The great DAW debate !

Discussion in 'DAW' started by One Reason, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Cubase is so hard to crack because Steinberg has decided to dedicate about an extra 30% of code to the program to "crackproof" it...

they figure by the time these groups decompile the code...they will already be on the next release!!!

Who cares about the extra footprint it takes up on your system... phooey

2. Captain_Future

Captain_Future Newbie

Studio One here.

I need a DAW thats simple to work with and so far i have seen only 2 others which fit that bill (Orion and energyXT) but both are lacking a few features which i cannot do without anymore.

So S1 it is, and i cant see that changing anytime soon either. Its exactly my idea of a good workstation. And more than enough for the kind of music i make, too.

(Oldschool sequencer-synthelektro, Kraftwerk, Jarre, Liaisons Dangereuses, DAF, Invincible Spirit / Invisible Limits, Front 242, etc...)

If Orion had trackfreezing or at least a decent means of doing stems i would probably still use that because its pattern/sequences based system is practically predestined for what im doing... *yes*

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Have any idea whats S1 v.2 is going to add Captain Future?

I missed the leaked videos on their forum. I heard Melodyne would be built in, that's awesome, any other ideas?

By the way, I'm deep into evaluating S1 1.65 right now, and those things I mentioned on Audioz a.k.a I Friggin Rock... I'm coming around to.

Haven't really found any major deal-breakers... yet.

4. Captain_Future

Captain_Future Newbie

No, im afraid i dont know more than anyone does at this point.

But it wont be long now. The news could be coming our way any day now.

EDIT: Removed the Sven Vaeth / AMIGA 500 stuff. Too off topic.

5. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

How does S1 handle freezing tracks?

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

While I never really do any track freezing, even in Live.. I heard some form of track freezing will be in S1 v.2

7. P Bill

P Bill Newbie

Hi peeps my thoughts!!

I love Ableton at the moment it has been my DAW of choice for a couple of years now, everything is quick and easily accessible, hardly any sub menus and everything is a click or a drag away. I have a studio inside a TV & Film production house and we work to tight deadlines, sometimes delivering compositions and mixes within a couple of hours so speed is of the essence for me. Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned Abletons lack of midi editing tricks, and while that is true, I do not miss any of the more advanced midi tricks. Also the ability to quickly import any track or element into any other sessions makes reversions and edits a breeze.

I also use ProTools 9 for audio post work , the studio is linked to the video editing suites that run Avid Media Composer, so the import of OMF is essential. I pray for the day that Ableton will up its video game, when and if that day comes I cant see myself ever launching pro ProTools again.....not that it hasn't been a loyal servant over the years.... it just feels a bit cumbersome after working in Live......

mmmmm think i might start a thread about video in Live....

8. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

IMHO.. this is my workflow..

ABLETON - sound design, composing , arranging, creative.
    ( this is my favorite.. this is where i play alot..I Love Ableton hehe )

PRO TOOLS 9
    - Mixing , Recording/Tracking

WAVELAB
    - Mastering, Simple Editing..
    ( ok its not considered a DAW )

Ok so why do i use 3 different platforms when i can have it done all in one DAW ?

1. To have a new and fresh perspective every stage..by fooling your brain your working in new project..but the fact that your still working on the same files.. ( works for me .. just my 2 cents )

2. Im more convenient By Mixing in protools and mastering in Wavelab..i prefer the workflow that way..

there is no such thing as Best DAW.. or This DAW is better than others blah blah..
    you have to find out what suits best for you and where you are convenient working
    as we all have our own preferences...

the Best DAW is where you are most Comfortable working with.. just my opinion hehe :rofl:

9. crichton13

crichton13 Newbie

I prefer Reaper - it's simple to use (for me anyway!) and it does what it says on the tin.

Giff

10. Nightmoore

Nightmoore Newbie

I also want to chime in and give Reaper some props. I think it sort of gets a bum reputation in these forums and lots of peeps just pass it over like it's some cheap freeware play-thing. I've tried several DAWs, and Reaper is no "entry level DAW" by any stretch of the imagination. Just a few weeks ago the guys over at the Home Recording Show Podcast (the absolute best of it's kind IMHO) went into a ton of detail about the new version and several of them are thinking of dropping Pro Tools to switch to it (one already did). Here's the link: Episode 131

I've seen a few points about Reaper looking second rate or cheap as well. That's the part that got me fired up to post and defend my DAW here. As a graphic designer for 12 years (and a musician as my 2nd profession) I can say with confidence that there is nothing amateur about Reaper 4's GUI or interface. In fact, it's gorgeous. There is some serious pixel-love going on inside that design. And if you don't like it, you can easily re-skin the whole app by downloading a different theme. Here's the current one I'm using: RADO V4. And some of these designers are hardcore about their Reaper themes. Very pro stuff.

