The Complete Falacy of Vintage Gear

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by spencer26, Dec 1, 2017.

1. None of the above. I am referring to re-creation of origin . My singing voice as opposed to a software program "doing" my voice, my guitar amp vs. a software emulation or my food analogy. It seems to me that depending on reproductions no matter how detailed or "real" they seem desensitizes us and perhaps changes us, and not for the better. Is it really OK that what is passed off as food these days, a clever concoction of shit ingredients bolstered with artificial flavors to resemble the real thing, colors to fool the eye and indigestible vitamins without the naturally occuring enzymes is all well and good? Accepting the counterfeit as being normal has become the norm, be it with toxic outgassing fake wood furnature, shit fast food that lowers life expectancy, and now as well as with the instruments and tools that we create our passion, music. Even though we as musicians embrace and use this new technology it must be changing us in some way and probably not for the better. We choose to buy into it because it is so accessible and relative to the original hardware counterparts usually much, much less expensive. Which is more calming and healthful, sitting on the ground while listening to the sound of the wind cursing through a field of tall grass in the middle of nowhere, a recording of the sound of the wind in a field of tall grass as you lie on a polyester rug in your room furnished from Ikea or something spun together in Diva with noise and a couple of lfo's and filters. I think that our minds and bodies can tell the difference and thrive on the real as opposed to the smoke and mirrors of the unreal. Rationalizing the least best choice as superior or that it really doesn't matter if given a choice means to me that the future looks bleak for our future and life as we know it. Personally I don't know or understand how most guys go apeshit over fake infated female boobs, it's akin to something like this to me when it come to choosing the real over the imaginary...one holds one's truth in the mind and will not let it go if it satisfies a deeply held need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Gotcha. Couldn't really get what they're doing, offloading some of the processing to GPU? They figured out how to do [what's usually] serial calculations (input of each iteration is the output of a previous one) in parallel? Seems fun. Any more detailed writeups? (ok if in Russian)

3. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

LAMBCHOP{If by "real thing" you mean the original signal,}
    NO i dont mean that! i already HAVE the original signal, what i mean is a signal running through a bunch of high end analog gear.

{If you mean an infinitely small change at the imput}

no i dont mean that either.

{If that's what you're trying to capture, the sound of a noisy analog amp being noisy,}
    lets get back on track here. high end analog is not noisy like low quality analog is.

{Or go hybrid -- stick a horrible headphone amp after your DAC -- that too makes analog noise. Deliciously complex analog noise that's impossible to digitally reproduce (if we're talking exact, or even down to 1/10^9999999999999999999999999 nanobar level) :)}

that not going to accomplish anything hahaha
    i dont know how much experience you have with high end analog gear, but i can tell you a handwired guitar amp based on a tweed deluxe is a totally diffent level than a old 80's cassette deck bruh. lol a great mastering halfinch reel to reel or a great mixing 2inch tape machine with tube preamp is a lot better than a sony walkman from 1990. analog is not all the same.

4. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

LAMBCHOP
    what im interested in is creating a digital plugin that puts out same (very similar) results as a high and analog gear does. if you were to compare both outputs it would be in same ballpark at least ( the level of detail that exists)

i can already get great results with pure digital after following a complex process application of chains of plugins , but the process is not realtime and the process has none of the nonlinearites of same detail level as analog or of the same quality type that is part im interested in developing.
    listen to some amazing things all analog can do

listen to the rich multidimensional harmonics the depth and width the fatness of the transients

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IS NOT THE SAME AS THIS BELOW (first sony walkman)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cheap analog devices have zero in common with high end analog devices! (just like cheap digital devices dont compare to high end digital devices!)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Sure, your actual voice resembles your voice more than a recording of your voice -- digital or analog. Digital will come awful close -- so close that only [digital] modern test gear will know the difference, and an analog copy will be ...what's the tech term I'm looking for? shit? shit.
    No arguments from me. Support your local (live) scene. And I don't mean door/guest list, pay cover & buy beer & merch :)
    Dunno. You know those family size cans of Chef Boyardee ravioli? Cold, from the can.
    I like old stuff, how it looks and feels. Like old guitars & old [t00b] amps. Don't really care about outgassing; some of the stuff I [willingly] feed my body is a crime. Literally.
    Even when there is none. A human mind is a powerful thing :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

