The great DAW debate !

Discussion in 'DAW' started by One Reason, Oct 9, 2011.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Glad you two sorted it out.. :mates:

2. TkiD

TkiD Noisemaker

@ One Reason: Nice UI, great for nightime work, easy on the eyes :bow:

3. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

anyone using TH2?

in Reaper (4.1 x64, lastest version), yesterday, when I tried using the IR cabinet, and switched the IR slider (the one in the panel below the cab) to high accuracy for better bottom end definition, th2 sort of crashed and as a result the sound was gone (it happened every time I tried) ...and I had to remove and add the plug in again...PITA!

I tried in sonar (my DAW)...works all right...

anyone has this problem?

4. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Reaper 4.02x64 TH2 2.2.1 x64, Seems to work fine. Cabinet IR working fine.

Hope this helps

5. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

good to see you are till around! :)

well sure it helps me a bit, I should either downgrade my version of reaper or update my TH2 as I run 2.1.9

I guess i'll try the new th2 to see, as they updated it, that may solve the prob! thanks a lot! :wink:

EDIT:
    after re reading your post and checking the TH2 website (the lastest version is 2.1.9 actually), I'm not sure you tried what causes the problem..the IR cab works fine for me too until I try to use the accuracy slider (did you do that?)
    you have 3 positions L M and H when I set it on H, the sound is gone and I need to remove the plug in and add it again to get the sound to work again in TH2

6. Burninstar

I double checked, The version numbers are correct. I moved the slider and everything works great. I'm using win 7 i5 64bit Reaper and plugin.

I don't know about their web site, but that is the version I have. from audioz

There are many guitar amp sims out there, I use recabinet It sounds great but uses a lot of CPU.

Hope you figure it out

Edit: I just tried to find the download on audioz and the highest version I could find is 2.1.9 . When I go to info on the plugin the version is 2.2.1 I also could not find it in my download directory ether. I try to keep all my extracted downloads except sample libraries. This is strange. Works good though.

7. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

but if you get the lastest verson from overloud, which I did, it's 2.1.9...2.2.1 is not out yet

also something I forgot to tell you is that this happens when I use 3rd party IRs (even with the redwirez)...I'll install S1 and see if it works with it or nor, so far sonar is OK, reaper "fails" (lol) though I dont know why

if I cant sort it out, i'll try other versions of TH2 (I have an old 2.1.1). Thanks again :)

8. Burninstar

I don't know where I got this version from. I have not tried any 3ed party IRs.

Do you think somehow someone hacked the software and changed the version number? I am really starting to wonder, also I have no presets with it

9. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

well honestly I dunno...but could it be TH2 2.1...(2.2.1)...I really dont know where you got that one from :dunno:

10. Burninstar

I have found this out. The x86 version of the plugin does not run on my system and crashes Reaper, I also have the TH2 Play Brunetti x86 plugin, which runs well and is at v2.1.1.

11. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

thanks for taking the time to try this out, it means there is definitely a compatibility problem, so no use wasting time trying to sort it out...I'll just wait for the next update of reaper or th2 and try again, hopefully, it will solve the problem. :wink:

BTW I tried in S1 and it works well

EDIT: I found out why it "crashed" in reaper, it's because of the block size, I need to actually specify a value (320 in my case) it seems that repear's default value doesn't suit my soundcard ...now I can switch from low to high and the sound is still there :)

12. Burninstar

I'm glad you finally figured it out. Now you can have some fun!

13. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

How does one know what block size is right for their card anyway? :dunno:

14. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

it's just another name for the size of your Asio buffer....I dont know whats reaper's default (256 probably, but my card didnt like it!)

15. digital.musician

digital.musician Newbie

FL Studio to the end! lol :)

16. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

it depends what you do with it...to record audio...clearly not my first choice

17. smartlad

smartlad Member

Live all the way for me.. It suits me well for edm and my needs. I really can't see any reason to change. Tried cubase 5 and FL about a year ago, just out of curiosity I guess but was taking far too long to do simple tasks and didn't have the patience when I could do exactly the same thing in ableton in seconds.

It is missing some little things though I would like to see, like drawing curves for automation or hotswapping loops in arrangement mode. I know you can audition in browser while track is playing but its not quite the same as chances are you want it processed a certain way already.

Duel screen support would be nice also for mixer view but I guess you would have to disable the session view features some how for that to work. Another thing would be for its own plugs to pop up like vst's do and not be restricted at the bottom of the screen.

All these things arn't essential, I can do without them but it would be nice *yes*

18. audiochemist

audiochemist Newbie

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is no other.its my brother from another mother!!!!!!

19. smartlad

smartlad Member

?

20. ALpineMusix

ALpineMusix Newbie

FL Studio. That's the most comfortable enviro to make beats for me as far as using software is concerned. Recording audio, well...it's bammer weed, in toker slang. But the ease of actually MAKING a beat or something from almost ANY pc vsti that you can load is AWESOME!! I can't live without a GUI like FL Studio and the tweaking options that it provides. You can get a video tutorial from youtube or anywhere else fast for newbs to FL Studio. If you don't like the demo of FL Studio, you can get a full version torrent/joint, no prob.

I am open to other D.on't A.sk W.hereIgetmyweed 's but at the time of purchase, FL Studio was only about $99 for virtually an all access pass, but there's torrents all over now, so getting a copy isn't a prob. The other D.A.W.'s that I haven't tried, I haven't had the time or the PC harddrive space to install, so finding more vsti's and sampling has been an endless quest to make using FL Studio enjoyable. I've even introduced some people to it so that THEY can make beats, and nothing else has been easier!

I HIGHLY recommend it FOR MAKING BEATS, no pun intended, but recording vocals is somewhat of a conundrum!

If you have customers visiting your studio, it's a no-brainer to let them use FL Studio to waste their time and money making beats, but of course, they always catch on sooner or later and find a way to get to it on their own - which is the financially sad part.