cranked RAT.

It also sounds like they are definitely pushing the limiter/limiters too hard, but I'm not hearing any obvious harmonic distortion from that, just pumping.

6. sevente

sevente Kapellmeister

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the feedback - sorry for not getting back sooner, have been distracted with assignments and deadlines
    Lemmy - I'm not sure about that, I don't think it's the headphones - one is a consumer set and the other studio and they both handle bass pretty well and I can hear it in both - if anything I think its the reverse, that the stereo system in my car, which is just a standard Kia system, is blurring or smearing the sound which is why I can't hear it there.
    AJ - yeah, it's not exactly at that initial tone shift, just a few seconds after where there's that choppy staccato downstroke bit (actually that's probably part of it) but I think you're right about the limiters, I think its just doing something to the guitars that I don't like
    Anyway, thanks for indulging my microfocus on minutia that's probably not that important in the scheme of things