You're not talking high-end analog gear, you're talking low-end analog gear, like guitar amps (the opposite of high fidelity, literally copy/paste application circuits from RCA cookbook) e.g. that Britified tweed "Fender" with a pair of (whazzat, el84s?), ersatz-greenback & a tiny allparts 3-spring can? What that horrible chunk of newfangled silicon be doin', hidin' up there all self-conscious in the corner? driving a mechanical relay because can't have no stinkin' SS in the signal path?
    [​IMG]
    Fancy plastic eyelet board. Plastic wire insulation. Radial cathode bypass caps, an orange drop, not a single ceramic in sight! Shame! You murdered all the true vintage analog majik! Murderer!
    [​IMG]

jk, trying on my analog/vintage snob persona. Yeah, guitar amp/cab combo models are junk, partially because you move around -- the cabs talk to your guitar (delay/feedback), rattle microphonic pickups, an obscene number of variables to deal with. And sims don't smell, feel, glow right, or make you feel like a badass like a real rig does :)

7. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

But surely, microphones themselves are analogue ?

Funny, I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned the comeback of Vinyl ? Sales growing year on year.

I think that is a fallacy, but then again, who am I to judge ? If the medium gets more respect from fans and listeners ?

Digital technology may have cleaned up the recording process in terms of sound. But it has also cheapened it...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. spyfx

spyfx Guest

+ 11 for vinyl,IMHO nothing better than vinyl & its journey,going to a record store, digging for vinyl,finding something special,going home & listening to it,while looking at the artwork of the album covers in your hands,the people that made it...

lol does anyone remember Philips DCC ? :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Compact_Cassette

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Surely. As are speakers and most amps. Not sure I follow.
    Yup. You know what else is making a comeback?
    [​IMG]
    Don't get caught with your pants down, invest in the next big thing!
    [​IMG]

Yup. Now children can not only make, but record, mix, master & pollute my interweb with their crazy boogie-woogie musics.

@spyfx re. vinyl: think of how many generations away from the master a record is.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  10. spyfx

spyfx Guest

i don't think anymore & it's taking a lifetime in practice.
    The journey is what brings us happiness not the destination :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. The same logic applies. The greatest stunt vst developers have pulled is convincing the public, hisss and way too much distortion is the way to go

12. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

The difference being one is going back to the human audible domain. The other is heading to the digital domain.

Also worth pointing out the difference in terms of microphone design and technology. And even then, those mics were designed with the medium in mind. EG Ribbon mics originally recording onto wax, Condensers being for tape. Do you throw U87s/C414s in the bin as they're old hat, yesterday technology ?

You miss the point I was making regarding Vinyl. I nearly mentioned cassette. But there was no need...

The entire point is that if the end user becomes more emotionally involved with the music then the artists and producers win. As opposed to it being just another Spotify click... Especially so with Albums.

I don't begrudge anyone else recording music. I guess my point is that music has become so disposable. It's none of the artists fault. It ain't anyone fault. Times change. I can hold more music on an HD than an arctic lorry could hold in vinyl. I remember when relationships ended (if there were no offspring) the biggest arguments were over who gets what music. Does this still happen ?

13. spyfx

spyfx Guest

the Devil & God(good) are best friends,that's the greatest trick.

14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Man, that is DEEP!

15. spyfx

spyfx Guest

hi Sylenth.Will.Fall nice to see you here again ! :like:

16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

By definition, If I were to pick up two identical books, one being hardback, the other being paperback, I am more inclined to give the hardback more room before deciding yay or nay to carry on with it than paperback, yet they are the same.

I think if you can physically touch the device as opposed to playing with a mouse, there is something more appealing in that.

17. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Cheers buddy, it's great to be back too, although I was on holiday for a while and enjoyed that as well :)

oO I have a TON of backlog content to read through!

18. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Trying to bring back tech 30 years dead, Gentlemen, is a crime against nature & abhorrent to God.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. spyfx

spyfx Guest

if you are irritated by every rub,how will you be polished ?

20. spyfx

spyfx Guest

“Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don’t have any surface noise. I said, “Listen, mate, life has surface noise.”

John Peel ( the longest serving of the original BBC Radio1 DJs)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List