The best synths from the major developers

Discussion in 'Software' started by foster911, Dec 4, 2015.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

Hi there!
    Sorry bothering you with this general question! Maybe answered previously in other threads.

As you know there are vast amount of soft synths in the market. If we omit the ones trying to simulate the physical instruments and focus just on pure electronic sounds (not sample based or granulizers):

1- which synth for which sound?

2- Which synth do you use most of the times?

3- I've found (with studying and listening for a long time) that Image-line synths (Sytrus, Harmor and ogun as you know they're additive) could produce all of the sounds I can imagine. Of course other effect plugins are needed for better shaping the sounds but I am just talking about the non effected sounds. Also their accuracy using the precise envelopes is a factor that you could not find in other plugins, never ever.

4- Is there any sound that mentioned synths could not produce? Of course a professional sound designer could produce any sound existed in his or her mind with mixture of plugins.

Thanks so much for sharing your valuable knowledge!

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

1) That's up to you to decide. (subtractive, additive, FM, PM, PD, vector, wavetable, etc)

2) Vember Surge (subtractive, wavetable, vocoder and FM)

3) Was there a question in there?

4) not really sure which sounds you are referring to. EDM sounds? You can make basses, kicks, snares, hats, leads, supersaw chords, risers, impacts, filtered noise sweeps, etc etc with a subtractive synth of choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. statik

statik Audiosexual

serum can do a lot of sounds, might wanna check that one out. and in case you want to go for actual hardware a waldorf blofeld can be very nice as well

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I like Diva, Lush 101, OP X Pro, Serum, Reaktor, impOSCar, Omnisphere, XILS Lab miniSyn’X, Solina V, TAL-U-NO-LX, Oberheim SEM V and SynthMaster for various things.

6. m9cao

m9cao Producer

Spire, EDM
    FM8, FM
    Reaktor, experimental
    chipsounds, 8bit
    Bazille, digital modular
    Chromaphone, percussive

7. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

"Best" shouldn't be mixed up with "personal taste".

P.S. my personal favourite is Zebra2, but in my prods i use more than that.

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Which synths do I use a lot?===

Which synth for which sound?===

• I may do some acoustic instruments. Luckily, Synth1 has a few GM-like soundbanks. GM also includes some delibarately synth sounds, so sometimes I start from there,
    • Reasynth is good for elementary waveforms
    • m9cao had mentioned above Chromaphone for melodic percussion. AAS also does a few other goot physical-modelling synths

IL Synths?===

Not really keen on them
    '
    Unsynthable sounds?===

I'm thinking of maybe realistic string sounds. AAS string studio comes close, but not as close as i'd like. Perhaps one day the modelling and CPU power will get better and it'll sound closer.

9. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thanks so much for your generosity.:)

One reason for loving my mentioned instruments would be my raising with and knowing how to harness them. I've also compared them in all of my leanings with the other ones even tried to mimic their behaviors for discovering sounds and instruments proprietary characteristics and found there is nothing that I would not be able to produce it maybe because of their real micro tuning of every parameter.