The great DAW debate !

Discussion in 'DAW' started by One Reason, Oct 9, 2011.

1. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

*off topic*
    Perfect example is the native reaper plugs. They have no gui, so my friend wont even try them. Says they are confusing and sound bad.

So I loaded up some skinned plugs by the same dev, Stillwell, (beautiful skins BTW) and he immediately was able to tweak them. In his head it probably sounded better too.

Reminds me of a grade school experiment where we made a blue grilled chese and it tasted bad, but it was the same.
    --
    sG

2. mrcaze

mrcaze Newbie

:wink:

Nonetheless, I'm going to try Studio One 2 right now. Not that Ableton Live disappoints me in the workflow, it's just unable to keep up when pushed hard. Very difficult to mix with.

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I found that I can push Live, more than S1... always having to lower my latency settings to do the same thing as I do in Live.

Your experience may differ, curious to hear your results.

4. hoffy

hoffy Member

I dont give a fuck about DAWS. None of them are going to write a song for you. I'd rather make songs than spend an hour installing and trying something because its new.

FWIW, Ableton for live, coobase for the studio, fl if i just need to make a drum loop :)

5. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

A tip for the Cubase users (on PC), who find the window management annoying:

Always right klick on every window, and if there is an option "always keep in foreground", klick that (you have to do that only one time for each type of window). This solves the issue of the project window "undocking" all the time, when you open another window.
    It works with the mixer, for example. Saved a lot of nerves for me, since I discovered it (even a member from Steinberg couldn't give me that tip).

6. super dertie

super dertie Newbie

Im new to ableton and i'm loving it. From now on i'll be using it to make beats and then continue live recording on my pro tools.

7. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

and you are obviously contributing to make things move forward by your tremendously interesting and utterly brilliant post ...ain't you?

8. google

google Newbie

guys lets not fight

@prismbeats - keep some of it to yourself dude.

@one reason - Ableton Live is best if you just want to make electronic music.

9. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I think you should tone it down a bit with your monkeys tities rodeo shit and so forth, I enjoy figures of speech but I guess you wont last long here....

then if you had READ what was REALLY written and not what you wanted to read...it is plainly stated...if YOU just and then blablabla...not Live is JUST.... when will you stop trolling around and start to contribute? *no*

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

They only solution is to put your music where your mouth is......

I have made death metal, country, folk rock, hiphop, dubstep, jazz ect. in ableton, in reaper, in cubase, in acid, and in fruityloops. I have recorded guitars, cellos, vox, a standup double bass, and live scratching of records (not TCV) in ableton. I prefer to record in reaper now, tho. Comping takes, punch recording, and multitrack recording, is very efficient in that DAW. But usually I compose in ableton and mix in reaper. so?
    Its called engineering for a reason. You have an idea with desired results, and how you get there is your choice!
    They all do the same thing, so, instead of bashing the other DAWs, I utilize ALL the tools in my tool box and take the fastest path of least resistance. :wink:
    --
    sG

11. G String

G String Rock Star

FL for me.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the best, but having invested the time in it I am simply more productive, and hence happy using it. I don't use all of its capabilities and so other more complicated soft is meh - I'm back to square one.

I'm the restriction, not FL.

I tend to like messing with software, just for its own sake - so with DAW I have tried not to, because I want to make music rather than fuck about with fancy software trying to work out WTF is going on, over and over. Software gets in the way of making music, really. It's a barrier.

And there's a real temptation (with VSTs and DAWs) to imagine all I need is some xyz super de dooper bit of kit and I'll be off. I think that's largely illusory, an excuse. Look at Sgt Pepper on 4 track in 67..... or DarkSide in 72/73?

Some dude, forget his name, is making albums in Soundforge! Crazy.

Still, I'm ignorant of the differences. I'm sure there are good reasons to prefer one over t'other, if it really matters. But FL is good for me. Ableton would be my 2nd choice, and I aim to start using it more with a will to switch, because I think the sound quality is better. Ho hum.

12. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

haven't seen more pointless comment in ages :sad:

13. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Well, luckily not YOU decide, what can be discussed here, and what not.

All the things you mention are discussed here too, and what is wrong with it, if some people like to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different DAWs? A decision for a particular DAW is an important one, because you have to deal with it through all production stages. So of course it is legitimate to discuss it, here you can read about the pros and cons of DAWs, so you don't have to try them all out for yourself, before deciding for one.

I have a wise suggestion for you: Why not just read and write in threads, which interest you, and ignore the others? :wink:
    So you can concentrate fully on your PROFESSIONAL demand. :bow:

14. google

google Newbie

@prismbeats

dude

topic title was:

:grooves: :mates:

15. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Prismbeats - This thread was to discuss DAWs on a semi-pro level....simple. I will switch, and\or use multiple DAW's as much as I want as I see fit, It's none of your concern.

I have posted several of my audio tracks and video for anyone who wants to hear them... I 'do'.. as well as talk.

You have already attacked me on a personal level once, I suggest you read the two rules of this forum, and try adhere to them.

As an aside.. the day you take me.. out back and beat the shit out of me, I'll get up and shake your hand..pal.

You can't win an internet fight, let alone one with me in a dark alley.

Nice online courage. :wink:

16. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

@ prismbeats

To write in a thread about topic XY, that we should not discuss XY, is pretty pointless, not to say damn stupid.

Please accept our opinion, that we would like to discuss DAWs here, and troll elsewhere.

17. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

"finally makes some sense"...but someone else posted it...besides ranting and randomly throwing in a "monkey" "titties" or "horseshit" every three words you type on our keyboard what have you done so far?...how about you use your so called professionalism and knowledge of what is proper and what is not to write something useful of that kind?...none of your post in this thread are even remotely relevant *no*

also the question asked here makes sense...it's just a way to ask people to list the flaws/qualities of the DAW they use...I reckon only a few here are using only one single DAW, but if we had to give all but one up (because we can't buy them all!) , you'd actually have to answer the question being asked here by One Reason and the experience/opinion of other people may help you in doing so, especially if you aren't familiar with some of them.

18. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

ahhh... thank you kind folks, for expressing some voices of maturity and reason. It's good to know I'm not the only one that can spot an idiot when I see one. :mates:

Now.. for a poll about my 'Shit eatin' smile' *no*

@ lysergyk - That's exactly the reason for the thread. :wink:

@ Saint, I'm gonna guess between here and Audioz, you're gonna find Prismbeats IP (our resident professional) registered more than one time.

19. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

I look forward to the day you'll leave your bedroom and express yourself the way you did here in the real world...brace yourself for good thrashing!

expressing one's opinion is one thing...insulting and even threatening people another....you obviously cant make the difference so here is a what it looks like:

e.g: civil way/normal people ->"I'm sorry but what you say seems wrong to me because [insert your reasons/points]"
    benighted way/your way-> " your piece of shit opinion is nothing but bollocks...I wipe my ass with your ugly mug you bonehead fucker and just live for the day I'll work you and your monkey ass over blablabla loads of bollocks "

guess its time for a change...how about growing up a bit kiddo? see you around *yes*

20. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep but with all this free posting the thread has gone to sh*t ....
    time to go back to the original topic :boombox:

so am I the only one to find the muti threading in S1 v.2.0 to be quite limited...I reach max CPU really quickly and cant understand why....anyone in the same situation? I also use sonar x1 and reaper and none of them have this prob...weird