The biggest problem of home production.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Von_Steyr, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

The biggest problem that i see when listening to material here is that people give up so fast and not try to fix issues that stand out to even a common listener.
    Its a pita to re-do certain instrument/tracks but its a must. Also if you hear something is off, delete and re-record it or find different source material.
    If you feel like its not as good as you hoped it would be then you are probably right, other listeners will notice it. What can you do? Learn, watch YT tutorials, listen to music, watch others mix, dont feel hopeless, we have all been there.
    Its very hard to self produce and if you are new to this, you will get better at this with time as with any other thing in life, just takes practice.

Train every day, no fool`s gonna stop you.

• Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Jackie Chan says that:
    "Everybody can do what I do, but not everybody try as much as I do"

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

So the moral of the story is, if you practice every day, the mixes will still be crap, but if anyone tells you they are, you can knock them out? :P

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Ok, well using your theory VS. and as you know I have been having drum related issues recently, tell me if you think the drums sound a bit better now!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

I think the Op is under the impression that newbies give up too easily. But the truth is that we don't actually know what they do or don't do with our reactions to their work. His statment is backed-up up with nothing, and he gives no reason for saying what he's saying, or even questioning whether he's right in his assumption.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Very philosophical.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Possibly, but it's still an interesting topic, and besides, who can resist listening to that Survivor Track?

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Rated "love it" before i even hit play.
    Though the snare in this track should be really dry, will pm you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Dread_J

Dread_J Kapellmeister

yeah the problem is the snare ...... :rofl:(i think the problem is in front of the monitor, on the chair)

is it "justin bieber the drummer" you are trying to mimick ?
    or is it an ACDC track ? Oh I see .... a celine dion track, hence the girly sound on the drums
    duran-duran ?

oh wait ! fake greetings time ....

your track is the bomb, the dynamics on the drums are awesome, sounds huge
    and the guitar sounds arent ridicule at all, gave me the shivers, thought that malcolm/angus was in the room.

Problem n°1 in home production is listening to morons advices (not pointing fingers) or maybe just the middle one

Of course, I am not trying to create a network of fake friends (i dont need to make people believe in flat earth or "deja vu" paradox)

11. Cafenegro

Cafenegro Member

The biggest problem in home recording is the lack of separation between the instrument being recorded and the monitoring room. You can't do proper mic placement if you are not physically separated from the sound. You can't evaluate what you hear when half of the sound is hitting your ear directly and the other half is coming through speakers of headphones. All sound should come through the speakers. Total isolation of the instrument or voice being recorded is crucial to getting a top performance.

That, to me, is the reason most recordings sound bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Lighten up. nobody charged you to get in!

Oh and if ARE going to insult someone,
    The plural of advice is advice. there is no such word as advices, but unlike you, I wont make a big thing of it!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  13. Sylenth.Will.Fall

That's the first time I've used those new drums. It'l get better :)

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

That or you`ll get old and die of shame.

15. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Not me, I plan on living forever.

16. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Those major thirds give me a chuckle on the main guitar riff. Did AC/DC ever use thirds?

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I had no idea who you were referring to because i have that guy on ignore.

18. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

If I post a photo of my "Home-Studio" area it would be easy understand what is wrong in my "production". :)

20170926_010200.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  19. The biggest problem of the home production is the recording space itself. If you have ever recorded or have heard capture in a great room, think Abby Road Studio at the apex of amazing and compare that to your own in the grand scheme of things. Now of course nor everybody has the space or cash to pay an amazing acoustician to create for us a dream scenario, so we do what we can do with what we have to work with. Probably at least 85% of us record and mix in the same space which has its own challenges, and even if we could throw the money, time and technology at it to make it the best that it can be, that which challenges greatness in 3D would be the shape and as well the size of the space. I'm not at all saying that it is impossible to make great recordings in the context of a home studio and am a proponent that the most important part of a record is a sweet performance, but what I am saying is that if we could compare an equally great performance performed in my room to let's say Peter Gabriel's home studio, both using identical mics and gear, the smart money would be on Peter's room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

the biggest problem of home recording is - money. But the only thing I wanted to comment is how strikingly clubber lang - looks like Mohammad Ali!

21. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I haven't posted in a long long time, so lemme just say i hope you are recovering ok mate. Missed you and some of the cool guys here.
    The thing is Gabriel's studio is a home studio only by name. It's like the queen of England suddenly decided to make a "home" studio in Buckingham lol. And with Peter owning half of SSL the last ten years or so, Gabriel's "home" studio surely puts to shame easily 90% of the "proper", traditionally "built to purpose" studios :) The last years its called Real World Studios and visiting the web page is quite revealing hehe :)
    Cheers