The drum is a member of the percussion group of musical instruments.

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by BEAT16, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

When my little brother
    Would bug me
    And bug me
    Until I just couldn't be
    Bugged no more...

A drum he became,
    A slack skinned
    Siren of a drum

And I a one hit wonder

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Let's go to India, there are still real musicians there.

Best Mridangam Moments | Patri Satish Kumar | Music of India

Kanjira Quartet - Indian Percussion - MadRasana Unplugged

3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Be daf.

4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

An amazing taiko group warmed up for Miles Davis when I saw his last concert at Alice Tully Hall before he died. The weird thing is that no matter how hard I search for this show on the internet it is as though it never happened. It's spooky

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Okay, I've surfed around a bit, there's no data on it.
    Miles Davis's 65 Concerts & Tours www.concertarchives.org/bands/miles-davis

Alice Tully Hall has had 5 concerts www.concertarchives.org/venues/alice-tully-hall

Surely you got caught in a space-time loop in the cosmic universe.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022

Attached Files:

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

OMG :rofl::rofl::hahaha::hahaha: you overdid yourself :lmao:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I looked there as I scoured the web and the show was not listed. The taiko group played for maybe 40 minutes and were freaking high energy awesome, and then after the setup change to load off all the drums and set up Miles band's equipment his band, TWO bass players, one a "lead" bass and the drummer played for a bit over an hour. After that time past, Miles walked really slowly across the stage until he reached the middle, turned his back to the audience and played one note (it might have been C) and held it for maybe 10 seconds, turned and walked off stage. We gave him 3 10 minute standing ovations as it seemed he was too ill to much anything else.

Now all this has been somehow disappeared.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You would have to see if there is a newspaper report in the local newspaper of the city where the concert took place.
    Do you have a date or the year ?

Alice Tully Hall is a concert hall at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in Upper West Side, Manhattan, New York City.

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I lived in Manhattan at the time and have been to Lincoln Center many times. It must have been 1990 or 1991 just before Miles died. The NY Times would have covered it, probably.

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

2022-04-22_133729.jpg

www.setlist.fm/setlist/miles-davis/1990/avery-fisher-hall-at-lincoln-center-new-york-ny-bf54982.html

Miles Davis setlist at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center in New York, United States on Jun 22, 1990
    https://guestpectacular.com/artists.../new-york/avery-fisher-hall-at-lincoln-center

Attached Files:

11. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Thanks, I know that it happened but there is no info on the actual concert. That one song playlist, a Michael Jackson cover is just kinda silly. June 22,1990 must have been the day when the alien race of beings wiped out any reference of what transpired that evening. I always thought that both he and his wife Cicely Tyson were not from Earth...who are you, leave me alone, let go of me, help Beat1........

[​IMG]

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

One would have to go to the newspapers, from the place where this took place, and look in their archives. It would be a job for a detective or a journalist. Can you from your memory shed some more light on the Taiko story. Surely one of the organizer's friends, etc., invited Miles to perform. Miles invited to perform briefly. For me Lois you are a very credible person.

What Happened on June 22, 1990
    https://www.onthisday.com/date/1990/june/22

Miles Davis
    www.onthisday.com/people/miles-davis
    Newspapers

New York Times Archived Articles and TimesMachine
    https://help.nytimes.com/hc/en-us/a...ork-Times-Archived-Articles-and-TimesMachine-
    All Digitized Newspapers:
    https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/
    New York Online Historical Newspapers Summary

https://theancestorhunt.com/blog/new-york-online-historical-newspapers-summary1/
    Westchester County (NY) newspapers on microfilm and paper at all NYS locations
    https://www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp/all/460.htm

Tyson lived to be 96
    She picked up several Emmy trophies, including as the lead actress in the 1974 TV movie "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman," in which she played a former slave who looks back on her life. Her performance in the play "The Trip to Bountiful" earned her the coveted Tony Trophy for Best Actress in 2013. In the 1980s, Tyson was married to jazz musician Miles Davis (1926 - 1991). The marriage was divorced three years before his death.

Attached Files:

13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hi @BEAT16

What do you want to achieve with this thread?
    A "complete" overview of all the drums that exist in the world or do you really have a completely different agenda?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I try to inspire people for other instruments, in the hope that we will hear different and better music.
    Our msuical world has more to offer than just the kick drum.

This soundset and the picture I made once:

The Music Styles & Rhythms Expansion
    www.kvraudio.com/product/the-music-styles-and-rhythms-expansion-by-sonic-sirius
    2022-04-22_180722.jpg

15. Colin

Colin Producer

I do a LOT of percussive stuff on stringed instruments ... mostly guitar. Lots of different ways to play percussively!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  16. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Maybe o/t but if you're going to talk about Miles Davis and opening acts... :rofl:

"I remember one time - it might have been a couple times - at the Fillmore East in 1970, I was opening for this sorry-ass cat named Steve Miller. Steve Miller didn't have his shit going for him, so I'm pissed because I got to open for this non-playing motherfucker just because he had one or two sorry-ass records out. So I would come late and he would have to go on first and then we got there we smoked the motherfucking place, everybody dug it.
    -Miles Davis

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:woot: So you recommend to replace the kick with congas???

18. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I will at times sample my big djimbe, shorten the length and pitch it down for the kick.

If I can muster, I'll put up a shortish track using my percussion instruments which consist of traditional drums and shakers as well as things I've picked up along the way such as a copper watering can, a small steel cooking pot and other found objects.

You're heard them before in things I've posted but this will highlight them.

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Everywhere kick drums a whole generation kick drums - somehow almost every song sounds like the other and the charts also sound the same every week. Rarely that times one makes something different, finally one wants to earn money with the mass taste.

There are so many instruments that mold as samples on the hard drive.

I only listen to older music, because this young generation can no longer produce anything new or different. A beautiful voice is then defaced with autotune, so that it can no longer be heard. The base drum is like the heartbeat of the generation, dull and unimaginative in the unit clock. How can you make other music ? A start would be to deal with other instruments.

20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Right, but then it still sounds and is used like a kick, not like something else. The source doesn't matter because the listener doesn't know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List