The great DAW debate !

Discussion in 'DAW' started by One Reason, Oct 9, 2011.

1. avva

avva Newbie

this is now a Reaper missing features thread... hooray... don`t forget the sws extensions, there`s extensions called Autopocket and Fingers Groove Tool + there`s èlastique 2.1 Pro Timestreching, beat-detection tools and "Create chromatic MIDI item from slices" already... it will be interesting to see how much better VST3 x64 plugz will be running in Reaper vs. Cubase... heh ;)

2. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Don't forget Reaper's lack of copy protection and retail cost. They have their corporate head in the right place.

They strive to keep their program updated whenever they improve or fix anything, instead of making you wait and pay more for a new version.

SWS extensions and skin-able, mouse modifiers and custom menus, These are fantastic concepts other DAW's should use too.

These factors alone should make anyone consider Reaper as a go to DAW, and I hope will eventually change the way companies do business.

PS. Repear's forum is fantastic, and they want to know what missing features they can add, please request them here: http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Just thought I would point out a few wonderful things about Reaper that I appreciate, besides it being a totally professional DAW.

It has been brought to my attention that Reaper does not have staff notation, a major thing for some people, It if not that important to me.

3. Burninstar

If you like you could start your own "Reaper's Missing Features" thread. It would probably get a lot of response.

4. APC40

APC40 Newbie

This!

I couldn't have said it better myself! :wink:

5. RP9

RP9 Newbie

Studio One 2.

Period for me, after 30 years of this comp sound BS.

6. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

1. FL Studio 10 for midi comp. Reaper for Live recording.

2. Midi editing [piano roll] set up. I no longer have a functioning midi controller so I have to piano roll and punch in notes atm. This process would take 10x longer in almost every other DAW just because the midi editing in FL Studio is awesome. What would really get me to switch to something? A DAW THAT LET ME USE MORE THAN 2-3 GIGS OF MEMORY... I have 8 gigs of ram on a quad core and I'd like to be able to load that instead of having to split master files by instrument and save out 1 at a time.

3. Function Features. I demand a good midi editing set up as a #1 priority. If I can't write the midi properly the song is doomed from the start. I'd also at least use another program if they had midi functions like "select note by volocity" which is really needed when writing guitar parts in midi. The layout of a DAW is also important. If you can't get to what you need right away an idea can slip away so if I have to go through several menu's to get something it's just not good enough.

4. Things that will make me never BUY a DAW again.
    A: Using proprietary plug-ins like RTAS crap. I shouldn't have to bridge plug-ins because your company wants more money.
    B: Using hardware dongles that are bascailly a way to extort money out of your for insurance and have nothing to do with piracy.
    C: Charging people to export as MP3 so a comp isn't taken up with 100-200+ meg wav files when you just wanna hear a bounced demo.
    D: A midi editor that can be smashed by late 80's midi software Master Tracks Pro.
    E: A DAW that creates database files on EVERY external harddrive/thumbdrive I plug in.
    F: A DAW that you have to special hardware for because they make money on all the hardware needed and stop making drivers once a new model is out.
    G: That has tech support that instead of helping tries to extort money from you.
    H: A DAW that cost hundrends more than others and really doesn't have ANYTHING that is better just named differently.
    I: Fuck Pro Tools.

7. Burninstar

I love this stuff. I was doing the same as you,"FL Studio 10 for midi comp. Reaper for Live recording" until FL studio started giving me fits. Now I am trying to do it all with Reaper and I am seeing how FL studio sorely lacks in certain departments.

8. fresh

fresh Newbie

reaper is the fastest and best daw out here.... but it don t have melodyne integrated (like presonus studio one) and a proprietary fatchannel like sonar x1.

9. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

If you don't mind then I may pm you some questions about Reaper if you are successfully doing midi comp with it. I've been wanting to replace FL Studio for like 6 years but either other DAW's are missing things I critically need or things that should only take a second in FL Studio takes like 20-30 seconds in most other daws just to get to the options or auotmations.

Speaking of that I hate FL Studio's automations, I could make a more accurate curve by going R. Kelly style on my monitor.

10. Burninstar

Now, now, keep it in your pants. LOL

The main difference between the two MIDI editors is that FL Studio uses tools that you select, while Reaper uses mouse modifiers to change tools.

This concept makes it easy to change tools by holding down certain keys while clicking and dragging the mouse. Example: Drag your MIDI it moves, Drag your MIDI holding the control key it copies. There is no need to select tools from a toolbar or menu.

The same concept applies to rearranging song parts.

It took me a moment to grasp this concept and realize there are no visible tools in Reaper's editor. I worked through the Groove 3 tutorials and now I fly around Reaper.

Not only do the mouse modifiers shortcut the main edit tools, but you can also assign any other actions, the things you do the most, to their own mouse modifier keys!

You will save loads of time by not having to search for and select an editing tool icons every time you want to switch functions. That always slowed me down especially with FL's extra small tool selector.

I am here for your questions, PM if you like, but my time is limited. I strongly suggest the Groove 3 tutorials.

Hope I can Help.

11. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

And what is so special about that?
    With Cubase, for instance, you can do the same... except that you have to press Alt instead of Ctrl.

12. Burninstar

It's not really special, just how it differs from FL Studio in operation.

I am not a Cubase user, tell me can Cubase let you add and customize your own mouse modifier choices. For example if I wanted, by using the mouse and the 15 different key combinations could do any of 17 different actions in up to 20 different contexts.

This means that I could easily change the copy action from the Control key to the Alt key making it work the same as it does in Cubase.

If Cuebase can not reconfigure these keys then I guess Reaper is kinda special in that way. I don't know, I do not use Cuebase.

13. limitemcee

limitemcee Newbie

Presonus studio one hands down

14. lukie

lukie Newbie

I used Wavelab for years for mixing dj sets till I got my head round live. It does not sound as good Wavelab probably because I had to work out the bpm's manually in wavelab and then time stretch them. As live it does it all for you.

I use Cubase for the production side of things I just find it so simple to use.

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Each one should first say, for what he/her uses the daw. It´s really different if you compose music playing it, as if you use samples loop, for example.

I compose almost every thing, including drums, exceptionally I use some loop, but very often, I finally rewrite them with independent samples, so I can modify it.

I use Samplitude Pro X 12 x64 because it is very stable, very intuitive and one of the most important thing: because it have staff view and editing, including selecting several tracks at the same time and viewing their staff together in one window. I love the mix table, it is like a real one, and flexible, you can add buses, inserts every where you need.
    It´s defaults are the way the vst list is shown, I don´t understand why not all DAWS don´t take example with FL Studio in this aspect, it is so much easier to see an image of the VST.
    And you cannot ad more than one path for vst in the preference page, witch is absolutely sally and oblige to navigate and rescan the folder when you install a new vst in an other folder than the chosed one.
    For the rest, it is really good and is capable of taking advantage of power PC if you have one, using multicore and the huge ram perfectly.

I have tried FL Studio witch is, for me, not ok because there is no staff view, the mix table is poor and it is not 64 bit, and the pattern way of thinking is king of dangerous for musician, because it tends to do separated ideas instead of a global vision of your piece.
    Tried Cubase 5 witch have staff view but its really heavy and is not taking advantage of a power pc, and worst of all it is absolutely not intuitive.
    Tried Sonar x1 Producer I love the presentation, it is very clear, it have a staff view but editing staff is poor and it was unable to load Stylus RMX and some other vst that I cant remember, so this was a dead end for me.
    Studio One have very similar presentation of Sonar, I have not tried it enough to have a real opinion.
    Protools seems to be very interesting, but I don´t like to feel obliged by enterprise that sells something to me, if i am obliged to use a certain brand of hardware to use a software, this is a dead end.

16. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

Hi there I also use Samplitude X and you can have different VST folders by the way, you just missed it my one eye blink

"The selected folder is then scanned by Samplitude for VSTs. Plug-ins are then checked for usability within Samplitude. This scan is only necessary once per folder, since available VST plug-ins are saved during this process. If multiple VST plug-in folders are present on your computer, then you may enter additional sources by scanning them with the option "(Re-) Scan selected VST folder" once more. If individual plug-ins are not integrated as expected, then try using the option "(Re-) Scan selected VST folder including failed plug-ins" to check them. Samplitude detects newly installed plug-ins automatically, but only in the specified folders.The corresponding data is saved in the file "VSTplug-ins.ini"

Hope that helps

17. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Hi Dan,
    Thank you for trying to help me, but I new what you describe. What you explain is true but not when you try new vst.

What I mean is that in many other DAWS you only need to add different vst folder once. Then, when you install a new vst in any of them, you only need to tell the program to re-scan, you don't need to specify where because it will re-scan all the folders. In fact in most DAW, in that preference page, you see a list of folders not only one.

Example: you work in win 7 x64 SAM x64 with both 64 and 32 bits vsts,
    so the 64bit vst are installed in C:\Program Files\VstPlugins
    and the 32bit vst are installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins
    right?

Now lets say you got good new stuff from Audioz. But it is 32bit. In SAM program preferences/VST Directx rewire setup page you see only one folder, lets say it is the x64 folder (C:\Program Files\VstPlugins) but your brand new VST was installed in the 32 bit folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins) that means you have to browse again to this folder before asking for a re-scan, because when you re-scan only the folder that is shown in this option window is scanned.

As i usually separate composition from trying new vst, when the time comes I use to experiment several long hours, so I install a lot of vst to try them, at this moment the way this works is real pain.

Also: If you create your own template lets say with some x64 compressor on the master bus (Witch would be installed in C:\Program Files\VstPlugins) but last time you used SAM you have left the Samplitude program preferences/VST DIrectx rewire setup page to C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins SAM wont be able to load your compressor at start, witch is a worst pain.

The only way I found to solve this is to put a shortcut to the other folder(s) I use in the default one. But this is not a great solution, because then, all vst from the shortcuted folders appears as one big list in the vst menu.

I have tried to edit the VSTplug-ins.ini file, but as it is re-created each time Samplitude starts this does not work.

If you know a solution to this, I will be very happy to use it.

I believe that every DAW should offer a real flexible vst database with several path (witch you could be select or not for re-scan by clicking at its side) and functions like categories, comments, favorites, and stars and even thumbnails of plugins. This would be the real deal to have a fluid workflow.