The essential books for any musician and songwriter (not covering engineering/ instrumental sides)

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Oct 16, 2016.

1. james hill

james hill Newbie

Thanks for your recommendation, Always on the lookout for a good read on song writing.
    ps: you can find it at our sisters place ;)

2. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

he does discuss songwriting, including how modern song formats and styles have evolved over time.

3. Satai

Satai Rock Star

I learned a lot from that book too back in the day. (you can find it on sistersite, no sweat)

However, my advice is be careful and don't mix up the author's opinions with gospel truth. He really slams you with science-this, science-that, tons of sciency-sounding snippets pilfered from ridiculously naive psychological studies, gestalt, etc... and then these lists of "gold standard" pop or rock songs which according to him prove his theories exactly right... Meanwhile, just a little extracurricular thought would reveal that 100% of those songs were written without the author's theories in mind, and often completely contradict him.

The book's got a lot of good actionable info, but the dumbass "TRUE SCIENCE of Great MUSIC! Revealed!!!" type filler is preposterous salesmanship. But I guess it's good salesmanship, since it worked on me, I totally bought it at first. The author also sells "Music Theory Super-Duper Retreats" with him personally teaching you how to write a hit song (I kid you not, he claims to have the exact scientific formula you need to be working toward/listening for), using only the latest "scientific" discoveries he has made, and it only costs a few thousand bucks. Would be an amazingly great deal if only it were true, and science was indeed all-powerful at solving all our musician problems.

As it is, bitch can't even fix my lowerback aches & pains.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. foster911

foster911 Guest

A songwriting session:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2016
  5. Aliens

Aliens Guest

6. foster911