The great DAW debate !

Discussion in 'DAW' started by One Reason, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Why would a plugin work with some and not all DAWs? Faulty plugin? If it works in some then it seems it would meet the criteria for a working plugin. The difference must be in the way the DAW scans and loads them, Some use internal bridging and wrappers that are not allowing the plugs to work.

That is why I think the DAWs are the problem and not so much the plugins. I'm sure the developers of most plugins would want them to work in all the DAWs and meet the criteria.

The criteria was developed by Steinburg long ago. I think it maybe the DAW developers are not trying all of the plugins available. I know some of the problems come from using cracked versions, but it seems if a plugin works in one DAW it should work in all.

I think I'm discouraged enough not to try it, stupid idea anyway.

True about Reaper handling plugins. It is slick.

2. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Been looking more and more at Reaper, and its skinning capabilities... spent last night making some tweaks to that RADO theme... this could be a seriously nice GUI with a lil more work.

3. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yes that fact that it doesnt work is also due in part to the DAW and the way it works/its been coded, there are so many causes for incompatibility..like the DAW (so as to perform better) sends info the plug-in cant handle properly, or the plug-in when loaded is using more memory than it is allowed to...sometimes it could just be due to a compromise between stability and performance on the programmer's behalf etc...and even if all where coded well and virtually fool-proof, there would still be hardware, drivers and OS issues left to create additional problems!...well you cant test everything anyway ...what you ask is like asking the road to adapt to your car ... that aint going to happen any time soon. Plug ins should be extensively tested before they are released...but if it was the case, we wouldnt have so many toys to play with :)

4. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yeah I spotted that one too :rofl:
    REALLY nice...now reaper begin to look like something decent! :headbang:
    it's funny how the GUI can make you feel like you have a different tool between your hands and make the whole experience A LOT more enjoyable!

what did you change to it?

5. Burninstar

The system is there, developed and refined by Steinburg. Hardware drivers and OS are all interfaced through the DAW software, not the plugins. Compromise between stability and performance? You're kidding right. The DAW software is developed by teams of people, they design them to make money in the commercial marketplace. They do lots of testing including Bata testing on many machines and systems.

DAW sending info that the plugin can't handle or cant get access to memory. Sounds again like a DAW software Problem.

I believe the plugin developers are playing for real money too. The plugin developers can not fix what is lacking in the DAWs. They test a lot, you can bet on it.

One question: Why can't we test everything that we can get our hands on?

I'm not trying to fix anything . I thought it would be nice to know what works with what.

I love Mdrummer. When I downloaded it , the standalone version worked the plugins did not. I tried 4 new versions as they were released. I was dying to use this plugin. I was using FL studio at the time. None worked.

Downloaded Reaper, guess what? Mdrummer plugins work great. It would have been nice to know that the Mdrummer plugins just will not work in FL Studio, and probably never will. Hell, I thought the plug was broke for a over a year.

If we knew in advance that a certain DAW software will not run say 30% of all plugins. that would be a warning that you are going to have issues with this DAW. That's all I was trying to achieve.

EDIT: Reaper forums has already started testing plugins with the VSTi integration proclamation.

6. Burninstar

Reaper users check out the reaction theme, I found it through the Reaper forums and not in the stash. There are several theme developers that have stepped the interfaces up, by soliciting input from the reaper forum. They are providing extra sweet skins. There is also a replacement menu system that is much better organized and a pleasure to use. It is also on the Reaper forums. Icon sets are cool too.

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

7. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

when a plug in is loaded, it becomes "part of" the DAW and thats when problems happen...not everybody uses their DAW in the same way, with the same other 3rd party plugins etc...so in the end this is just a lack of testing...that's why we have updates...right
    as to the compromise stability/performance, I'm not kidding, but I guess I should explain a bit better what I mean by that. It is certainly possible to have plug ins never or rarely crashing (or even crashing your DAW) (by handling exceptions), but in the end that may create more problem than it solves, as you'd never know when there is a minor problem (that might be corrected by a simple update) and would only notice a MAJOR issue...and you'd probably do so too late in the process to avoid it or get any chance to correct it.

yes and no...what if I put diesel in a car that is petrol...whose fault is it?...the oil or the car?..well you get the idea

why??? is this a serious question or it's just intended as a joke? ...well in case you're serious... if you are willing to buy all the part/components available on the market today (motherboards, control surfaces, audio interfaces, DAW, drivers etc etc) and combine them in any way possible to test your plug in...first you'll need a lot of money, then you'll need a huge amount of time ...so you'd better be a BIG developer working on a highly profitable plug in...I guess most developers just try a handful of standard configurations they believe their target customers are likely to use and that's all...it's much easier, cheaper and faster for them to leave that job to their poor customers... most of the time we are indeed beta testers of an unfinished product! :rofl:

the prob is that this is not going to happen...in the best case scenario you'd get something like "90% chances of working on a PC running win7 and cubase5", you'll never be 100%sure something works for you unless you try it on your machine and see after a week or two whether you have any problem.

yep I understand what you mean but again, it's simply impossible, and I'm pretty sure you'll find people out there using FL and MrDrummer....perhaps the developers didnt try out their plug in in FL or the way the two work is just imcompatible but the fact that it didnt work on your machine is all you know (thanks for warning/telling us too BTW), and even though that may be the case for 80% of the FL crowd, i'm pretty sure it works for some users as well...

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I think I might have to make THE best DAW (Reaper) Theme ever assembled.... *yes* albeit a SHIT looad of work and time :wow:

Burningstar, link me to the exact page, all I'm getting is a general forum link.

9. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I guess that's what the link is...

http://stash.reaper.fm/browse.php

but the reaction theme isnt as good and sleek as the RADO one IMO

10. Burninstar

lysergyk I was talking about testing software only. I do not think the motherboard is going to break your plugin. Come on do you think it matters which hard drive I use also?
    Be sure and go to the Reaper forum and tell all the people involved with the VSTi integration proclamation that is a waste of time, maybe because they might have different motherboards.

I've come to the conclusion that you would argue with anything I say. While that is required for a debate, that is not what I'm here for.
    We live half a world apart, it would be a wonder if we could agree on anything at all. I am not trying to be an ass, If it is about winning or losing, you have already won. You have single handily talked me out of it long ago.

You have twisted my words and my logic, and I am not sure you can even get your head around what the whole concept is.

I would like to know if anyone is using Mdrummer with FL studio, Here is what I know. I have tried on 4 different systems with the same result, you assumed I only had access to 1 system, and I understand testing 4 machines is not like testing every machine out there, but it does lead me to believe they don't work together. With the input from other people we would know even better if there is a global problem, or just on the systems that I tried. People can work together.

Thanks for your input. I have wasted way too much time on this already. I wish you well though.

FYI, If you put diesel in a car that is petrol...whose fault is it?...the oil or the car?.. It would be your fault clearly!

11. Burninstar

REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

When you preview themes are you using colored tracks and Icon sets with the meters running? This Is a great way to see how the theme looks when actually working on a large projects, and makes a big difference as compared to an uncolored static view.

12. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

well I wouldnt be too worried about your motherboard or HD, I was just mentionning them as a potential source of problem (you want to be 100%sure that something works!), more about your audio interface, but sometimes the drivers or dll they use do create problems, or also how they handle resources...not that often hopefully...I never experienced it myself fortunately...that doesnt mean vsti integration is a waste of time...it just means you CANNOT BE 100% SURE about it...which is what you want...no need to be patronizing!

well I'm sorry you feel that way, I just wanted to help you out...if you see this as a competition...then you're the only runner on the track buddy...as to twisting your words...then express yourself clearly...sorry for being too dumb to understand what I cant see/read plainly. But as I read your words again I clearly grasp how narrow minded you are...see that part in bold?...the fact that someone isnt your neighbour/the guy next-door means you can hardly agree on anything with that person...honestly? I mean no disrespect but that kind of remark is utterly ludicrous and laughable!

I also wasted a lot of time trying to help you, I also have other things to do...but if you really want the answer to your question, why not write an email to the developers and ask them why it doesnt work or whether it worked for them when they tested their plug in?? why come here, you already tried on 4 machines and know it doesnt work!!???

then it's clearly your fault there, you chose FL and Mdrummer...you should have chosen FL and EZdrummer or reaper and Mdrummer.... *no*

hope someone else comes to help you out :bow:

13. Muze

Muze Newbie

I like Cakewalk. I have version 7. Sometimes use X1.
    I have used Steinberg and use this at clients. I hate all the lanes you have to open to see automation.
    I allso have Logic 5 wich is a neat little piece of software.
    I like Reaper version 10. It's small and stable.

I'm starting to use large samplebased synths. Today two sessions simply shut down because of a memory conflict. Sample loading crashed the DAW.
    I need a daw wich can help me isolate those samples in memory so it won't crash the DAW....

I dunno if Cakewalk can do so...
    Today I tested Omnisphere, trilian and Stylus RMX. But I assume they are too heavey for my quadcore. I tested them on a dualcore with two GB of RAM.
    I will install those plugins when my system has more then 4GB of RAM.

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I effin love the rado theme. I got all my toolbars and transport on the top of the track view, and my mixer on the other monitor. I fly with that setup.

One Reason, I know that if you make a reaper theme it'll definitely The Best DAW Theme Ever Made, hehe. Hold on, I dare you to make it, more like "triple dog dare?" you.

If you use reaper, be sure to install the SWS Extensions from here

http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/

and here are better organized context menus

http://mikestopcontinues.com/the-reaper-grimoire/reamenus-the-better-menu-set/

*A tip for learning reaper, first get the groove 3 tutorial. Also try this, keep the action menu open. the KB shortcut to bring it up is question mark, ? If you need to find a command search it in the box, then learn the shortcut, or make your own right there, or assign it to a midi cc or both!

15. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thanks for those suggestions sG, I have SWS installed now, I can see how helpful it it.

I am however completely lost on the menu splicer thing. *yes*

I PM'd you btw.

Cheers :grooves:

16. Burninstar

How does this become my fault. I am not hung up on this. I use several drummer plugins, I know workaround situations. "Maybe the motherboards" was a joke LOL. Mdrummer was just an example. All I was asking was if it was a good idea to test some plugins. I wasn't expecting so much resistance to the idea. As I get older I find many things in life just can't be 100%, but I never let that be the excuse for me to quit! it is easy to make someone sound inferior on the internet, a lot harder face to face. I wish you well and respect your opinion. If there is anything that I can help you with, I would be glad to do so. I don't really need helped out now, you have discouraged me enough.

17. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Ok my turn to voice an opinion . Back to the original question. Cool edit pro is the best DAW ever.Now I'm sure some of you older guys are laughing at that, but c'mon, At least I'm making the younger guys Google it :bleh:

18. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

lol... sadly, my Sister still uses it... :rofl:

19. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

hey man, no hard feelings either over here, you seem to believe I play the devil's advocate for it's own sake LOL... you asked here whether it was a good idea to test plug-ins to know what works with what ...and I answered YES ....BUT...there are so many factors to take into account to get REALLY usable results (yep the motherboard is a bit far fetched! ah ah). Why do you think I'm trying to discourage you from doing it, if you have a lot of free time on your hands and are willing to do it, then by all means do it! I will gladly read your results :)

20. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

actually, it not so much of a joke as you think, Cool edit is still very usable IMO...and as an audio editor (not a DAW) I much prefer it to the new versions of adobe audition (I currently use CS5 bc x64)