The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by Zenarcist, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

An interesting little film if you can find it! IMDB

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  3. Just a moment to celebrate Alan Lomax as being credited as an advisor on the film...we must thank the lucky stars of our lucky stars for the pure treasure of art, music and musicians that we can hopefully have forever in the vault our world cultural archive. Every monent and every single note that he captured with his lens and microphone are more precious than gold, he captured the actual soul of music for us to behold, cherish and learn from through the lens of his cultivated love of music.

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I'm glad some people have the foresight to capture this kind of stuff for the sake of posterity :wink: It's a great piece of cinematography that's well worth seeking out :mates:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  5. oidua

oidua Member

Wonderful stuff, thanks for the tip!
    If interested you might want to google The.Blues.Accordin.to.Lightnin.Hopkins.1970.DVDRip.x264-HANDJOB
    :bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's quite a random thing to come across, but I would classify it as being a serendipitous discovery :) I like how you have the people, the music, the culture, the historical context, and the filmmakers craft all blending together seamlessly. I think it's a good object lesson in creativity, of how the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I'll have to check out some of Les Blank's other work, as it's a name I've never heard before.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Alan Lomax has a ton of stuff submitted to the Library of Congress...he was visionary in his foresight to capture
    unsung genuine Americana before it disappeared under the avalanche of pop tripe,
    and the old bluesmen , hillbillies, and okies faded away

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
  8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest