The great DAW debate !

Discussion in 'DAW' started by One Reason, Oct 9, 2011.

1. pclarx

pclarx Newbie

Logic Pro - Best DAW ever ! :wink:

2. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Samplitude is a underrated daw - this beast has got some great features

3. remix

remix Platinum Record

ACID PRO 7

4. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

FL Studio is simply the best d.a.dubya to make beats on. The program maneuverability is great!

I make all of my tracks in piano roll. One page. It takes a bit of time but it makes out for a extremely in-depth track being that the FL piano roll is very easy to work with...as long as you dont mind copying and pasting.

If you think mixing down in FL sucks, its probably because you have sigmatel audio on your sound driver lol.
    I run SRS Audio Sandbox and mange to make pristine mixes with every track.
    ASIO FOR ALL(or what ever its called) actually sux lol.

I've never tried to record in FL Studio. I dont think its made for that. I'll leave that to Sony Acid and Adobe Audition.

As for the other d.a.dubs...

I tried LIVE when it first came out. I just didnt like it...kind of like that random dudes face that you see sometimes and just want to punch it and dont know why.

5. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Acid pro for me

Why? hmmm dunno, i'm used to it i suppose

It never seems to get a mention in any serious d.a.w. debate, but i love it's simplicity, it does pretty much everything i need it to do, which is basically, record audio, insert synths, fx, and midi

6. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

pro tools le here.i m just used to it and i like its gui more than other daws.
    my second choice would be sonar XI if it didn t look so messy.
    I don t know what pro tools does that other software don t,so far it had walways done what i needed

7. paulben

paulben Newbie

At this present time my favorite is Sonar X1.

I mostly record acoustic instruments such as acoustic guitar through Shure sm-81 microphones. For whatever reason, Sonar sounds great just recording the guitar dry through a mic. If I do this on Ableton, Cubase, Samplitude, it sounds very weak. With the same equipment, the differences are unbelievable. I dont believe im recording any different, just mono tracks, but for whatever reason the other daws all sound very weak. They sound like im recording with a cheap pickup. They say all audio engines are the same so I dont know why this happens. OTher than that, I like Samplitude a lot, great mixer, editing is very good. Certain D.A.W.s are better for acoustic instruments, others are more geared towards loop song creation.

8. abletondummy

abletondummy Newbie

Ableton need a "high quality" shortcut in the Preferences menu to counter occassional "can't be arsed to read the manual" users as above.
    The only reason your audio sounds lesser quality in Ableton is that warping is switched to beats mode by default.
    Turn warping off on your recorded audio clip and you will hear no difference in the quality to Sonar or ProTools.

9. paulben

paulben Newbie

Ive read many manuals. I know this is an age old debate but in my opinion, different workstations sound different. Not only in recording, but just in monitoring as well. Although the specs may be identical, they all utilize things a little differently, your audio interface for example. Just playing my Taylor through a mic in different D.A.W.s sounds worlds apart,and I havent been able to replicate the sound of one D.A.W. in a different one. Using VST synths pretty much sounds the same in most workstations, but live audio is a different story. You can believe what you want to believe.

10. TkiD

TkiD Noisemaker

Since the start of this discussion, my main DAW is still Ableton Live, with APC40 and a cheap Keyrig49, so easy to get into, still use Soundforge 10 for some stuff but not really as necessary. Back in the 90's, when i first started i was using ACID and Soundforge 4. I have decided to give Reason a look. Some people have told me it is hard to get in to, going to check it for myself. I also have PreSonus and FLStudio 10 to check out, but i can't see myself switching from Ableton anytime soon. :thumbsup:

11. rimshooter123

rimshooter123 Noisemaker

After years of Cubase I changed to Ableton Live as my main DAW. For me it's a great creativity + workflow tool. I like the modularity of instruments and effects (+ racks). But I'll keep Cubase due to routing issues of multichannel instruments in Live... to complete my older song projects...

I like Ableton Live. It's not perfect, but I like it. And I hope Live 9 will be great.

12. pclarx

pclarx Newbie

Lol :rofl:

13. hawklords

hawklords Newbie

Hi
    Studio one 2 for me i love it,
    I was a dedicated sonar user, but the last version was horrible and confusing.
    After looking round i picked up studio one 2, As it has mastering and pitch correction built in.
    And an easy workflow so i can spend time on music, and not on a software learning curve A++

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

...BitWig, FTW!! :bleh:

15. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

FL Studio for producing
    -Incredibly simple midi mapping
    -Simple automation
    -FPC to emulate an MPC for sampling :)

Cubase 5 (waiting for 6 to be cracked) for recording, mixing, mastering
    Honestly I switched to it because it was the simplest to find a crack for, and it was the main competition/equivalent to Pro Tools...
    after that I just got used to it, didn't us other DAWs and only stayed faithful to Cubase :)

16. Oxilatur

Oxilatur Newbie

I worked with cubase for 10 years, but switched to reaper a few months ago. In my opinion reaper is the most flexible and powerfull DAW out there. The interface is similar to Cubase, so it didn't take long to learn the interface. But in reaper you can customize everything, it really speeds up your workflow. And the routing posibilities are insane. Go reaper!

17. avva

avva Newbie

Been using all daw`s.... finally we have REAPER.... seriously... what can any other daw do, that REAPER can`t do 10x times better!?! anyone?

18. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Clip \ Session View..

Pwned. :rofl:

19. Oxilatur

Oxilatur Newbie

Reaper does not support VST3, so that's something to improve.

20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

reaper also doesnt have a "beat detective"/auto beat mapping/warping feature. I do that kind of work in ableton then stem it out, and import it into reaper. Reaper will get there, theyre constantly updating it.