The great DAW debate !

Discussion in 'DAW' started by One Reason, Oct 9, 2011.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I am experiencing a pretty similar thing. I have an albeit shitty Audigy 2 soundcard, however in Live, FL, I can operate pretty easily at 4-7MS latency, in S1 at the same latency, It's useless, cracks, pops etc. I have to raise it to at least 11MS in Studio one to get it to clear up.

A definite difference.

2. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I dont have any problem with latency, mine is at about 9/10ms in S1 (which is higher than in sonar for instance but still OK)...
    so there is definitely something going on with this DAW, it's not just me...I'll try to see if I get a similar CPU usage (in S1, cuz windows is just at 30%!) with a higher latency...thanks for your reply :)

3. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I like this thread. I learned a lot about what users like and don't like.

It would be interesting to see who has the most DAW software on their system.

I wonder if we could create a list of which plugins will not work in certain DAW software.

I can not get MDrummer to work in FL Studio, however it works in Reaper. There are probably more conflicts.

I thought for a long time MDrummer plug just did not work. It just doesn't work in FL Studio.

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Fighting in forums and shoutboxes is like running in the special olympics. It doesnt really matter who wins, you're all still retarded.
    :bow: :hug: *yes* :wink: :break: :mates: :dancing: :thumbsup: :grooves: :rofl:
    --
    sG

5. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

I know you intented it as a joke, but in my opinion this is a misanthropic and simply very tasteless comment.
    Imagine how a person with special needs must feel, when he has to read this.

6. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

that would be missing all the subtlety in being called a retard by a moron :hug: :rofl:

7. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

"moron? More on that you." :bleh:

They wouldn't fail to see the humor in it :rofl:

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Burninstar - I know u asked in another thread, but this being the DAW thread I thought I would answer here..

As far as Live goes I guess its the same as most other daws, when first installed it scans all your VST's... yes, it takes a while, and yes, it doesnt like some plugins, as far as I can remember Its maybe balked at or not recognized about 5-6 of my plugins over the years, everything else has been fine, for me at least.

having said that... Studio one rejects some plugins that work in live, same with Cubase, a different set of plugins dont work. It would be nice if there was a definitive list, but I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Do you remember what didn't work in Live for you, and If I use it I can cross-check mine to see if its a universal problem.

When scanning for the first time in Live, if a plugin crashes a time or two it will be disabled for future use so as not to cause continuous issues.

Hopefully there isn't a plugin that you absolutely have to have that will stop you from using Live in the future.

cheers

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

everything works in reaper. the x64 version will use both 32 and 64 bit plugs

11. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep and also, unlike other DAWs, you can pile a shitload of em on top of each other
    without never reaching the ceiling (at the very least, twice as many!), so that's pretty handy

the bridge in sonar x1 is also pretty good

12. Burninstar

One Reason, I almost did not see your reply but you are right, this would be the thread for what we are discussing.

I don't remember which plugins did not work that was 6 months ago on a machine I only use for downloading now. Live8 took a really long time to install, crashing many many times scanning many plugins. Maybe it is better now. It really messed with things last time and it took a lot of time to fix the plugins that quit working in other DAWs after that install. I'm scared to try it again. Reaper has spoiled me when scanning plugins, Fast Fast Fast.

We need to start a thread about which plugins work with which DAW software. Maybe create a chart or something? I would also like to know who has the most DAW software on one machine and if they all behave well.

When I was only using 1 DAW, I would install a plugin. if It did not work I thought it was the plugin, With 2 DAWs installed I found most work with both, but some only work in one or the other or neither.

I guess what needs to be done, Is to clear a machine then install all the DAW software we can get our hands on, then start on the plugins, Install 1 at a time, have all the DAWs use the same plugin folder. Note which ones have problems in which DAWs. There, easier said than done.
    What do you think?

13. mile15

mile15 Kapellmeister

I use Samplitude 5 years and this new version Samplitude Pro X Suite is yust fantastic with all that new features and quality for mixdown tracks is amazing. I must look to this new Studio One Pro v2 if i have time.

14. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Well Burninstar, I have the inclination, but neither the time or the extra machine for all that.

The last time I reinstalled.. EVERYTHING... was about 3 Mo ago, I then backed it all up to an image and swore I would never go thru all that again, were talking almost a week to do all of it, libraries, DAW, plugins, samples etc etc..

I typically dont keep more than one DAW installed at one time, but Ive installed them all, many times, evaluated and keep coming back to LIVE for familiarities sake and plain old ease of use. It just... likes me... regardless of how crappy I think the GUI looks.

I do tend to install the latest releases of reaper, Sonar, Studio one, and FL studio, to see if the things I have griped about in the past have been added or fixed.

As of yet, Live is as close as there is to the perfect DAW for me...The times I have had 3-4 DAW's installed at the same time, I don't recall having any conflicts whatsoever though and typiocally I just uninstall to keep things tidy until the next major update is released.

Studio One is a close second, but after it improving it drastically as far as features and functionality goes, they screwed up and modified a perfectly good version 1 GUI, to something I have extreme distaste towards.

So... for now, and looks like the immediate future.. it's Live for me.

if FL studio adds better audio recording and editing support I'd be all over it.

15. Burninstar

I've got the machine, but not a lot of time. Maybe a winter project? I'll see. If I prep the machine I might be able to work on it a little at a time, maybe have results by next year.

Do you think it would be worth doing? Do you think anyone else would be interested in the results?

16. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

That kind of info would be helpful...to some extent, the only reason it isn't 'that' important to me is, as i recollect none of the plugins that didn't work in Live or other DAWS were ones that I deemed that important.

Now, had it been anything NI, or Spectrasonics, or Toontrack etc... you know, 'valuable' ones.. to me. I might think differently about it.

But if your up for it as a project, I think lots of people would be interested in knowing what works with what.

17. obscure

obscure Newbie

Well studio one is pretty much over hyped by word of mouth now :rofl:

It is not thaaat good but it is good enough that I would choose it over other more-featured DAWs, for my musical purposes.

If it were not around I would be into Live and Cubase. (pc)

18. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

the prob with your idea is that whenever there is a new update you need to start all over again.... so you always need to ckeck what plug in, what version..etc maybe also which team...:snuffy:

to Obscure: S1 is pretty good, I just cant understand why it's so crippled CPU wise....
    above 20ish MIDI tracks the audio starts to crackle...Sonar can handle more than 50 and reaper...well, i didnt see the end of it!lol

19. Burninstar

lysergyk, I might be wrong but I think the reason most of the plugins will not work it is because of the DAW software and the way it interfaces with the plug. If this is the case the most important updates would be the DAW software. I could stay current with these updates. Maybe update the plugins and retest every 6 months or so. Still wondering if it would be beneficial.

We could have benchmarks on how long it took each DAW to scan plugins. Might be useful. What do you think?

20. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

well I'm not really sure I get your drift but...the DAW is the basis, third party plug-ins have to comply with how DAWs work, not the other way around, otherwise it's gonna be a friggin mess! lol...and so far that's the way it is (3rd party P-ins adapt to DAWs), it's just that developers do not take the time to really test their plug ins in all DAW for a reason or another.

yep that might be useful for some people...personally, I dont add plug ins so often so I scan once and then I only rescan when I've installed something new...so my DAW (sonar) launches pretty fast...otherwise I guess sonar is average (about the same as cubase / studio one / samplitude or FL basically...maybe live is a bit faster)
    but if you have to scan our plug-ins each time and time is an issue, then reaper is from my experience the fastest of all the DAWs running under windows