The drum is a member of the percussion group of musical instruments.

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by BEAT16, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Definitely, those listening haven't a clue that it isn't a real kick, but my intention is not to use a canned sample of someone else's or a drum machine in the instances that I do so, having my way within the context of artistic license. However, in the same track that djimbe might be used naturally so as the listener would know (if they know) that it is a djimbe. I use different found objects similarly to "real" percussion instruments such as my lovely copper watering can and a small cooking pot I found.

I'll bang on almost anything hoping that I don't get banged back, but if I do you can sample the impact on my body, cut the highs down to 200 hz or so (to get rid of my high pitched wailing), add some odd harmonic distortion while destroying the signal with 4 buttons in with a 76 style compressor and use it in your next song...license free.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

That's a Golden rule. I've never used a sound someone else has made as it is. But when you take a drum sampler like Addictive, Superior or BFD you have a gazillion ways to tweak it like no one else - just with the on-board FX. And even if I've already used brushed toms as timpani (and no one noticed that), I hardly see a reason to not use a bass drum for a bass drum. That doesn't mean that I'm not using additional percussion - if necessary.
    However, ab-using everyday objects to create new sounds is a proof of creativity.

3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Anyway, it took a bunch of days but I made a mostly drum track played with real drums and percussion with plenty of existential angst thrown in for good measure.

If anyone wants to properly post this so the widget is seen and can be played directly from this page, please do.

https://audiomack.com/merlin-butterfinger/song/beat-420flac