I think the thing that turns some folks off on Reaper is the very simple looking plug-ins that come with the install. While some of them work well, it's true that they are very basic-looking. But I honestly don't know anyone using a DAW today that doesn't flip over to 3rd party plug-ins for serious work. I think I might have used the built in EQ with Reaper a few times before switching back to FabFilter's EQ. I can promise you this much: You aren't going to find another DAW that's more stable and can handle a ridiculous amount of tracks and plugins before a lockup or crash. Reaper doesn't even blink when it comes to utilizing 32bit or 64bit plugs either. It just works.

If you haven't gave version 4 a try, I strongly recommend spending a few hours with it. I think you'll be shocked once things start clicking.

11. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Nice post Nightmore, thanks for that.

So... while yes, that Rado theme is better looking than most I have seen, I, personally still have issues with it. I also am a designer by trade (see my sig) and am SOO particular about how things look as I use them, and yes, the on board plugins in reaper are pretty hideous in design and appearance.

There are also some unskinned areas of the GUI that turn me off. I like to have everything skinned, similarly... a la Sonar, or Studio one, or.. as bland as it is.. Live.

After spending some time in Reaper it seemed apparent to me, for my tastes that the work flow, and plugin management was not satisfactory to me, compared to the ease of use of LIVE.

When LIVE goes 64 bit, adds native pitch correction and better editing, no matter how it looks, It's going to be hard to pull me away from it.

Just seems like every other daw entails more steps to achieve the same thing... and in the end, speed of use is very important.

Here is one of my OS designs by the way... More on my site. :grooves:

[​IMG]

12. Nightmoore

Nightmoore Newbie

Wow!!! Very very very nice dude. Sometimes I'm the mood for some dark GUIs....that rocks. You can tell you put a some love in that one! Props!

Yeah, the first time I hit the "FX" button in Reaper to pull up the plugin window, I was like "You gotta be kidding me". I couldn't believe the front-end looked so nice, but some of the other parts looked so old-school. If it helps, you don't see that sort of thing very much while using it. Maybe they do that to keep the install to such a tiny size....I dunno. But I feel ya. I think by the time version 5 hits, the thing will be a full-blown monster to behold.

13. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Agreed, and thanks for that...

Its funny, Waiting on Cubase 6, Live 9, FL Studio 11, Studio One 2, Reason 6, and Reaper 5!

I think they all 'sorta' got their act together, but no one DAW, has won... Yet....Imo.

Meanwhile, I guess I try to put my frustrations aside and try to make do with what I do have, and make the best of it.

Oh to be able to combine what we liked from all, into one Daw, and have it skinned, tailored exactly to our own personal tastes. :rofl:

Cheers!

:mates:

14. google

google Newbie

good point ........... well raised

Vote you fave sequencer there :)

15. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Studio 1 ver.2 is looking good: http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=ara#top

16. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Def. looks promising, looking forward to what else V.2 has to offer. *yes*

Thats a HUGE upgrade on the current Melodyne plugin workflow, may just get me away Live. Its really going to give S1 a leg up on other daws.

I HATE the clip coloring in S1 tho, I wish there were an option, like in Sonar, FL to invert clip colors, dark backgrounds, light notes \ waveforms.

Looks SO much better to me.

17. obscure

obscure Newbie

Don't mean to knock you but it sounds like you should focus on music more than the ............ clip colour :rofl: This is Audiosex after all, not GUIsex.

You shouldn't let that stuff get to you. Is it really that big a deal?

18. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

lol... well, I focus on both I reckon *yes*

19. Nightmoore

Nightmoore Newbie

It's not his fault. It's the fallout effect of being a designer. I do the same thing all the time. If it's well designed and awesome looking, it actually has more "value" to me in my eyes. While I believe this effects everybody to some extent, it totally clobbers us pixel-pushers. I'm to the point now where I can barely stand to use ugly software. When you spend a huge chunk of your working time making things look good, it tends to effect your whole perspective on stuff. ;)

20. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Very well put Nightmoore. :thumbsup: