The holy grail of backups.

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Von_Steyr, May 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Finally you can store your songs and plugins to a respectable "producer`s" size medium.
    We have had to endure a lot of humiliation and disrespect from the mainstream corporations, trying to store all those compressors and EQs to such small media as cd`s and dvd`s.
    Well not any more!
    How would you like to do a 3.3TB backup onto an optical disk cartridge system that uses the same technology as blu ray?
    Now its possible.
    Disc sizes vary from 300Gb to 3.3TB.
    You will have to pay around 150$ for a 1.5TB write once optical disc that will last at least 50 years.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983354-REG/sony_odc1500r_archive_cartridge_1500gb_write.html
    There is just one thing though. You will have to buy a seperate burner that connects via USB and costs around 3,300 pounds.

[​IMG]
    http://shop.wtsbroadcast.com/storag...disc-archive-standalone-drive_ct659pd6827.htm

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-recmedia/cat-oda/

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Pereira

Pereira Producer

OMG :woot:
    They are real geniuses.....A hard disk in the cartridge (which needs a reader that costs like three PCs......) Let's go and buy immediately:excl:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

I want three (ok.. need to sell the car first...) :sad:

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Maybe it also loads old sega games. :hillbilly:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Sure they are very cool and real handy but 150 dollars for 1.5TB write once and 3,300 dollars for a burner :woot:
    I guess if money is no object but god damn that's pricey??
    Is it guaranteed against damage or if on a cartridge I guess real sturdy but I'd be like making backup for the backup :yes:
    1.5TB don't seem that much for the money though the console game bit sells it I guess lol.
    I mean 50 years gap is also one hell of a project start it at 10 and finish at 60. Who in the hell needs 50 years??
    Like i said if your absolutely minted then why not spend a fortune and also play a few rounds of Sonic while you master your new album :rofl:

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yea, its meant for large data backups, movie industry, etc. 3,300 pounds is not that much if you are in the business, do frequent large data backups.
    Also internet upload speeds are still rather low, so it might be faster to actually deliver such backups personally rather than to wait a day or two for the upload to finish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. dondada

dondada Rock Star

Noobs ;)

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I'll just stick with my m-disc bd-r. 13 €/100 gb plus 70€ for the drive, that's the most cost-effective way imo. I just backup projects with samples and presets, tho, I don't backup libraries. So 100 gb are well enough for me.
    Still, the problem of off-site storage remains because if I just keep them in a drawer near my desk I'm still fucked if the house burns down.

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Well, remember when bluray players cost a grand? Remember when 4k tvs were 25000? Give it some time and you'll have extra ones just laying around in the closet.

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Cloud storage or a bank safe, costs about the same.

12. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

I still don't have 4K TVs laying around in the closet tho...

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@RedThresh Yeah me either, but I just bought a samsung 60" 4k last black friday for under 400 bucks. The very first 4k tv was a sony 74in for 25k. Back then I installed 3 of them in a condo subbing work from the sony store. And the property owner was only there 2 weeks out of the year and didnt even come some years. What a waste of money Then sony dropped the 55in 4k for 7grand a couple years later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. dondada

dondada Rock Star

really no reaction guys. lto5 200 bucks per pack 10tapes @1.5Tb or 3tb comp (single tapes sometimes cheaper).
    simple internal lto drives about 300 bucks on ebay. lto6 is even 6tb per tape
    writespeed over 140mb/sec (without seek) ?

homeusers dont need a tape robot like in the above video heheh, but there isnt anything cheaper
    and with care lasts 50years.
    i recomend a look ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  15. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

This should suffice - at $2 per disc:

16. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Sidenote:
    Remember the really expensive all-in-one Open Labs Open Synth Neko 64 keyboard/workstation?
    [​IMG]
    No?
    Neither does Richard Devine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2017